Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2021, 05:46 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,524,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yeah... It's a problem when national health care doesn't include prescription meds. Goes quite far in explaining why health care is Canadians' number one concern.
My number one concern is the safety and wellbeing of my family, yet they are currently very safe and have great wellbeing.

Something being a major concern does not indicate a deficiency. As you know.

You appear insincere by continuing to make that sophomoric point.

Old 06-18-2021, 08:41 AM

1,094 posts, read 884,020 times
The real problem is that health insurance coverage itself drives prices up.

We need healthcare that does not depend on coverage.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:01 AM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Yeah, it does. As I explained in another post.
No, it does not. Stop lying. The Canadian government explains...

Quote:
"Under the Canada Health Act, prescription drugs administered in Canadian hospitals are provided at no cost to the patient. Outside of the hospital setting, provincial and territorial governments are responsible for the administration of their own publicly-funded drug plans. The public drug plans determine what prescriptions drugs are listed and under what conditions for their eligible recipients.

Most Canadians have some access to insurance coverage for prescription drugs through a patchwork of public and/or private insurance plans. The federal, provincial and territorial governments offer varying levels of coverage and decide who is covered and what the patient and plan pays.The publicly-funded drug programs generally provide drug plan coverage for those most in need, based on age, income, and medical condition. Many Canadians and their family members have drug coverage linked to employment and some Canadians may have no effective drug coverage and pay the full cost of prescription drugs."
https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...medicines.html

BIG reason why 2/3 of Canadians have private health insurance. Canadian health care doesn't cover prescription meds.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Does someone have a link to this poll?
Yes, I already posted the link:

Quote:
The Canadian government itself reports both of the following:

Canadian health care covers 70% of health care costs with the other 30% of costs paid by private insurance or out of Canadians' own pockets.
2/3 of Canadians have private health insurance to cover what Canadian health care does not.

Health care is a major concern among Canadians exactly because Canada's national health care is flawed. In fact, it was the number one concern among Canadian voters beating out their concerns on Climate Change, Cost of Living, Taxes, The Economy, Immigration, Education, etc.

https://www.ipsos.com/en-ca/news-pol...-for-Canadians

Old 06-18-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Actually, I am in favor of a public healthcare system that cuts the profit out of health care. The big insurance companies make an average of a billion dollars per year -- there are five of them. Hospitals and drug companies should not profit.

Then again, I believe the same should be true of public transit, utilities, and education.
Your belief about who profits the most is typical of most uninformed Americans. It's not health insurance companies or even hospitals. The problem with the high cost of health care isn't the insurance companies. The health insurance industry has a profit margin of only 3.3%.

https://naic.org/documents/topic_ins...ind_report.pdf
That's the National Association of State Insurance Commissioners, the association of that holds health insurers' feet to the fire if they think their practices, etc., are questionable.

MUCH higher profit margins in the following, which is WHY costs are so high...

Outpatient Care Centers: 15.9%
Other Health Care Providers' Offices: 14.2%
Pharmaceutical Industry: 13.8%
Physician's Offices: 11.5%
Medical and Diagnostic Laboratories: 11.1%

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...stract/2762308

https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/the-1...profitabl.html

And just for fun, compare the above profit margins to those of some well-known corporations...

Much-maligned Walmart's profit margin is only 1.97%
https://ycharts.com/companies/WMT/profit_margin

Meanwhile, Apple's and Google's (including Android products and spinoff services) profit margins are:

Apple (iPhone, iPad, Mac computers, etc.): 26.38%
https://ycharts.com/companies/AAPL/profit_margin

Google (Alphabet): 32.41%
https://ycharts.com/companies/GOOG/profit_margin

And look at how many people just can't live without their iPhone or Android cell phone. Idiot lefties insist a cell phone is a necessity, but no lefty says one word about either Apple's or Google's egregiously exploitative profiteering, which negatively impacts the poor the most.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:49 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Yes, I already posted the link:
Take this poll in context.

It was taken 3 weeks before a federal election.

The question was, " Most important issue in determining your vote ".

Healthcare is always one of the main topics in any federal election. It doesn't mean 37 percent of Canadians are dissatisfied and want to get rid of UHC. It just doesn't.

For example, I could be one of those in that 37 percent, because I see the threats against UHC coming from right wing forces. Healthcare is often a number one priority on how I vote. Especially when I vote provincially.

So, like I thought, the poll isn't saying what you are trying to make it say.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:51 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
The real problem is that health insurance coverage itself drives prices up.
Up to 35% of the increased cost of medical care (in the US) is due to coverage. Technology is the biggest driver of medical costs, up to 65%.

I had to put "in the US" because people in other States don't view healthcare the same as Americans do.

To show you how technology and Demand (coverage) work in tandem, every new piece of medical technology that comes out Americans just gotta have it yesterday.

That is not how it works in other States, especially Britain where hand-wringing paper-shuffling bureaucrats can take up to 9 years to approve a new piece of medical technology and even then there are 100s of strings attached.

Take those $12,000 motorized wheelchairs or the $18,000 scooters. In the US anyone who wants one can get one and Medicare, Medicaid, and insurance companies will pay for it.

That is not how it works in other States. You have to demonstrate need and unless you're an amputee or paralytic, you don't get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
We need healthcare that does not depend on coverage.
There's no feasible way to do that.

The only way you could is for the the government to set up a healthcare account for each person over 18 and then make annual cash deposits to the account.

You use that money as you see fit and when you die, the government takes the balance.

That would convert your system into a cash-only and cause the loss of 8-10 Million jobs permanently.

If you truly want to fix your system:

1. Learn how your healthcare system evolved and the many errors by your federal and State governments and the American Hospital Association created the nightmare you hate so much.

2. Force the federal and State governments to undo the errors they made.

3. Force your government to force hospitals to abandon the Hospital Model like the rest of the world did and starting using the Clinic and Policlinic Models that the rest of the world uses.

4. Enjoy a 60% reduction in medical costs which in turn will result in a 60% reduction in health plan costs.

5. Start enjoying the $1,000s you'll save every year.

And, if there are people who still cannot afford health plan coverage, we can look at some way of setting up a program for them.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:57 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
She still hasn't even addressed my question. An honest debater would. She's great with quick denunciations of others though.

Fortunately, that is not an American trait, just a certain subset of them.
The majority of Americans want some form of UHC. I know my friends and family do in the US.

Her comment about finding it humorous seemed to be saying that her plan was superior etc. It may have been, but because she wouldn't answer basic questions about her plan, we will never know.

However in the bigger picture, her plan alone doesn't represent everyone in the US.

Old 06-18-2021, 12:02 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
No, it does not. Stop lying. The Canadian government explains...

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...medicines.html

BIG reason why 2/3 of Canadians have private health insurance. Canadian health care doesn't cover prescription meds.
LOL. Now you're arguing with yourself!

Make up your mind Informed Consent.

This is your portion of that post

Yeah... It's a problem when national health care doesn't include prescription meds. Goes quite far in explaining why health care is Canadians' number one concern.

To which my answer was: "Yeah, it does. As I explained in another post."

To which you've now stated (in a rather personal attack I might ad): "No, it does not. Stop lying."

So let me get this straight; either YOU were lying and my agreeing with your point is agreeing with you lying OR you just like arguing the same point over and over again to the extremis that even when someone indicates agreement with your point you're prepared to disagree and accuse them of lying in the process.

Which is it?

Old 06-18-2021, 02:49 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,671,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Beware! Your "Cadillac of insurance" plan may, without justification, suddenly deny an expensive medical claim. An insurance company may make you jump through hoops to get your claim paid covered.

I have seen patients needing to hire an attorney to fight their insurance company to pay a claim that the policy clearly covers.
Welp Blue Cross has paid out $250,000 and counting this year so far and there's no cap on coverage, so there's that. If I needed a second back surgery they'd cover every penny, too. All my inpatient PT, everything outpatient PT all of my doctor's appointments (warning in general: with back surgery you WILL be calling the doctor.... A LOT once you get home), all my medicines, all covered at 100%. I don't know why you guys get so worked up about deductibles. Yes, some are lower than others but I've paid IDK 4 grand out of pocket, the out of pocket max. Is that even one percent of the $250k surgery I just had? The United States by far has the best medical technology and innovation in the world. It's not even close. Well, it costs money. The care I've received just from my surgeon alone (not counting also his office in general), I hope the guy makes 600k a year. He deserves it.

Nobody- American, Canadian, Brazilian, Chinese is going to convince me the government can top my private health care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Not for our medical system!
Get a job that offers good insurance, problem solved. If you're disabled you get Medicare though I agree the two year wait is too long. If you are poor you get Medicaid which is free health insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
No kidding and the fact that poster would use that silly notion is just one more indication of how removed from the reality of it being their fellow countrymen raising this issue and - NO ONE ELSE!
LOL. The OP of this thread is RIDICULOUS, I pointed that out earlier. You all think we want UHC, we don't. Let's be real, the majority of posters on CD are probably mental midgets that live in Mom's basement. Of course they want all the free government handouts.. the shoe fits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The majority of Americans want some form of UHC. I know my friends and family do in the US.
No, we don't. Look at what the ACA did. M4A would just f*** the middle class too but much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies