Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 10:27 AM

6,743 posts, read 6,733,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
What a lame nanny country.
And an unscientific one. They let government run all over them with no data or science to back any of it up. I'm sure Newsolini would have loved to have padlocked basketball nets, but even here in far left California people wouldn't go for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 10:27 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,878,692 times
Michigan cases are falling at least in part because of the vaccine. There is no way to know (now) if they would be
falling without it. So with or without restrictions - there is no information about it, and it's senseless to try to draw a conclusion.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:29 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,966,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Actually, it's nearly none of that.

COVID restrictions are about the resources - and Canada has fewer of them than the USA. It's just math. Canada (per capita) has fewer hospital beds, and is therefore less able to deal with larger concentrated outbreaks. As a result - they take their restrictions seriously.

And their numbers show it. Whether or not American values play into it - there is no question the restrictions work, unless you think somehow Canadians are naturally immune.
Bahahaha! When did Canada EVER come close to maxing out their resources?

When did America, for that matter???

And WHY IN GOD'S NAME ARE RESTRICTIONS STILL IN PLACE TODAY? Canada and the USA practically have herd immunity now...we are wading in excess vaccine.

Canada has a 7 day average of 50 deaths! in a country of over 30 MILLION! Let me repeat: FIFTY!

Holy Cow. I wonder what that number needs to get to in order to be able to watch a hockey game again. I'd bet there are at least a dozen flu deaths every day in Canada!

Wacky!

Old 04-28-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Michigan cases are falling at least in part because of the vaccine. There is no way to know (now) if they would be
falling without it. So with or without restrictions - there is no information about it, and it's senseless to try to draw a conclusion.
Except the CDC Director told them to close down and they said no, and were proven right. As was Governor Abbott in Texas when cases dropped after he lifted the mask mandate. The data to justify lockdowns is nonexistent, they're about virtue signaling and silly sheep willing to do whatever a government agency says.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
And WHY IN GOD'S NAME ARE RESTRICTIONS STILL IN PLACE TODAY? Canada and the USA practically have herd immunity now...we are wading in excess vaccine.
One challenge is that Canada does not have the science the U.S. does. They raise 99% less biotech VC than America and it has a brain drain of engineers into this country. The result is vaccines and advanced medicines don't get designed or manufactured there, which is why only 3% of them are fully vaxxed.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:45 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Padlocking outdoor basketball nets won't do a thing to stop it. So much data now showing how closing parks and open outdoor spaces can actually make the spread worse by sending people inside. But science or data don't seem to be part of policy there, and certainly weren't when Gavin Newsom locked down California.

The other problem is how low vaccination rates are there. They have virtually no biotech industry to speak of and no vaccine manufacturing capacity as a result. Thankfully, my uncle got a single AstraZeneca dose, but they're in really rough shape up there.
That’s shocking, I didn’t know that Canadians played basketball.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:46 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,878,692 times
Except the CDC Director told them to close down

Sure. Because the CDC is ultimately about zero risk to anyone - without concern to freedoms, cash, or anything else. That's their job. And the right call, from their prospective. It's the leader's duty to make the smart decision based on the CDC advice.

In this case - sure looks like cases are dropping anyway, due at least in part to vaccination, with no way to know how much is from vaccines and how much is other reasons.

But the fact remains, which you did not comment on: Canada has far fewer cases - and far more restrictions. Sure seems like a connection to me...and everyone else.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:59 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,966,338 times
Quote:
Except the CDC Director told them to close down

Sure. Because the CDC is ultimately about zero risk to anyone - without concern to freedoms, cash, or anything else. That's their job. And the right call, from their prospective. It's the leader's duty to make the smart decision based on the CDC advice.

In this case - sure looks like cases are dropping anyway, due at least in part to vaccination, with no way to know how much is from vaccines and how much is other reasons.

But the fact remains, which you did not comment on: Canada has far fewer cases - and far more restrictions. Sure seems like a connection to me...and everyone else.
Baloney. Per capita the USA now has LESS cases than Canada.

Canda's 7 day rolling average of cases is 8,000. The USA's is 54,000.

The USA has more than 10x the population of Canada.

So even with half of the country with almost no restrictions, we are STILL doing better. Canada should restore the freedoms of their citizens. Their case count will be unaffected.

You'd better check your stats.

Old 04-28-2021, 12:23 PM

2,187 posts, read 1,383,127 times
I am in Canada and there are people here who are so fed up they have started the process to move to the US. There is a curfew in place in some cities where you’re not allowed to leave your house after 8pm. Many old people died alone because their family was prevented from being with them, and then the funerals were severely restricted too.

Based on what I see there is a large number of people who don’t believe in these restrictions but there isn’t a culture of standing up for your beliefs here. So most shut up and take it. People are also pretty anal about following the rules, wear your mask slightly below the nose at a store and employees immediately talk to you.

I used to describe them as disciplined, now I think they’re just tame.

Fly to Canada and you are forced to be detained at a hotel for 3 days in quarantine, there is a mandatory covid test and then another 2 weeks quarantine at your home. Newly arrived immigrants are NOT subject to this. Draw your own conclusions.

BTW I was in Senegal where almost no one wears a mask, no social distancing at all, and no one cares about covid yet they have virtually no infections. Masks, washing hands and social distancing have no discernable effect.

Old 04-28-2021, 01:11 PM

6,389 posts, read 2,712,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
There is a curfew in place in some cities where you’re not allowed to leave your house after 8pm.
That was tried here in California. You couldn't be out for Non-Essential (another great 'buzz word') business between 10PM-5AM.

I would sure love to see the science that told them that COVID is a nocturnal virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies