Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 10:29 AM

1,065 posts, read 477,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Republicans should have never gone for it without striking another federal holiday off. I don't think anyone really needs Presidents Day. It's widely ignored in the private sector, not an actual holiday, and at a time of year where really no-one in particular needs a holiday.
Probably makes sense to scrap the one religious holiday than President's day. President's day celebrates Washington and Lincoln.

On a side note, I think we should rename MLK day to something more meaningful, like Civil Rights Day to celebrate all that were involved... not just one person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 10:29 AM

19,384 posts, read 6,551,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Gosh, I must have worked for the wrong agency. I remember working during a Labor Day weekend out in the Aleutians, hanging head-down in a stream while taking water samples from an abandoned waste site. My boss didn't even give me compensatory time for the long weekend and I certainly didn't get overtime. You see, for every anecdotal example of "someone" who supposedly has abused the Federal leave system, there is always another anecdotal incident that can match it and cancel it out.
Yes, you did work in the wrong agency. I never said everyone abuses the system.

What you’re missing is that in the private world, the people who goof off or abuse the system would be fired. The government is cradle to grave job security, and we need to crack down and terminate the incompetent or goof-offs.

Of course, the government does take action when the abuse is unbelievably extreme. Some years ago, when it was discovered that loads of employees were logging on to their computers first thing in the morning and then heading off for 18 rounds of golf, they put a stop to it. But they allow an amazing amount of time theft before they take action.

We’re not exactly rolling in money here. Every government worker should be required to work at least 80% of their workweek. I actually have workers tell me they work 3 days a week, because they know the two work from home days are full of errands and social activities.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:32 AM

4,924 posts, read 4,267,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Your pay comes from tax dollars, the amount of your pay that then goes to federal and state taxes therefore came from tax dollars. True, you are contributing back to the pool, but the vast majority of your paycheck is funded by the private sector and therefore the bulk of your tax payments was originally funded by the private sector.
As was yours - who do you think pays your employer for their services?

Old 06-18-2021, 10:34 AM

17,499 posts, read 12,451,352 times
That's pretty much what I get now in the private world including the new Juneteenth holiday...for a senior role with 20 years experience certainly not the average.

But prior jobs I've had "unlimited" pto which is more the industry(software development) norm. Which in reality led to far less vacation actually taken and no balance payout when you leave.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post

What you’re missing is that in the private world, the people who goof off or abuse the system would be fired. The government is cradle to grave job security...

We’re not exactly rolling in money here. Every government worker should be required to work at least 80% of their workweek. I actually have workers tell me they work 3 days a week, because they know the two work from home days are full of errands and social activities.
You get the job security combined with extremely low pay and decent benefits. The alternate option is to pay government employees a decent wage and remove the semi-guaranteed job security.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:39 AM

4,924 posts, read 4,267,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgorilla View Post
You get the job security combined with extremely low pay and decent benefits. The alternate option is to pay government employees a decent wage and remove the semi-guaranteed job security.
Unfortunately, that is easier said than done. What I've seen in my 15 years of government employ (not federal) is that government agencies are more susceptible to being sued and scrutinized for labor issues. There is much fear out there about terminating people even when the evidence of abuse is there.

I can tell you that from what I've seen - we don't like the abuse either. Many of us work for the government because we like having what we believe is a positive impact on our communities. And it frustrates us to no end that there are people who see it as a cushy thing. But I am certain there are many who do the same in the private sector as well. All we need for "proof" is to peruse the Work and Employment board! LOL

While many are quick to criticize abuse in government jobs, does anyone realize that abuse by workers at ANY job makes the cost of things go up?

Old 06-18-2021, 10:43 AM

8,941 posts, read 2,991,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
My god people are petty.

It's not that other people get too many days off. It's that you don't get enough. Do something for yourself rather than trying to tear down other people.
They work for US!

Government work isn't about the benefits.

It's to serve US.

Don't you get it?

Old 06-18-2021, 10:43 AM

45,365 posts, read 26,640,658 times
Fun fact: no society needs a govt worker, its a myth taught to you in its schools.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:52 AM

10,146 posts, read 6,537,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post

What you’re missing is that in the private world, the people who goof off or abuse the system would be fired. The government is cradle to grave job security, and we need to crack down and terminate the incompetent or goof-offs.

Of course, the government does take action when the abuse is unbelievably extreme. Some years ago, when it was discovered that loads of employees were logging on to their computers first thing in the morning and then heading off for 18 rounds of golf, they put a stop to it. But they allow an amazing amount of time theft before they take action.

The Federal government is no longer cradle to grave job security. I've been through too many RIFs and BRAC situations in more than two decades to believe that. We always had program and budget deadlines that had to be met and constraints within which we had to work. Although Defense money is usually good, it's not infinite and every program has to be justified in order to be funded. I've been in budget, program, and management series that cover the processes from beginning to end, plus oversight after that. Slacking was never tolerated where I was employed, because the programs had to be accomplished, many of which were real-time critical. And yes, people were fired who failed to meet their work requirements, so don't hand me that bull. I dealt with complaints from people who were disciplined or fired in one of my job responsibilities; however, the command always prevailed in its decision without repercussions.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
They work for US!

Government work isn't about the benefits.

It's to serve US.

Don't you get it?
You do realize that our government cannot operate without people, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies