Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2021, 03:10 PM

1,813 posts, read 2,232,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I get that. But that includes sick time, vacation, etc...not 44 paid holidays, as the thread title states.

Is that excessive? Probably. But I doubt that every employee gets a month of vacation a year. They likely get 2 weeks, and it goes up with more time on the job. Just like a private sector job.
I get:
13 paid holidays
The week from Christmas to New Years off - generally 3 additional days
10 days sick leave, but would be granted more if needed
Unlimited PTO so long as my work is done and my boss agrees, if I was hourly I would have 25 days vacation

So about 51 days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 03:10 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,312,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Some of this stuff is just wrong. I'm a hiring manager at a federal agency and it's absolutely false that minorities get hired easier. I've been through roughly 50 hiring panels and not once is there ever any way to hire a minority easier. Never.
That is complete horse pucky and you know it.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:11 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,687,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
It IS out of line, read the whole thread. According to the BLS 10 days is the average PTO for private company.
According to the BLS, the average amount of PTO a private sector worker gets is 10 days after they have completed ONE year of service. This number does not include sick days or paid holidays.

A federal worker who has completed one year of service gets 4 hours of leave per pay period worked. 4 x 26 pay periods is 104 hours/8 hours = 13 days of leave per year. So the comparison here is that federal workers get 3 extra days than the average of PTO for the private sector. So in the private sector, some employees after one year get many more than 10 days of PTO and some get a lot less. But it averages out to 10 days.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:11 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,331,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So how much vacation days do you folks get? How many paid holidays? How many sick days?

I'm curious as to how this compares to market standards.

I'm not talking small business owners or sole proprietors...I'm talking the norm in the market.
10 holidays
10 sick days
unlimited vacation

In other words, if I need time off, I ask for it and get it. The holidays are basically just mandated vacation days and the sick days are 10 days where I can take time off on short notice/don't need boss' approval.

Private sector.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:17 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,903,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
WoW! That four days more per year than I get in the private sector! I'm outraged, I tellz yah!
I know right....

Europeans have like double to triple this

Old 06-18-2021, 03:21 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,527,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
That is complete horse pucky and you know it.
Yup. And they get promoted easier too. I knew someone with a Master's and around 10 years service who was skipped over so that the black woman she trained, with a bachelor's and six months on the job, could get it. The white woman sued - and WON. She got the higher job and the differential in pay for the entire two years her case was pending.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:52 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,078,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
They work for US!

Government work isn't about the benefits.

It's to serve US.

Don't you get it?
So you want people to slave away in terrible conditions, with bad benefits and bad pay?

Government work is a job, in fact it is thousands of different types of jobs. Those jobs are subject to competitive forces just as private sector jobs are. Why should anybody work for the government for less (combination of salary and benefits) than the private sector will provide?

Old 06-18-2021, 04:26 PM

25,931 posts, read 12,960,297 times
Last time I checked, a federal gov't workers total comp package was ~1.5 times higher than the same job in the private sector.

I think the fed worker's package was worth $86k, and private was $58k.

Gov't comp package growth is out of control.

Old 06-18-2021, 04:35 PM

1,282 posts, read 572,939 times
PTO and other benefits (insurance, pension) have traditionally been the carrot dangled for someone to turn down a high-paying job in the private sector.

I know very few government employees who actually use all of their PTO. Most bank it for retirement payout.

Old 06-18-2021, 04:42 PM

958 posts, read 1,108,862 times
The entire thing is 100 % bull$**** to please the thugs and liberals that kiss there feet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies