Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2021, 01:44 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times

Advertisements

Juneteenth has long been celebrated near me.

Furthermore, it’s not new for a nation to celebrate emancipation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Not fake. It's been a Texas holiday since 1979.

You see it took 2 years for word to reach Texas that the slaves were freed.
June 1865...is when Texas found out the slaves were freed.

It's been a holiday in Texas since 1979. It's taught in Texas schools. It's been celebrated by Black Texans for the 25 years I lived in Texas.

It's certainly not fake but it seems as if TPTB want to turn Juneteenth into a national holiday.
Exactly. It’s not new, definitely not in TX. Apparently, it has been celebrated in pockets elsewhere and has grown in recent years.

I’ve always recognized Emancipation on August 1 with the rest of the formerly British Caribbean but it’s nice to commemorate it here as well.

Old 06-18-2021, 02:22 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
And for 400 yrs many whites have been persecuted because of their heritage, denied jobs because they weren't the right color, not been able to go to college because they didn't qualify for scholarships because they weren't the right color.

Enough of this already - most these days don't know who their grandfathers are let alone their descendents.

Have you ever stopped to ask why POC who immigrate here from around the world hold such distain for African Americans? It's because they see so many waste the opportunities they are given and blaming it on color.

You can never erase history - reparations or not and asking for this is only widening the racial divide because somewhere along the way - every person has been wronged - despite their color.
Who the heck was being favored over many whites before the Civil War? The Chinese immigrants in California?

I certainly knew who my grandfather was and my great grandfather. And my great, great grandfather. Your viewpoints are very strange.

Old 06-18-2021, 02:31 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
I am against it as long as they continue to try to change history.
Just how the heck is having Juneteenth Day trying to change history? Because Lincoln proclaimed freeing the slaves well prior to that?

Old 06-18-2021, 03:38 AM

11,788 posts, read 5,798,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Who the heck was being favored over many whites before the Civil War? The Chinese immigrants in California?

I certainly knew who my grandfather was and my great grandfather. And my great, great grandfather. Your viewpoints are very strange.
No my viewpoints aren't strange yours are. At some point in time in each and every family - one of their relatives have suffered. Whether your relatives are Hispanic, Irish, German, Jewish - an ancestor has been denied life, employment, ect based on their race, ethnicity or religious beliefs.

You may know who your grandfather and great grandfather was but how many young blacks these days know? How many blacks in the urban areas have a man in their life - who isn't into crime themselves - to lead them, teach them values, right from wrong, ect...

Let's call the day what it is - Emancipation Day - Juneteenth just sound weird. It's funny though that we want to acknowledge emancipation while tearing down statues that remind us of that past period of history.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:40 AM

24,634 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Juneteenth has long been celebrated near me.
It will also be celebrated in the inner cities this weekend.

A lot of fireworks... Just like every other federal holiday weekend.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:44 AM

24,634 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I don't care if this date is celebrated, but slavery didn't end on that day. Very strange to state that.
Well Democrats would have you believe slavery has never legally ended in America. They would know since it’s their institution.

I believe 155 years, including an 8 year black president who didn’t even know about it, is sufficient time to accept responsibility for your actions without bringing up slavery but Democrats beg to differ.

Old 06-18-2021, 04:55 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

I've only ever seen fireworks for New Year's Day and Independence Day as a general matter where I've lived. None of the other federal holidays. As someone else mentioned in this thread, there are--for all intents and purposes--observed holidays and celebrated holidays. Juneteenth has certainly been celebrated by some in the past, but I wonder how things will be for the nation going forward.

Old 06-18-2021, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Well, you enjoy!

Old 06-18-2021, 05:07 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,294,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
My state never had slavery - it was illegal here from day one. AND we sent in one of the first brigades of men to fight for the Union side.

I am so sick of this anti-white race hatred - which is all this "Juneteenth" crap is.
There’s no anti-white bias in celebrating Juneteenth.

No one is taking anything from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies