Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2021, 07:44 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I think if an owner is not willing to pay what the market demands then he should pull his children out of school and then he will have someone to swipe credit cards and grab donuts.
When the free stuff runs out and folks don’t have taxpayers paying their bills, they’ll be back to fill positions.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:47 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
The amount of elitism in this thread is... wow.

Ancdotal but our favorite Applebees Waiter changed industries and is not going back. This is a guy who was making $60K MOL. He had clients, not customers and his section was always full.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:47 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I think if an owner is not willing to pay what the market demands then he should pull his children out of school and then he will have someone to swipe credit cards and grab donuts.
There no such thing as “what the market demands” when the federal government is there, paying people not to work!

If the govt would drop this massive welfare scheme, then the market would set accordingly.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:49 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,461,898 times
Restaurants are reopening but cannot get workers ...

Restaurant work is frankly not very desirable employment in most positions available. 90% or more of the people who start in the business eventually leave it for more lucrative and personally fulfilling work. Of course, ownership is different, but what we are discussing here is owners unable to snag enough workers.

It does not surprise me that in a booming recovery restaurant work would be one of the last categories to fill up.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlove View Post
Servers wages are $2.19 an hour. In my experience the friends that were servers during Covid chose to find other lines of work. With resturaunts having limited capacity and not many people going out for many months they just could not get by with that wage when tips were'nt coming in regularly.Now that Covid restrictions are easing they chose to stay in the other jobs they moved to.

In additon- In all honesty would you rather work more than full time and still not be able to meet your bills anyway because the wages are not liveable or would you opt to take whatever benefits you qualifed for? Beacuse that is the decision that many service workers make when they don't find jobs elsewhere. Hence the lack of wanting to fill those resturaunt jobs.

Min wage in it's beginig was established in order to provide BASICS for those that work full time.
I was just on vacation in a resort town where they had an ad in the paper for a waitress, $16 an hour BEFORE tips. The restaurants all over were still short-staffed. Nobody wants to go back to work when the government is paying them the equivalent of $15 an hour to waste their time on the couch.

Here’s the problem: These people now on the government dole aren’t looking at a job paying $20 an hour and thinking....hey, that’s pretty good money for a basic job. They are thinking.....hey, I’m already getting $15 an hour for doing squat, so do I really want to stand on my feet all week just to earn $200? (That’s the $5 extra they’d come out with by working, times 40 hours.)

Time for the government to stop enabling a generation of entitled lazies.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:53 AM

2,335 posts, read 815,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
There no such thing as “what the market demands” when the federal government is there, paying people not to work!

If the govt would drop this massive welfare scheme, then the market would set accordingly.
So why has the unemployment rate gone from 14% down to 6%?

Old 06-07-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
So why has the unemployment rate gone from 14% down to 6%?
Unemployment is measured by how many people are actually looking for work, and can’t find a job. Very few people are in that predicament.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:56 AM

2,335 posts, read 815,625 times
Quote:
Unemployment is measured by how many people are actually looking for work, and can’t find a job. Very few people are in that predicament.
Oh the U6 rate had a similar drop. Got an answer?

Old 06-07-2021, 07:56 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times
Quote:
I was just on vacation in a resort town where they had an ad in the paper for a waitress, $16 an hour BEFORE tips. The restaurants all over were still short-staffed. Nobody wants to go back to work when the government is paying them the equivalent of $15 an hour to waste their time on the couch.

Here’s the problem: These people now on the government dole aren’t looking at a job paying $20 an hour and thinking....hey, that’s pretty good money for a basic job. They are thinking.....hey, I’m already getting $15 an hour for doing squat, so do I really want to stand on my feet all week just to earn $200? (That’s the $5 extra they’d come out with by working, times 40 hours.)

Time for the government to stop enabling a generation of entitled lazies.
None of this is true. Your opinion sure but none of it is fact. Truth is the hospitality industry was hit hard by covid and the people who worked those jobs don't want to go back ,there is no job security. Can't blame them.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:57 AM

Honestly, liberals have the most disastrous policies. Is their objective to get everyone onto a UBI, thus “equalizing” everybody? Everyone gets the same basic stipend.

If this nonsense keeps up, there will be two segments of society:

1) The educated or otherwise skilled and productive people earning at least $50,000 per year, and paying taxes to support....

2) ....the unskilled and semi-skilled workers who will stay at home on the government dole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies