Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 09:51 AM

41,991 posts, read 75,262,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joylush View Post
It’s the fact that someone else is paying for them to work fewer and fewer days.
We all pay for each others' PTO, by the way. But as others have noted upthread, 44 days total of PTO is not unusual nor is it wildly out of line with what other industries offer.

So the only logical reason for objecting to holidays for federal workers is jealousy by those who don't get as many days.

Why stop at PTO? Why not complain about federal workers' lunch hours? Why should we pay them to eat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 09:53 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,515,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
A total of 44 paid days off: 10+13+20+1 = 44 paid days off.

With a five day workweek, that's 8.8 paid weeks off annually. Round that to 9 paid weeks off.
And don’t forget that many work from home, and run errands and such during workdays. In the summer, so many work from home that they hog the good chairs by the shade all afternoon as they lounge by the pool.

In fact, I know someone who took a vacation to California for two weeks, and didn’t take a single day of annual leave. When I asked her how that was possible, she said she just logged in from her hotel room every day. She told me she wants to save all her leave because she will get paid a lot of money when she retires in a year or so. Considering she earns around $150,000 a year, that will be a fortune!

If regular Americans knew how the system is being abused, they’d be furious.

Old 06-18-2021, 09:53 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,736,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Depending on how one looks at it, the private sector is paying the govt employees taxes.
I just checked todays paystub...They took State and Federal taxes out..............

Old 06-18-2021, 09:58 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,515,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
We all pay for each others' PTO, by the way. But as others have noted upthread, 44 days total of PTO is not unusual nor is it wildly out of line with what other industries offer.

So the only logical reason for objecting to holidays for federal workers is jealousy by those who don't get as many days.

Why stop at PTO? Why not complain about federal workers' lunch hours? Why should we pay them to eat?
It’s not jealousy, although liberals always say that. It’s objecting to a bloated system in which workers are getting ridiculous work schedules when the government is far in debt. If we required that all government workers put in a full schedule, we could cut taxpayer costs tremendously.

Old 06-18-2021, 09:59 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,060,747 times
As a state worker, I receive 48 days off (combination of holidays, vacation, sick leave). Of course, I could make more money doing the equivalent job in the private sector, so I made the choice of receiving a lower salary for better work/life balance.

My last public sector job I received 34 or 36 days in total, I cannot remember
Ed exactly how many holidays were observed.

In reality, I do not take a full 48 days annually. I typically take about:

4 sick days (I get 12)
3 personal days (I get 3)
15-18 vacation days (I get 23)
All 10 observed holidays.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:08 AM

5,989 posts, read 2,243,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
"Before Thursday, federal employees received pay for 10 federal holidays, 13 sick days and 20 vacation days per year on average. Our auditors at OpenTheBooks.com estimate these benefits cost taxpayers $22.6 billion annually."

This is #11.

Not sure where you get the idea of 9 weeks off.
Perhaps having a career in Healthcare has spoiled me but this is normal in my profession. We might not use them but 4-6 weeks of leave plus sick time and holidays (holidays vary the most) is quite normal if you work outside a hospital. Even in a hospital you're paid 2-2.5X normal rate for holidays so you are compensated for working those days if you have too.

I think most people's jobs just suck or the pay is good but get robbed on the back end (Sick time, Paid days off, Benefits). Much of this sounds like jealously honestly.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:09 AM

3,074 posts, read 1,305,112 times
It’s going to end up being 12 soon because I’m sure they’ll make Election Day a holiday. Honestly it should only be a holiday on presidential years though. It’s pretty stupid for example to have 2019 or 2023 election days be federal holidays when many states don’t even have any notable elections

Old 06-18-2021, 10:11 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,340,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
with the signing of the "Juneteenth" holiday.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamand...h=3838ce773477

Must be nice when taxpayers are footing the bill for NINE WEEKS of paid vacation per year!
LOL...sour grapes?

BTW, I get 50, because at 15 years I get 26 days versus 20 days of annual leave.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:14 AM

3,083 posts, read 3,268,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I just checked todays paystub...They took State and Federal taxes out..............
Your pay comes from tax dollars, the amount of your pay that then goes to federal and state taxes therefore came from tax dollars. True, you are contributing back to the pool, but the vast majority of your paycheck is funded by the private sector and therefore the bulk of your tax payments was originally funded by the private sector.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:15 AM

10,103 posts, read 6,450,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
My god people are petty.

It's not that other people get too many days off. It's that you don't get enough. Do something for yourself rather than trying to tear down other people.
But that's hard work and not as enjoyable as whining about what someone else gets that you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies