Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2021, 02:57 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,981,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This isn't the first time a child got hold of a gun and shot someone, happens all too frequently here.

I would propose tighter gun restrictions that would prevent such easy access to the point that something like this could happen. Yes it is rare but it's symbolic of our gun problem.

But while your at it did up some stats on kids bringing golf clubs to school for violent confrontations.
LIKE WHAT?

Please be SPECIFIC. What law could prevent all instances of this?

This happens what a couple dozen times per year in a country of 330 MILLION???

What could you possibly do to stop all bad things like this from happening?

Please let us know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 03:01 PM

57,409 posts, read 26,370,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
In modern, advanced societies, people carry guns.

In repressed, backward societies, only the elite rulers have guns.

We've reached the greatest heights of humanity and beaten back the greatest evils with guns.

Where have you been for the past 500 years??
Sure we're not repressed or backward at all, we need to have police cars in front of schools and hardened windows and buildings, we are and advanced civilization.

Thank god we can protect ourselves against our tyrannical government, mass shootings are just a byproduct of our great liberty.

Last edited by Goodnight; 05-07-2021 at 03:56 PM..

Old 05-07-2021, 03:06 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,981,173 times
Quote:
Sure were not repressed or backward at all, we need to have police cars in front of schools and hardened windows and buildings, we are and advanced civilization.

Thank god we can protect ourselves against our tyrannical government, mass shootings are just a byproduct of our great liberty.
So you want to go to a society where only the rulers have guns?

Do you think you're smarter than Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, or Ben Franklin?

Do you think the American Indian would have liked to have firearms instead of having to steal them from the Europeans?

How about the Jews in Germany in the 1930s?

What kind of an ignorant person would you need to be to VOLUNTARILY wish for your government to disarm you?

YIKES!

Old 05-07-2021, 03:10 PM

30,652 posts, read 19,354,541 times
Quote:
Thank you President Harris and her Dummy.

Old 05-07-2021, 03:15 PM

2,828 posts, read 828,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh I dunno, perhaps because heads of state are politically motivated targets?

Is the average American Joe citizen a "target".

Understanding the term "potential risk" and applying it to why so many Americans think firearms are a solution rather than the problem might be a place to start.
Well, there are so many illegal guns floating around and you have no way of knowing who is and who isn't carrying, so you assume every one is potentially carrying, so as a result many citizens feel they need to carry to protect themselves and their family. For me I have been safely carrying for about 25yrs with no incidents.

Old 05-07-2021, 03:20 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,538,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
In modern, advanced societies, people carry guns.

In repressed, backward societies, only the elite rulers have guns.

We've reached the greatest heights of humanity and beaten back the greatest evils with guns.

Where have you been for the past 500 years??
Oh come on. You don't really believe that nonsense do you?

Surely you're not one of those who subscribes to the U.S. as the only nation reaching the "heights of humanity" and the only one taking a hand in beating back the "greatest of evils".

In WWI it was all but over before Americans arrived in strength of numbers. In WWII it was two full years and the air war over Britain already won before Americans began arriving in strength of numbers. In Korea it was OTHER commonwealth nations soldiers fighting the last of the vicious, even hand to hand battles holding the line at the 38th parallel that saw the Chicoms lose the taste.

What do those very major conflicts, with those involved have in common? They were fought and won by the majority of the players Brits, Indians, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, along with Gurkhas, Indonesians, Polish, Finlanders among a host of other participants and yes even Americans, not being from countries where the "carrying of guns" was a normal concept.

Certainly the "greatest of evils" was beaten back by the combined numbers of any number of nations NOT repressed, backward societies.

The "carrying" of a firearm was not a popular concept, and to this day is still not representative of the majority in the U.S.

And as to your last; you've shown by the foregoing you're no more of an authority upon the majority of those 500 years than anyone still alive today.

Old 05-07-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh sure; demand an easy-peazy answer to a complex problem. This problem, if you hadn't noticed, has festered and been dismissed by 'thoughts and prayers' for decades.

It is not going away because you wash your hands due to finding no 'one-size-fits-all' answer to it.

How many households in the U.S. do you think the answer to a problem like bullying is some form of violence, any violence?

Specifically; how many households do you think it's possible the progeny have heard something like "if he did that to me or mine I'd cap his azz"? Think that happens more in the U.S. than elsewhere?
That is a certain segment of society not all.

Old 05-07-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
Many events have taken place in the last year that cannot be called civilized. To the second part of your question, assuming you are talking about homicides,

(Swimming pools)Did the victim die by drowning?

(Cars)Was death due to hit and run? Vehicle tampering?

(Golf clubs, baseball bats, hammers, etc)Was the victim bludgeoned to death?

(Yachts) *See drowning*

(Motorcycles) Ever hear of "Hells Angels"?

(Steak Knives)Was the victim stabbed?

It is all relative to how the person died. I don't see how guns fit into any of the above, yet they happen to the extent they cannot be called uncommon.
Guns are just a convenience, If someone really wants to kill someone they will use any means available. I don't think a swimming pool will work because most people, at least where I live don't own one, Florida might be a different story though. Are you aware more people are killed with hammers than with guns?

Old 05-07-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
MY GOD!.....look at those prices!
Yes they are not cheap and ammo is out of this world. I would love to have a tactical weapon but it is price prohibited for now.

Old 05-07-2021, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I get a kick out of how marksmanship is an excellent method for teaching anger management. The ability to calm the body, clear the mind so to put rounds on target..................
Really, wow never heard of that one. Although I have felt very calm after some time at the range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies