Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 09:00 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Does one accept the vetted and peer reviewed medical view or the politically based alternative-right medical misinformation?
You're doing neither. Betcha didn't know that.

Unless you're reading the journals and studies for yourself, you're taking someone's word for it, so you'll just agree with whatever you want to and call yourself informed.

Don't feel bad. Everybody does it. Becoming more independent regarding information can be done, though, but it does take more effort than most people are willing to invest.

Just read the source docs, whenever you can. That's all you really need to do, most of the time. People generally don't. Legal complaints, studies, polling methodology... nobody looks at any of it. They just take the opinion they were assigned by their favorite infotainment outlets and argue it as their own. I'm not immune, by the way, but I do recognize that the problem exists and I try to counter it the best I can, so there's that. Most people won't even acknowledge it and would never accept that they could be wrong to begin with.

Certainly, you wouldn't dispute that this issue - the virus and the response to it - has been spectacularly politicized. Once that happens, you MUST view information about it through a political lens, as well as medical and anything else. Because it's been politicized, people will do what they do with political issues and lie about it for political gain. It sucks, but it's reality.

Finally, I'd like to point out that a scientist can be bought just as easily as anyone. If you want to dispute that, prepare to describe how you feel about opposing conclusions produced by scientists in the green energy and fossil fuel industries, because I'm going to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 09:05 AM

18,805 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
There is no such thing as "Fed Money". All of gov't is funded by taxpayers. Whether we pay for it now or are on the hook to pay it back later is irrelevant.
Sure there is Fed money. Money from thin air, exchanged for Treasuries.
Taxpayer money could come into play later, depending on future Fed action.
But more than likely new Fed money will be created to pay off old.
We didn't pay for it with taxpayer money, and whether we pay with future tax money is of course relevant, but not yet known.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You're doing neither. Betcha didn't know that.

Unless you're reading the journals and studies for yourself, you're taking someone's word for it, so you'll just agree with whatever you want to and call yourself informed.

Don't feel bad. Everybody does it. Becoming more independent regarding information can be done, though, but it does take more effort than most people are willing to invest.

Just read the source docs, whenever you can. That's all you really need to do, most of the time. People generally don't. Legal complaints, studies, polling methodology... nobody looks at any of it. They just take the opinion they were assigned by their favorite infotainment outlets and argue it as their own. I'm not immune, by the way, but I do recognize that the problem exists and I try to counter it the best I can, so there's that. Most people won't even acknowledge it and would never accept that they could be wrong to begin with.

Certainly, you wouldn't dispute that this issue - the virus and the response to it - has been spectacularly politicized. Once that happens, you MUST view information about it through a political lens, as well as medical and anything else. Because it's been politicized, people will do what they do with political issues and lie about it for political gain. It sucks, but it's reality.

Finally, I'd like to point out that a scientist can be bought just as easily as anyone. If you want to dispute that, prepare to describe how you feel about opposing conclusions produced by scientists in the green energy and fossil fuel industries, because I'm going to ask.
I'm a recently retired internist and closely follow the orthodox medical. And for amusement I read the alternative-right stuff too.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:11 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,510,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Sure there is Fed money. Money from thin air, exchanged for Treasuries.
Taxpayer money could come into play later, depending on future Fed action.
But more than likely new Fed money will be created to pay off old.
We didn't pay for it with taxpayer money, and whether we pay with future tax money is of course relevant, but not yet known.
Ok, so an insolvent country is printing money from thin air to subsidize multi billion dollar pharma corporations. Got it. All I need to know.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:17 AM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Even doctors were/are pressured by political forces. I spoke to my doctor about hydroxychloriquine and she said she wouldn't prescribe it. I know doctors were told by big companies not to. Sick because it worked.
You may want to evaluate whether political pundits gave you that impression. And compare their motivations to the Osteopathic and Hippocratic Oaths.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Ok, so an insolvent country is printing money from thin air to subsidize multi billion dollar pharma corporations. Got it. All I need to know.
Create, not print. It should be self-evident why our federal gov't/Fed cannot be insolvent.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:53 AM

13,612 posts, read 4,937,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Instead, we have a 2 tier society that is in the works for those whom are vaccinated and unvaccinated. The "unvaccinated" will be looked at as a public health risk, disease ridden, "dirty", "danger to society", exiled, out casted. .
Yes, they are a public health risk. That's the whole point.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:57 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
No more than you are. Yet doctors are reporting long-term effects from contracting Covid-19. Given the medical information available to us, I'd rather take a chance on the vaccine than on the virus itself.
That’s obvious, and I don’t claim to be. I also don’t tell people what to do because muh say so.

You have as much right to taking the vaccine as those that don’t choose to, especially due to the medical information available to us.

Old 05-04-2021, 10:02 AM

13,612 posts, read 4,937,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Yeah for some this has always been a compliance game. The masks, the social distancing, the lockdowns, the reporting people for having backyard birthday parties, all of it. The vaccine is just the next step in that game, where you show your compliance not with largely useless symbols and gestures but by actually injecting something in to your body, by their command. It's most satisfying for them when you don't want to comply but are pressured or forced in to it.
So these evil people are doing all of this just because they get a thrill out of making you comply? Governors in most states, many of them Republicans, issued mask mandates during the worst of the pandemic, while sitting around gleefully rubbing their hands together and chortling about how you were under their power?!? Mwah-ha-ha-ha!

Old 05-04-2021, 10:08 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
There is a difference between capitalism and corporatism. In the case of the vaccine I will go one step further. Operation Warp Speed was paid for by the taxpayers. We are equal shareholders in the final product.
which is why every single vaccine taken and scheduled is/was "free" to the citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies