Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2021, 02:09 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,384,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I wouldn’t go so far as to say they could do a line of Coke, but it is true that government, while employing some skilled and useful workers, ALSO keeps on the payroll slackers and incompetents who would never survive in private industry.

I live in the DC area. It’s almost a running joke. A neighbor, pre-COVID, told me he hit the jackpot when he got hired (he is a minority, so easier for him to get hired), and laughed when he told me he only goes into the office twice a week. Another guy I know complained that he had to go in ONCE a week, saying that he “had stuff to do around the house.” Still another told me to call her only during “working hours,” when she’s at home, because the evenings are her free time. (WTH??)

I’m for getting government workers back to work, at LEAST four days a week, and laying off the goof-offs and the screw-ups.
Dont get me wrong, I agree with some of this that you are saying. but when folks use insane comparisons like doing coke on a desk, im probably going to call them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 02:15 PM

1,711 posts, read 809,130 times
They also get Mother's Day off as well.

Old 06-18-2021, 02:18 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,209,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
It's Birthing Person!

Old 06-18-2021, 02:26 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Quote:
I wouldn’t go so far as to say they could do a line of Coke, but it is true that government, while employing some skilled and useful workers, ALSO keeps on the payroll slackers and incompetents who would never survive in private industry.

I live in the DC area. It’s almost a running joke. A neighbor, pre-COVID, told me he hit the jackpot when he got hired (he is a minority, so easier for him to get hired), and laughed when he told me he only goes into the office twice a week. Another guy I know complained that he had to go in ONCE a week, saying that he “had stuff to do around the house.” Still another told me to call her only during “working hours,” when she’s at home, because the evenings are her free time. (WTH??)

I’m for getting government workers back to work, at LEAST four days a week, and laying off the goof-offs and the screw-ups.

Some of this stuff is just wrong. I'm a hiring manager at a federal agency and it's absolutely false that minorities get hired easier. I've been through roughly 50 hiring panels and not once is there ever any way to hire a minority easier. Never. There are a few types of people who have an easier time making a hiring certificate: veteran's (huge advantage), handicapped, and military spouses now. Other that that, there's no way. I could wake up one morning and decide that I wanted to hire XXX minority and there is no viable way for me to do so.

My agency has a 14% annual "firing rate." A lot of times, to the regular employees, they aren't aware of the personnel actions taking place. Yes, it takes some time to get someone fired because you have to satisfy the Douglas factors. I will tell you that my daughter works for one of the big defense contractors and guess what? Took them almost 2 years to fire someone--a true slacker due to the legalities of it. It's not limited to the government. Most companies that are not mom and pop shops also have to contend with EEO and other laws to ensure there's no discriminatory actions taking place.

As a federal worker with my own anecdotes, we have many private sector employees supporting us and a large portion of them are billet-filling dead weight with a few sharp gems/jewels within the company doing the bulk of the work. But we aren't allowed to point that out and say we don't want them. I've got 3 positoins to fill now and I used to reach out to the contractor workforce but they've gotten so awful and lazy I can't even do that anymore. So goes both ways.

Last edited by ChristineVA; 06-18-2021 at 02:59 PM..

Old 06-18-2021, 02:27 PM

4,856 posts, read 3,286,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
AND Father's day. And FIFTY other Sundays, too! Kinda like damn near everybody working a 40 hour M-F job.

Old 06-18-2021, 02:41 PM

1,711 posts, read 809,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
AND Father's day. And FIFTY other Sundays, too! Kinda like damn near everybody working a 40 hour M-F job.
It was a joke man.

Although I did get a rise out of someone until they realized it was a Sunday.

Old 06-18-2021, 02:42 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
Gotta love those "common bonds" when we buy into racial tribalism.
Commonality is a strong tool that helps break tribal bonds.

The more we share in common, the less important the differences become.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:01 PM

35,710 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:

Too bad I retired - but don’t think I didn’t work on some Holidays, weekends etc. If duty calls. As an ex Fed, a lot of bunk, most interviews are via phone, so forget who can be hired easily- because minority, bunk. What they may tell you is not necessarily how it is in reality.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:01 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Dont get me wrong, I agree with some of this that you are saying. but when folks use insane comparisons like doing coke on a desk, im probably going to call them out.
Well, we are agreement for once. The Coke line was clearly an exaggeration to make a point. But there are awful employee abuses going on in the government for which employees in private would have been fired long ago.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:04 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The 44 days includes vacation time, sick time, and holidays. And it's not that unusual or out of line; read the entire thread.
It IS out of line, read the whole thread. According to the BLS 10 days is the average PTO for private company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies