Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2021, 01:09 PM

30,213 posts, read 11,874,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
I don't know why everybody is acting like "Is this it? That's all they've got?" These are simply the first indictments. It's a bit early for anyone to do a victory dance. There are still investigations ongoing. There is still a grand jury empaneled.
The indictments aren't required to come down all at once.

Trump is not going to be charged. And they could not get his accountant to flip. That is not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Why are you sure this is all they got?
I think they have a lot more but are starting here.
Interested in how you came to that conclusion.

A lot of this is for show. If there was something huge about to come out they would have led with it.

From what I have read they need the accountant to tell them where the bodies are buried so to speak. Without his cooperation this is probably about it. And perhaps there is simply not much there to begin with.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:17 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,098,895 times
This is only the tip of the iceberg. Would not be surprised if this is the "opening act." Prosecutors are probably just trying to put pressure on Weisselberg to flip. But if he doesn't, they'll move on with building their cases without him.

People like Weisselberg and other powerful people in the Trump org made sure that Trump properties worldwide were undervalued to the federal gov't, but overvalued to lenders to get credit. Big time fraud.

I certainly hope Trump supporters here on City-Data don't think "this is it" when it comes to Trump Org and Donald Trump legal woes.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:19 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,144,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Trump is not going to be charged. And they could not get his accountant to flip. That is not good.
I don't assume he will be charged, nor do I assume that he won't be.
I would be surprised if these were the only indictments handed down though.
Many people around him have have shown a willingness to fall on their sword for him, so I would not be surprised if there are more that will.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
First, I'll be surprised if that's the only charge that comes out of the investigation, but only time will tell us the outcome.

Second, the exact charge(es) will depend on the amount of money involved. The companies that I've worked for take this sort of thing very seriously. Anything of value, I believe over $50, gets reported as income on the employee's W-2. For example, we used to have an office raffle in December that was paid for by the company. Anybody that received a prize over the limit had to fill out a form in order to authorize the reporting of income.

Unreported income of six or seven figures is not a small thing. Being an accountant, using ignorance of the law does not seem like a strong defense (for Weisselberg) to me.

If Weisselberg committed such major crimes he would have flipped. He seems to be treating this like a nothing burger. Just seems to me that all the chatter from the left about how corrupt the Trump org is all the hundreds of millions he owes to all sorts of shady people according to them. Just endless allegations of illegal activities. Vance has his taxes, his bank records, etc. Access to basically everyone with the approval to turn over every rock and at least so far its minor stuff in the big scheme of things.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:27 PM

7,825 posts, read 2,739,556 times
Quote:
If Weisselberg committed such major crimes he would have flipped. He seems to be treating this like a nothing burger. Just seems to me that all the chatter from the left about how corrupt the Trump org is all the hundreds of millions he owes to all sorts of shady people according to them. Just endless allegations of illegal activities. Vance has his taxes, his bank records, etc. Access to basically everyone with the approval to turn over every rock and at least so far its minor stuff in the big scheme of things.
There is always wishful thinking. This is much broader than what the Trump camp eluded to over the last week. They've got the goods on Weisselberg.....now let's see how he behaves.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:30 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,144,514 times
Quote:
You do know that the Trump Org has a proven history of criminality, don't you? (Think Trump U and his charity...)
Characterizing Trump Org as "corrupt" is not only reasonable, it'd been proven in court before.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:40 PM

13,248 posts, read 21,865,100 times
Quote:
We're one month into a Grand Jury that was empaneled for six months. What do you think they're going to do for the next five months? Play board games?

Old 07-01-2021, 01:45 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,688,804 times
Interestingly the facts of the case are about an employee for either filed his taxes incorrectly or didn't claim the apartment as a fringe benefit. Mr. Bragg has filed over 100 cases against Trump because of his political party at the expense of the NY taxpayer. This continual anti-Trump hatred goes beyond common sense and IMO shows total lack of intelligence.

Old 07-01-2021, 01:50 PM

7,825 posts, read 2,739,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Interestingly the facts of the case are about an employee for either filed his taxes incorrectly or didn't claim the apartment as a fringe benefit. Mr. Bragg has filed over 100 cases against Trump because of his political party at the expense of the NY taxpayer. This continual anti-Trump hatred goes beyond common sense and IMO shows total lack of intelligence.
Are you apart of the Trump legal team? That's the narrative they are driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies