Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 06:50 PM

5,861 posts, read 3,300,267 times

Advertisements

Trades trades trades,,when your car is broken down, your plumbing doesn't work or you electric goes all the masters degrees in the world won't help you. Many people look down on the people that are in our trades. They are so important. We need them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 09:21 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,424,199 times
I agree with Bill, college has become mostly a scam. Especially now when there is so much free information online, and you really can learn whatever you want on your own. Do you really need a professor (or graduate student) standing there lecturing?

I got a lot of formal education and it was interesting, because I did most of the learning on my own by reading. I didn't soak up information from professors. And the degrees looked good on my resume. But when I wanted to learn actual job skills, I learned from books and from work experience.

I never paid any tuition, because I had scholarships and assistanceships. I would NOT have gone if I had to pay.

I know that you can go all through formal education, to the PhD level, without really thinking very much. It all depends on the individual and whether they are there to learn or just to get a diploma.

So yes, it's mostly a scam. But how else can employers decide if an inexperienced applicant is serious and hardworking? Well now you can't even tell by their college degrees since, as Bill explained, most of them are just learning how to spot racist micro-aggressions.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:30 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Right on, Bill.
If I didn't know better, I'd think he was a conservative.
Maybe he's come to his senses.
In any event, he hits the nail on the head.

He seems to most resemble the stuff I believe in ... every time I hear him speak. This guy should run for president. Chuckle.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:05 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
I would love to see county colleges offer the top ~12 as rated by employER demand bachelor degrees that do not require a masters to gain employment..

ME, EE, teacher, RN, Mgt, Mkt, Acct...

Old 06-09-2021, 06:11 AM

9,520 posts, read 4,346,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
There are many jobs where the recruiter wouldn't even consider a candidate without a degree.
That's because there's a glut of degreed people out there and requiring a degree is an easy, albeit lazy and of questionable value, screening technique. Just because a position "requires" a degree doesn't mean a degree is actually necessary to do the job successfully.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:14 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
New Rule? Maybe for a single old single guy who lives in his own world....lol.

I grew up in middle Canada, moved to middle USA and raised three kids.

Most definitely the 'go to college' chant that started years ago pushed kids into going to college to get a career. There was a definite focus on academics as opposed to trade skills in schools.

But started with my oldest (33 years old), I did see a shift....more kids going to technical colleges to figure out what they were going to do. By the time my youngest (24 yrs.) hit high school there was a big shift.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:18 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
That's because there's a glut of degreed people out there and requiring a degree is an easy, albeit lazy and of questionable value, screening technique. Just because a position "requires" a degree doesn't mean a degree is actually necessary to do the job successfully.
This is the problem. The people making those job requirements went through the process of getting degrees. So, they require degrees in turn. "If I had to do they have to do it." It's not about actual skills, it's more of a rite of passage at this point.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 06-09-2021, 06:25 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Honestly. If I were Cornell, I'd ask Maher to give back his "useless" degree in English and history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Colleges do not even teach you how to learn....much less how to make money
That's on you if you didn't learn anything in college and didn't make any money afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
What percent of college graduates end up working in the field of their major?
Answer: 27%
That's not a bad thing. My college education also taught me how to take my degree in journalism and adapt it to other fields. I spent 17 years as a journalist, and for the past 21 have been working in fundraising and communications for nonprofit organizations. I know former teachers who are CEOs, former social workers who are teachers, former accountants who are real estate brokers, etc.

Old 06-09-2021, 06:28 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,359,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I agree with Bill, college has become mostly a scam. Especially now when there is so much free information online, and you really can learn whatever you want on your own. Do you really need a professor (or graduate student) standing there lecturing?

I got a lot of formal education and it was interesting, because I did most of the learning on my own by reading. I didn't soak up information from professors. And the degrees looked good on my resume. But when I wanted to learn actual job skills, I learned from books and from work experience.

I never paid any tuition, because I had scholarships and assistanceships. I would NOT have gone if I had to pay.

I know that you can go all through formal education, to the PhD level, without really thinking very much. It all depends on the individual and whether they are there to learn or just to get a diploma.

So yes, it's mostly a scam. But how else can employers decide if an inexperienced applicant is serious and hardworking? Well now you can't even tell by their college degrees since, as Bill explained, most of them are just learning how to spot racist micro-aggressions.
Legitimate job and volunteering history, starting as teens through undergraduate internships.

In addition to giving future employers the ability to assess the traits you mentioned, they also impart invaluable life skills such as interpersonal conflict resolution, time management, organization, and teamwork.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:05 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Right on, Bill.
If I didn't know better, I'd think he was a conservative.
Maybe he's come to his senses.
In any event, he hits the nail on the head.
I loved that video. It was just so on target!!

Btw, I think Maher is becoming more and more aware of just how crazy most of those on the far left actually are.

In fact, maybe we should have a term for former liberals (such as myself) who have become aware of how crazy many far left views actually are.

Maybe "awakened" for us vs. "woke" for them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies