Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many genders are there?
1 2 0.85%
2 193 82.13%
3 9 3.83%
4 1 0.43%
More than 4 but some finite number 9 3.83%
Infinite 21 8.94%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 04:03 PM

18,412 posts, read 19,064,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Actually yes. You are demanding me to stop recognizing biology. But whatever ... do what YOU like. Just don't expect the world to bow at your feet in subservience.

Ah ... there it is .. the personal attack. Always stoop there when there's no logical way to explain your feelings.
There was no personal attack in my post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 04:04 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,975,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
No one teaches children to be trans. Being educated about trans people is not controlling. All people deserve respect trans included.
Do yo understand child development? No?

You don't teach a 5 year a girl can be a boy and a boy can be a girl. They don't have the intellectual capacity nor emotional maturity to understand

You do teach them to be kind. To everyone. With no strings attached.

What part of that do you not understand? Would you show a child a video about rape? No? Why? Because of what I posted above. They aren't old enough to process it.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:05 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,975,215 times
Quote:
There was no personal attack in my post
Then I thank you for your compliment that I am tolerant and compassionate.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:08 PM

18,743 posts, read 7,641,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Sad commentary that we need to even do this, but that's where we are in 2021.
From the results of your poll so far, it sounds like only 20% of us are like that.

Not enough to bother with.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:09 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,388,967 times
Quote:
Teaching kids not everyone is the same and should be treated with respect and dignity is controlling the mind? Seems you want kids to live in a world and taught only what you deem appropriate? Doesn’t work that way.
That's the job for parents. Teachers are not social workers.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:10 PM

13,585 posts, read 10,004,314 times
Quote:
Actually yes. You are demanding me to stop recognizing biology. But whatever ... do what YOU like. Just don't expect the world to bow at your feet in subservience.

Ah ... there it is .. the personal attack. Always stoop there when there's no logical way to explain your feelings.
No one is insisting you stop recognising biology.

However, our understanding of biology is not complete, and your insistence that biology around sex and gender identity is absolute is not conducive to acceptance of any research that may challenge our ingrained perceptions.

What if you’re wrong? You don’t seem to even entertain the idea that what you think you know may not be the definitive answer.

I would argue that there’s lots of biological concepts that change over time as we discover new things about them. Why should this be any different?

Old 05-03-2021, 04:11 PM

18,412 posts, read 19,064,771 times
Quote:

You don't teach a 5 year a girl can be a boy and a boy can be a girl. They don't have the intellectual capacity nor emotional maturity to understand

What part of that do you not understand? Would you show a child a video about rape? No? Why? Because of what I posted above. They aren't old enough to process it.
Of course not but if billy showed up in a dress I’d make sure my kid didn’t make fun of him. If my kid asked why I would say maybe he wants to be a girl today. Most kids just want a basic answer. You give age appropriate answers. Telling a child billy in a dress has mental problems and he’ll never be a real girl is the wrong approach in my book

Old 05-03-2021, 04:12 PM

14,719 posts, read 14,692,694 times
I recognize two genders and that there are people who have felt from birth that they were born into the wrong one and feel the need to change. I also knew someone years ago who was born androgynous (born with both sex parts, identified as one of the genders), so I suppose that would be a third category.
Beyond that, I guess I am too old to understand.

Old 05-03-2021, 04:13 PM

18,743 posts, read 7,641,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
From the results of your poll so far, it sounds like only 20% of us are like that.

Not enough to bother with.
Now, if you were to rephrase the poll, into more Democrat-compatible speech, the answer might be different if you ask it again:

Q. How many genders can we fool people who aren't paying much attention, into believing there are?

Old 05-03-2021, 04:15 PM

8,552 posts, read 4,788,365 times
Quote:

True, although we never tried to restrict our kids in expressing themselves; we sort of let them pick what it is they liked and didn’t really try to lead them to water, let alone make them drink. The value in that isn’t really about the gender debate, but rather about teaching them how to make their own decisions and live with the rewards or consequences, since as adults they will have to do that anyway.

In the meantime, it is absolutely our jobs as parents to prepare them for what is out there, and that includes exposing them to gender issues. My wife and I take great pride in curating those kinds of things carefully, and letting them build their own ideas. When they ask questions, we really try to be as neutral and factual as possible. You can’t shield your kids forever, get a head start by at least making it a gentle glide slope into learning about this stuff. When it all hits the fan during puberty, at least they a) have some sort of exposure to it and b) you’ve hopefully built the kind of rapport where they come to you for questions and info because they trust you.

Example: my wife and I both adore The Fifth Element, and our girls do too. Ruby Rhod is this rather odd character, obviously male by sex and a rather notorious womanizer, but dresses and acts outrageously effeminately. We shield the more, eh, explicit parts of seducing pretty much every flight attendant on the Fhloston Paradise, but they are always curious about this character. “Is that a girl or a boy?” “It’s a boy who acts like a girl.” No statement on whether that’s awesome or evil or anything else, just that it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies