Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 07:15 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,089,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It's much less likely that you're being played if you're on the "don't" side of things.

Not doing something unnatural isn't exactly a sign of having been manipulated, after all.
So have you never ever had a vaccine of any kind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 07:27 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,264,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
Where I am we don't have a political divide on taking the covid vaccine. I hear reasons for and against from a variety of people.

The only commonality within these groups is whether the person watches tv. Those who watch television are fearful and anxious. Are enough people getting the vaccine? How dire are the side effects? The latter even from those who have taken the jab. Now they're fretting about long-term effects of the shot.

Those who don't watch tv do not have anxiety about these things, even though they are aware that there are risks.
I watch a lot of TV. Now, I don't watch a lot of "news", if that's what you really meant to say.

I got the vaccine (Pfizer) as soon as I was eligible. I didn't jump in line, and I didn't rush to an appointment intended for the BIPOC population that simply refuse to get the vaccine - be that scared, can't bother, whatever.

I will say the "the vaccine was rushed" cry, from general anti-government (bureaucracy, dumb rules, etc) crowds, is pretty ironic. We got Pfizer - and the others - because the FDA/CDC said "go get an effective and safe vaccine, and forget about the typical years-long red tape."

The incidence of side effects, new cases, hospitalizations, and sadly deaths from those who have been vaccinated is WAY less than contracting Covid. That's simple science and math.

All that said, I do agree that there should be no forcing of the vax on everyday people.

We (most governments) are STILL making decisions based upon some attempt at "eradication" or "control". That's just not going to work much longer.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:49 AM

18,874 posts, read 8,527,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Well keeping politics out of this lasted an entire 5 posts.

Why is someone who says they are not getting the Vaccine instantly labeled an "Anti-Vaxxer"? Right there you are bringing politics into the discussion because everyone wants to believe there are two sides to this. The "Liberal Pro Vaccine" group vs. the "Right Anti-Vaxxer".

I know several people who are not willing to get a vaccine that is not fully approved(it only has an Emergency Use Authorization) with unknown long-term effects that have only a 95% effectiveness, for something that has a survivability rate of over 98%. But they get their flu shot every year.

If someone feels that they are at risk and want to get the vaccine, then go right ahead. I'm not here to or expecting to change anyone's mind either way. But whether or not you get it should be a decision between you and your doctor and your family.
That is exactly right, and the best recommendation IMO if you are on the fence.

It has been a very interesting development IMO. The negative reactions to the vaccine on this forum and other blogs coming from the right.

Used to be in my medical experience that the anti-vaxxers tended farther left.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
You’re assuming folks that don’t get the vaccine are “anti-vaxxers”. The fact is that it’s a rushed vaccine with serious side affects...and let’s not forget, “my body my choice”.
I should have left out 'anti-vaxxers'. Most people don't seem to know or appreciate the patriotic need for vaccination right now.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Bingo

Many think that folks should think and do as they do, when in fact, they’re simply parroting the media because they believe most everything they’re told.
Good point.

What media?

Does one accept the vetted and peer reviewed medical view or the politically based alternative-right medical misinformation?

Old 05-04-2021, 07:53 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,257,545 times
Quote:
You’re assuming I’m not vaccinated.

Folks have the right to go as long as they like.
I'm just testing your theory. We readily accept all sorts of chemicals and interactions where the long term affects are unknown. It seems odd to draw the line at the vaccine for an infectious disease that, despite a "low" mortality rate, still managed to kill a huge number of people (in the U.S. and globally) and maimed countless others, by being both serious and exceptionally contagious.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Do NOT equate concerns over THESE vaccines with "anti-vaxxer" thinking. They are NOT the same thing, and by conflating the two, you're clouding your own perception of the issue and signaling that you don't even understand it.

It's about SAFETY. These vaccines have NOT been approved. They have NOT been through the same rigorous testing and certification required of every other previous drug or vaccine.

I have no problem with vaccines, generally. I do have a problem with people who see them as a means to exercising social or political power over others, and not the personal, private health care option that they objectively are.
I should have left out 'anti-vaxxers'. Most people don't appreciate the need for even low risk people to get vaccinated at this point in time.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:57 AM

45,675 posts, read 24,089,000 times
But it's a great vaccine, it's a safe vaccine, and it's something that works." Trump.......

So some of you disagree with this.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:58 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,737,319 times
Your children can not be allowed to contaminate the schools, your place of employment needs to be secure.

YOU ARE A DANGER TO SELF OR OTHERS

Old 05-04-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Even doctors were/are pressured by political forces. I spoke to my doctor about hydroxychloriquine and she said she wouldn't prescribe it. I know doctors were told by big companies not to. Sick because it worked.
HCQ was a possible remedy proposed early on on the Pandemic before we had more information, and more treatments. It has not panned out as being very useful. Many docs have no experience with it. I have, and may be the only doc here who has actually prescribed it. IMO my wife actually benefited from it with her case.

The 'big companies' if anything were hospitals where the docs worked. New meds and new indications for old meds don't just show up on a hospital formulary over night. They need time for review, discussion, and then possible adoption before the actual utilization at the bedside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies