Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2021, 05:27 AM

26,343 posts, read 13,236,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Some people here think federal employees and military should be working like slaves and deserve no sick or vacation time
Most are seeking parity with the private sector. Fed pay used to be less than private sector pay, but FEd jobs were much more secure, so that as the tradeoff.

Now, fed jobs are averaging 1.5 times as much value in total comp package, & the job security is stronger than ever.

It has gotten out of whack, and is in pat why we are $28T in debt. Too many gov't workers costing taxpayers too much money, and all of it growing at an unsustainable rate.

If the feds were not printing Monopoly money, it would have all collapsed by now.

The pensions must go because they are totally unsustainable. There must be a significant headcount reduction too. I'd do the headcount reduction slowly through attrition, and end the pensions today for any new hires, and buy out any pensions <10 years vesting. Honor those >10 years vested, or give them an early buy out option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2021, 05:43 AM

59,582 posts, read 27,706,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
with the signing of the "Juneteenth" holiday.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand...h=3838ce773477

Must be nice when taxpayers are footing the bill for NINE WEEKS of paid vacation per year!
" Federal workers now have 44 (FORTY FOUR) paid holidays per year!"

Really?

"2021 Federal Holidays and How They Are Paid

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/ho...ay-pay-2060447

The Federal Government provides employees with 10 paid holidays each year."

And WE are called the Un-educated.
I'd bet you even have Liberal Arts college degree from some state run public school.

Old 06-19-2021, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
A total of 44 paid days off: 10+13+20+1 = 44 paid days off.

With a five day workweek, that's 8.8 paid weeks off annually. Round that to 9 paid weeks off.
The entire thread is B.S.

Fed employees do NOT get as much vacation when 1st hired as claimed.

The more years you work, the more vacation time you get until you reach the max.

No different then what many big companies do.

My 1st REAL job I got 1 week of vacation.

Over time with more years service, 15, I got 4 weeks.

Thread FAIL, as usual.

Old 06-19-2021, 06:02 AM

9,045 posts, read 3,551,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
My 1st REAL job I got 1 week of vacation.

Over time with more years service, 15, I got 4 weeks.
Is this still normal??

I can understand differential pay scales for experience, but leave??

Old 06-19-2021, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So how much vacation days do you folks get? How many paid holidays? How many sick days?

I'm curious as to how this compares to market standards.

I'm not talking small business owners or sole proprietors...I'm talking the norm in the market.
Don't forget salaries.

It has ALWAYS been noted if you lived in the D.C area working for the fed you get LESS pay but better benefits.

Construction workers are used to going on strike, hence NOT getting paid. Fed workers dd NOT have that to think about.

Private companies can fire you in the blink of an eye. Or go out of business.

You examine the trade offs and decide which way you want to go.

Old 06-19-2021, 06:05 AM

1,745 posts, read 830,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Most are seeking parity with the private sector. Fed pay used to be less than private sector pay, but FEd jobs were much more secure, so that as the tradeoff.

Now, fed jobs are averaging 1.5 times as much value in total comp package, & the job security is stronger than ever.

It has gotten out of whack, and is in pat why we are $28T in debt. Too many gov't workers costing taxpayers too much money, and all of it growing at an unsustainable rate.

If the feds were not printing Monopoly money, it would have all collapsed by now.

The pensions must go because they are totally unsustainable. There must be a significant headcount reduction too. I'd do the headcount reduction slowly through attrition, and end the pensions today for any new hires, and buy out any pensions <10 years vesting. Honor those >10 years vested, or give them an early buy out option.
Lower end jobs are typically hight than public sector, secretaries, clerks. Up to about the GS 9 level. Above that level and with 15 plus years in there is a wide disparity in the other direction but generally by then, it is too late to leave. Go to usajobs and look at the gs13 type of jobs.

Old 06-19-2021, 06:06 AM

1,614 posts, read 891,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So how much vacation days do you folks get? How many paid holidays? How many sick days?

I'm curious as to how this compares to market standards.

I'm not talking small business owners or sole proprietors...I'm talking the norm in the market.

I work for a very large corporation and am on salary, exempt from overtime rules. I maxed out my PTO (which includes all the same buckets listed, holidays if I choose to take them, sick days and just plain vacation days) and I get 36 days a year. It took me 15 years of service to get to this point.

Old 06-19-2021, 06:07 AM

14,267 posts, read 7,019,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Even better, when the federal gov was begging for workers back in the 2000's, no one wanted to leave the lucrative private sector for some mediocre federal work. The military even had to put a stop loss because they had such a hard time recruiting.

If the vacation and holidays are so damn great, how about go get a job with them?

Or is this another case of someone has what I desire, thus I am mad about it and wish they did not have it? If so, instead of tearing them down, how about demand more from your employer?
The people complaining about how many days off a government worker gets would never go work for the Feds. Because then they would be part of the deep state and lazy government workers they like fo complain about.

Old 06-19-2021, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That's a month and a half off......boy our tax dollars at work keeping Americans paid and enjoying those holidays.
With the LACK of reading comprehension of some on here, I'm surprised they got a job at all!

Old 06-19-2021, 06:11 AM

4,994 posts, read 2,004,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" Federal workers now have 44 (FORTY FOUR) paid holidays per year!"

Really?

"2021 Federal Holidays and How They Are Paid

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/ho...ay-pay-2060447

The Federal Government provides employees with 10 paid holidays each year."

And WE are called the Un-educated.
I'd bet you even have Liberal Arts college degree from some state run public school.

Government employees get PTO far beyond the private sector and work less hours. A government worker can do just about anything and not get fired. The government workers I know could never survive in the private sector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies