Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2021, 06:48 AM

59,324 posts, read 27,487,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
We all pay for each others' PTO, by the way. But as others have noted upthread, 44 days total of PTO is not unusual nor is it wildly out of line with what other industries offer.

So the only logical reason for objecting to holidays for federal workers is jealousy by those who don't get as many days.

Why stop at PTO? Why not complain about federal workers' lunch hours? Why should we pay them to eat?
"So the only logical reason for objecting to holidays for federal workers is jealousy by those who don't get as many days."

Or couldn't get fed if their life depended on it.

Do you think any of those would would turn down a fed job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It’s not jealousy, although liberals always say that. It’s objecting to a bloated system in which workers are getting ridiculous work schedules when the government is far in debt. If we required that all government workers put in a full schedule, we could cut taxpayer costs tremendously.
"If we required that all government workers put in a full schedule"

Please explain what, in your mind, is a "full schedule".

Old 06-19-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
Probably makes sense to scrap the one religious holiday than President's day. President's day celebrates Washington and Lincoln.

On a side note, I think we should rename MLK day to something more meaningful, like Civil Rights Day to celebrate all that were involved... not just one person.
Based on today's world in America, maybe we should scrap ALL religious holidays.

No Christmas, Thanksgiving Good Friday, etc.

Only hypocrites work those days.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:01 AM

14,242 posts, read 4,619,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Is this still normal??

I can understand differential pay scales for experience, but leave??
1-3 years of service = 13 days of vacation
3-15 = 19.5 days
15+ = 26 days

Old 06-19-2021, 07:03 AM

10,119 posts, read 6,473,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Most are seeking parity with the private sector. Fed pay used to be less than private sector pay, but FEd jobs were much more secure, so that as the tradeoff.

Now, fed jobs are averaging 1.5 times as much value in total comp package, & the job security is stronger than ever.

It has gotten out of whack, and is in pat why we are $28T in debt. Too many gov't workers costing taxpayers too much money, and all of it growing at an unsustainable rate.

If the feds were not printing Monopoly money, it would have all collapsed by now.

The pensions must go because they are totally unsustainable. There must be a significant headcount reduction too. I'd do the headcount reduction slowly through attrition, and end the pensions today for any new hires, and buy out any pensions <10 years vesting. Honor those >10 years vested, or give them an early buy out option.
Feds haven't gotten full pensions since the old CSRS system was phased out in 1984 and the FERS system came in. FERS is a three-part plan consisting of Social Security, a Basic Benefit Plan, and the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP). The Basic Benefit Plan and Social Security require you to pay your OWN share each pay period. The TSP is an account your agency sets up for you and deposits and amount equal to 1% of the base pay for each pay period. Employees can also make contributions and believe me, if you don't, you will be sorely underfunded come retirement time. The TSP account, which is basically your 401K, is the biggest source of a Federal employee's retirement funds. There is no "pension" otherwise - it's the employee's own money with some matching help from the government.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:04 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,492,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I wouldn’t go so far as to say they could do a line of Coke, but it is true that government, while employing some skilled and useful workers, ALSO keeps on the payroll slackers and incompetents who would never survive in private industry.

I live in the DC area. It’s almost a running joke. A neighbor, pre-COVID, told me he hit the jackpot when he got hired (he is a minority, so easier for him to get hired), and laughed when he told me he only goes into the office twice a week. Another guy I know complained that he had to go in ONCE a week, saying that he “had stuff to do around the house.” Still another told me to call her only during “working hours,” when she’s at home, because the evenings are her free time. (WTH??)

I’m for getting government workers back to work, at LEAST four days a week, and laying off the goof-offs and the screw-ups.
There are so may holes in your story I don`t know where to begin. You talk to minorities?

Old 06-19-2021, 07:05 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,317,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
44 days of PTO, not 44 holidays.

Do you ever read your own links?
doubtful. there are plenty of folks on each side that are just here to report their outrage.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:14 AM

45,273 posts, read 26,526,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
you don't think Government employees pay taxes?
They dont. They just take fewer of them in return for a job.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:17 AM

45,273 posts, read 26,526,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
You do realize that our government cannot operate without people, right?
the sole existence of the govt employee is to provide cover for the taxation scheme

Old 06-19-2021, 07:21 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,078,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
the sole existence of the govt employee is to provide cover for the taxation scheme
So you see no value in the military? Customs and border enforcement? Highways? A stable currency?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies