Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2021, 07:26 AM

10,181 posts, read 11,169,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"full pension after five years.....nice "work"

You need to find better sources

2021 Federal Holidays and How They Are Paid

"PensionAfter serving for five years, a member of Congress is eligible for a pension. Their retirement benefits depend on their plan, age and how long they served in Congress. A member of Congress can collect their full pension at the age of 62 or if they are age 50 with 20 years of service. Though it is a common belief that they can earn their full salary amount in retirement, this is not true. They can earn up to 80% of their final salary, though this high percentage is rare."

How many hours do Members of Congress work in a week? - Quora

https://www.quora.com/How-many-hours...a-week?share=1

It might shock the typical cynical anti-elite American, but according to the Congressional Management Foundation's 2013 "Life in Congress Study," members work about 59 hours per week while in DC and 70 hours per week in their home districts. They only spend about 15% of their waking time on personal and family time."

Would you work 59 to 70 hours a week for NO overtime pay?

Most haven't a CLUE about how congress works or the hours they work, the benifit packages, the time away from families etc
Boo Hoo. I give 2 shyts.

How many People in the Medical Field, work every single Holiday, or Weekends, Miss out events with Family(I have, many times). Cry me a damn river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 07:26 AM

865 posts, read 441,356 times
Quote:
"It’s the fact that someone else is paying for them to work fewer and fewer days."

That is NOT a fact. In FACT it is an outright LIE!
Of course it’s a fact. They don’t pay themselves.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:48 AM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
with the signing of the "Juneteenth" holiday.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand...h=3838ce773477

Must be nice when taxpayers are footing the bill for NINE WEEKS of paid vacation per year!
Jealous much?

Old 06-19-2021, 08:43 AM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
Which is about on par with the private sector.

I agree with others that perhaps removing another holiday (say a religious holiday) in favor of adding this one would have been reasonable.
No it's not. It is WAY over market. Also, the private sector supports itself, not funded by confiscated tax dollars.

Agree with your second statement, but since this is pure pandering, they had to go all out.

Old 06-19-2021, 08:46 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No it's not. It is WAY over market. Also, the private sector supports itself, not funded by confiscated tax dollars.

Agree with your second statement, but since this is pure pandering, they had to go all out.
By that logic, private sector companies should not do business with the government, because they are paid in confiscated tax dollars.

So you think that defense contractors, internet companies, car companies, construction companies, and so forth should all give up their state and federal contracts?

Old 06-19-2021, 08:52 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,478,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
the sole existence of the govt employee is to provide cover for the taxation scheme
Taxation is only a "scheme" to those wanting free stuff.

Old 06-19-2021, 08:53 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Wow, I must have missed something. I worked for the Federal Government and barely got ten or twelve. Not even Father’s Day or Mother’s Day (Sunday’s) qualified. The author is either putting us on criminally out of touch with reality.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:48 AM

25,781 posts, read 12,849,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Feds haven't gotten full pensions since the old CSRS system was phased out in 1984 and the FERS system came in. FERS is a three-part plan consisting of Social Security, a Basic Benefit Plan, and the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP). The Basic Benefit Plan and Social Security require you to pay your OWN share each pay period. The TSP is an account your agency sets up for you and deposits and amount equal to 1% of the base pay for each pay period. Employees can also make contributions and believe me, if you don't, you will be sorely underfunded come retirement time. The TSP account, which is basically your 401K, is the biggest source of a Federal employee's retirement funds. There is no "pension" otherwise - it's the employee's own money with some matching help from the government.
I know 2 recently retired FBI agents, both ~60 yrs old, and they both have pensions that are crazy lucrative. They both made six figures before they had to retire due to age. The FBI doesn't let people over a certain age carry a firearm, and they both had to carry as part of their jobs in a terrorism unit.

That does not jive with what you are saying, but thx for explaining it.

Old 06-19-2021, 10:00 AM

48,538 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I know 2 recently retired FBI agents, both ~60 yrs old, and they both have pensions that are crazy lucrative. They both made six figures before they had to retire due to age. The FBI doesn't let people over a certain age carry a firearm, and they both had to carry as part of their jobs in a terrorism unit.

That does not jive with what you are saying, but thx for explaining it.

My husband has a great state pension for the police department. But every month he put like $1000 into it from his monthly pay.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-19-2021, 10:40 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,304,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
Because they're not comparable. Large organizations operate differently than small organizations. You may want to learn more about small and large organizations. The federal government's PTO offering is on par with other organizations considered large.
I've worked for big companies, smaller companies and government. My wife has been a government employee since the day we graduated college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
He thinks PTO should be exactly the same for a company with 20,000 people and a small company with 20 people. Wtf?!
Quote:
I bet this TimEnchanter guy is self employed
Not even close.In case you missed my earlier statement, my company gives 21 days PTO, but there is no distinction between vacation days, sick days, etc. You get 21 total days. Also get 8 paid holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
DH was not a Federal employee, but worked for county. It was a great job with great pay and benefits, and now he is retired with a nice pension. Yes, he got lots of time off and he earned it, he worked HARD!
LOTS and LOTS of people work hard and do not get defined benefit pensions or lots of time off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Average for people with one year of tenure. And to your point, that also means that some people get 20 days after one year.
Yes, but I am not forced to pay for a company's generosity.

Quote:
That is correct. Although the longest vacation I have ever taken in a stretch is 3 weeks. I use the rest of my time in smaller chunks over the year.
I never was able to take more than 10 days off for the first 25 years of my current job. The last 7 years I've been able to do a couple of 15 days off vacations, but I usually work 2 hours a day half of the days I am "off".

Quote:
I can carry over 12. I earned that leave of course, so why shouldn't I be able to carry it over?
Because the time off is for a given year. Time off is intended to reduce stress and increase productivity. It should be "use or lose it" to accomplish the purpose for which a company gives it.

Quote:
Why limit it to non-military? After all, the military are federal employees as well.
Because the military is unique and rightly so. You get 60 days of leave a year or 120 days for SLA.

Quote:
I remember back in early 2018 when the government shut down and federal employees didn’t get a paycheck for like a month. Some posters on citydata were saying “they signed up for it!”
I remember back when the government "shut down" and hardly anyone noticed a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Why? When I was in the private sector, they provided me with both short term and long term disability insurance. You do not get this as a federal worker.
You don't get it in the private sector. SOME companies may offer it, most do not. It is why people buy disability insurance.

Quote:
"2021 Federal Holidays and How They Are Paid The Federal Government provides employees with 10 paid holidays each year." And WE are called the Un-educated.
The link you posted lists 11 paid holidays each year. Who are the nn-educated again?

[/quote]I'd bet you even have Liberal Arts college degree from some state run public school.[/quote]
Probably given the poor level most state run public schools.

Quote:
"full pension after five years.....nice "work".
You are right, members are merely vested at 5years. It is at 10 years that they get a FULL pension if they are 60 or older. They CAN retire at full pension and benefits at 62 or older if they have 5 years in Congress and 5 years other federal employment, which could be military, Congressional staffer or executive branch work, for example.

That is much more generous than the private sector.

Quote:
Based on today's world in America, maybe we should scrap ALL religious holidays. No Christmas, Thanksgiving Good Friday, etc.
Good Friday isn't a federal holiday. Remind me again who are the un-educated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies