Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2021, 10:35 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
That doesn’t quite work when “living” now means having the latest cell phone (or any cell phone), a TV plan that includes HBO and Netflix, Northface jackets for the winter and Nike wear for the summer, fashionable athletic shoes, and getting nails done on a regular basis.

All of these are luxuries that someone on MW should aspire to getting. A MW earner who has time to play Candy Crush should spend that time developing a better skill set.
You have no freakin' clue how fast food workers get their schedules, do you? A cell phone is a requiremnt for holding down a service job.

We need another Jakob Riis - because you people have no idea how the other half lives. None.

Old 05-02-2021, 10:37 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Pell Grants are based on the parents' income.

https://studentaid.gov/complete-aid-...how-calculated

You didn't know that?
No, no....you have it all wrong. I will explain:

They use the parents’ income for dependent students. But aren’t we talking about independent adults who are struggling to support themselves on minimum wage, and how to get out of being stuck in a MW job at age 35 or 40?

IOW, a 19-year-old living at home with his parents, who earn $80,000, will not be eligible. That makes sense. American taxpayers should not have to pay to send a kid to community college when his parents are middle-income.

But a 40-year-old asking whether we want fries with that, and then taking a bus home to her shared apartment, will get the full $6,000. I’m in full support of that and wish more people would take advantage.

Old 05-02-2021, 10:38 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
No policy on earth is all good or all bad. It is not a black/white issue, there are a lot of grey areas.

In certain cases a minimum wage can be good policy if it's set sensibly. The problem is that policymakers don't tend to be sensible on this type of topic. There are more angles to the issue than just economics, but even if we only look at the economics, the picture isn't clear.

Old 05-02-2021, 10:38 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You have no freakin' clue how fast food workers get their schedules, do you? A cell phone is a requiremnt for holding down a service job.

We need another Jakob Riis - because you people have no idea how the other half lives. None.
OK....a cell phone with a Tracfone service plan for $70 a year, including the phone itself.

Old 05-02-2021, 10:42 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Like what? I put in the budget for utilities. When I was young and earning bottom dollar, my only bills were rent, the phone, and the parking space in the garage.

What other bills are you talking about? The monthly bill for the Smartphone? The bill from MACY’s for cosmetics? The bill from Kay Jewelers for the new bracelet? Sorry, under MW, you can’t buy any of that. That doesn’t mean one can’t squeak by paying for just the basics.
You seriously can’t think of bills? Apparently you don’t pay your bills,

Old 05-02-2021, 10:45 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:

Totally. Not one clue. And it is beyond pathetic.

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
I just answered above. Community college is free for low-income. You don’t need that much education to move beyond MW entry level job.
You are aware that even a BS or BA doesn't give you much more earning power than a high school diploma, aren't you? Especially if there is no job related work experience with the 2yr degree.
Also you glaringly left out any sort of health or prescription insurance, and seem to think that everyone lives where cheap and reliable public transportation runs 24/7. I can tell you that even in small cities it is beyond difficult for employees to find that public transportation that enables them to work the extremely variable schedules that many/most minimum wage employers utilize. Maybe you should venture out into the world where the peons actually work and live?

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
And you can get (and sustain) an easier-to-carry "flip-phone" for a whole lot less than the latest electronic plaything loaded with a ton of threats to your already-limited net worth.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-02-2021 at 11:34 AM..

Old 05-02-2021, 10:49 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Do you own a business?
Yes.

And it’s one that doesn’t rely on a business model where my employees would rather be dead than do work.

Old 05-02-2021, 10:51 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
No, no....you have it all wrong. I will explain:

They use the parents’ income for dependent students. But aren’t we talking about independent adults who are struggling to support themselves on minimum wage, and how to get out of being stuck in a MW job at age 35 or 40?

IOW, a 19-year-old living at home with his parents, who earn $80,000, will not be eligible. That makes sense. American taxpayers should not have to pay to send a kid to community college when his parents are middle-income.

But a 40-year-old asking whether we want fries with that, and then taking a bus home to her shared apartment, will get the full $6,000. I’m in full support of that and wish more people would take advantage.
flip burgers until one is eligible to be independent from their "indifferent" parents income to qualify for the Pell grant, which is 24?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies