Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2021, 05:01 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The idea that employees should double up and do without so that business owners can make a profit is revolting.
If business owners didn’t make at least a small profit, there would be no job at all. What’s so revolting about getting a roommate or two? Is it really that horrific to share an apartment or rent a room in someone’s house? That’s what college grads do when they first start out. Why should an unskilled person with no real job skills be entitled to more?

These liberals are always so generous.l.with other people’s money.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Really?

You didn't have to pay for gas or car insurance? No car payments and no repairs? Only the parking space?

No clothes? No shoes?

No food?

No health insurance, or copays?

No Christmas gifts?
Nope, Minimum wage people can take public transportation. They’re not automatically entitled to a car.

And I went over the food, insurance, etc., in the original budget. Again, if you have no real job skills, your choice is to:

1) Get some career training, via taxpayer-provided training, to increase your market value, or
2) Live very modestly, joining forces with others similarly situated

The problem with liberals is that see things from only one side: what they think people are entitled to. They never consider the cost of providing that to them. In this case, increasing the MW to $15 would drive half the businesses to close shop. You all can say, “fine.....they didn’t deserve to have a business,” but the fact is that there would be tens of millions of fewer jobs available.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:12 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,681,864 times
Why can't a business do all those things people are telling low wage workers to do. My good friend goes out for dinner sometimes for business with three other company people and the dinner tab is usually $1500.00 dollars. Leo Fender who owned Fender Guitar was known to eat out of a can of pork 'n beans at his work bench for lunch and he wandered around the factory picking up small screws off the floor to keep them from being swept up. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Why can't a business do all those things people are telling low wage workers to do. My good friend goes out for dinner sometimes for business with three other company people and the dinner tab is usually $1500.00 dollars. Leo Fender who owned Fender Guitar was known to eat out of a can of pork 'n beans at his work bench for lunch and he wandered around the factory picking up small screws off the floor to keep them from being swept up. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Because skilled, educated people who earn more get to live better than minimum wage workers.

I went to college because I didn’t want to live a low-income lifestyle. (And besides, pork isn’t kosher.)

Old 05-02-2021, 05:26 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
They need to live in such a way that they can pay for the dentist, and they probably shouldn’t have a car if they are on minimum wage.And knowing how precarious their situation is, they should take a few courses to learn a trade of some sort.

And remember, we are talking about only 2% of workers. To hear you liberals talk, you’d think that small business owners are paying most of the staff at minimum wage.
No car for you!

Old 05-02-2021, 05:30 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
That's like 1.9 million families, which contributes to the over 10 million children in the US living in poverty. They are usually clustered in places which make some towns and cities have ghetto. Low wages contribute to many social problems. Its like dominoes the problems caused by low wages are manifold.

No single parent making minumum wage is going to have birthday parties for their kids, pay for little leagues, there won't be sleep overs, low self esteem, Where do they get the time and money to better them selves?
She even said it was her parents that were the bootstrappers and not her. She dont know anything. I dont think it's possible in minimum wage but I can map out my journey from poverty to being able to give my kid a head start.

Work two jobs, save, save, save. Dont get sick or gave a child that gets sick. Dont get laid off. Dont get fired. Dont get injured. Dont get divorced. Dont become the victim of a natural disaster, dont become the victim of a crime. Dont have an unexpected expense. Have a very small family, keep it it one kid. Work, work, work. Keep doing that for 30 years. You'll be fine.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
If one can afford a car with it's expenses - insurance, maintenance, repairs, gas - then one isn't doing too badly. A late model phone is a luxury. And who says one must have the latest IOS updates? My daughter until a few months ago had an iPhone 5 I gave her and was able to make and receive calls just fine.
To run necessary apps for retail jobs/restaurant work and Doordash/Grubhub.

When’s the last time you talked to a “little person”?

You need the IOS updates to run the apps. That’s Apple’s way of making you upgrade your phone.

The car part is actually the opposite. You can get a beater and driver it til it dies. Doordash/Grubhub and a few other delivery services only care that the car works. Some require x year model which is stupid but that’s a corporate decision. I would take my 1999 Camry over any American sedan made in 2021 no question about it.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
She even said it was her parents that were the bootstrappers and not her. She dont know anything. I dont think it's possible in minimum wage but I can map out my journey from poverty to being able to give my kid a head start.

Work two jobs, save, save, save. Dont get sick or gave a child that gets sick. Dont get laid off. Dont get fired. Dont get injured. Dont get divorced. Dont become the victim of a natural disaster, dont become the victim of a crime. Dont have an unexpected expense. Have a very small family, keep it it one kid. Work, work, work. Keep doing that for 30 years. You'll be fine.
....or, get some vocational training after high school. Taxpayers will even fund it.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No car for you!
That’s right. If you want to earn enough for a car, you have to acquire job skills that pay more than minimum wage. I was 24 before I could afford to buy one. Costs a lot to maintain a car!

Old 05-02-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That’s right. If you want to earn enough for a car, you have to acquire job skills that pay more than minimum wage. I was 24 before I could afford to buy one. Costs a lot to maintain a car!
No it doesn’t in comparison to your other expenses.

You drive beaters and do the repairs yourself.

You GQPers keep talking about phones too.

This ain’t 1985. You have to have a relatively new phone because necessary apps require the latest iOS updates. I’m pretty sure the iPhone 6 is about to be obsolete if it hasn’t been already.

You need a smartphone with app capability to do low-level jobs in 2021.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies