Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 06:44 PM

62,996 posts, read 29,178,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Trump said Mexico would pay for it...but he took funding from our own military to do it.
They are helping to pay for it through tariffs just for starters. If our defense fund isn't for defending our own borders to then what are they for?

Did you whine and cry back in 2006 when 700 miles of fencing were built compliments of the taxpayer? No, of course you didn't! Now they have to be replaced because they have been breached. Talk about a waste of tax dollars! The good walls built under Trump have been 90% effective in deterring illegal entry in those areas they are also cost effective when you consider the over $100 billion a year that illegal immigration costs us and the threat of bad dudes getting into our country. Too bad Biden put a stop to building them and that's why we have this mess on our border now.

Presidents and politicians often set goals that they can't keep but at least try but that doesn't make them liars. Obama and now Biden is promising amnesty for millions of illegal aliens but Obama didn't get that done and I doubt that Biden will either (thank God!) But I guess only Trump is guilty if his goals aren't completely achieved while the other two get a pass?

Last edited by Oldglory; 06-21-2021 at 06:52 PM..

Old 06-21-2021, 06:46 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Last film i saw was people going over, under and through the "wall".

The whole thing was a scam right from the very beginning. Donald and his cronies pocketed more money than ever went into actual (substandard) materials and labor.

I know, hard to believe, eh?
That's a laundry list of assertions. Got anything interesting to support them?

I've already posted about government corruption in construction projects in this thread, so you know my interest is genuine.

Whatcha got?

Old 06-21-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
The people posting here who are against it are just tribalists. They don't know why they say what they say. The tribe leaders say to be against it, give them their talking point reasons and off they go to the internet to all declare how intelligent they are as they scream the exact same things to everyone who challenges them.

Those people are simply tools. Pawns. They're mindless robots carrying out their programmed instructions. A bot army like none before it, and they dutifully do as they're told.
They are also bleeding heart liberals without a brain in their heads who only deal in emotion, hire illegals for profit, wanting to increase the Democrat voter base or have ethnic ties to illegal aliens. None of which is in the best interests of our country. Their arguments against the good walls and anything else that will deter illegal entry are self-serving and anti-American.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:50 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
Question for all the people who are saying that our border barrier is ineffective.

Have any of you ever attempted to bypass it in any of the ways you say are so easy?

Rhetorical question. We all already know the answer.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:53 PM

5,986 posts, read 2,241,315 times
Yes. 2017 Republican controlled congress did not pass spending on the border wall. I am still confused on why Republican congress members got a pass on border funding. Some of these Senators hollering about border walls should have hollered at McConnell the same way. You would have your wall if that would have happened.

Trump Presidency was a weird one where all the levers of government belonged to one party, and still could not pass anything due to bickering amongst themselves. All while publicly pretending to be on the same page.

At this point I am convinced Republicans want border issues to holler about it but have no intention of fixing it or immigration. But they will fundraise and run on it.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:53 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,373,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The hilarity of the wall is that people just find other ways around, such as bussing people in. This has created a special market for that. In the end the wall is just another example of government waste, like toilet seats that cost 2 billion. But some have egos that need to be fed and monumentalized. And that's the legacy here. At the end of the day it amounts to zero sense and zero logic.
That's why that woman died and those others dropped their kids over the wall.

Because it's easy to hop on a bus instead.

You know the wall system works. That's why you hate it. You didn't hate Obama's fence because it didn't work.

Old 06-21-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The hilarity of the wall is that people just find other ways around, such as bussing people in. This has created a special market for that. In the end the wall is just another example of government waste, like toilet seats that cost 2 billion. But some have egos that need to be fed and monumentalized. And that's the legacy here. At the end of the day it amounts to zero sense and zero logic.
You have no idea what you are talking about! Read the numerous posts in here that the good walls are 90% effective in deterring illegal entry. If it's not 100% then it's useless? People can't be bussed in undetected so WTH are you talking about? It's you and yours that have zero sense and logic when the facts are presented to you.

Old 06-21-2021, 07:02 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Trump said Mexico would pay for it...but he took funding from our own military to do it.
Obviously Trump was forced to take drastic measures to fund the wall, using military funding was not how he wanted to fund the wall.

Regardless, Trump renegotiated NAFTA and got Mexico to sign the USMCA. Even Biden admitted it was a much better trade deal for the US. That will improve the US economy, and end up adding to the coffers of the US Treasury. Tariffs, and tax revenue money is fungible, and ends up paying for federal projects, like the wall. It's not rocket science.

Old 06-21-2021, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Wait someone posted that 450 miles of FENCE was put up and 70 something miles of Wall was completed. A Fence is not a Wall and a Wall is not a fence from my basic understanding of Construction.

The fence if effective is good but slipping one term for another is silly. To be fair, exact language was never the Trump administration's specialty.

But seriously, a wall and a fence are two different things with different strengths, weaknesses, and cost.
I don't recall Trump calling his walls "fences" and yes most people do know the difference. It was 450 miles of replacement and new walls that were built. Happy now?

Old 06-21-2021, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Yes. 2017 Republican controlled congress did not pass spending on the border wall. I am still confused on why Republican congress members got a pass on border funding. Some of these Senators hollering about border walls should have hollered at McConnell the same way. You would have your wall if that would have happened.

Trump Presidency was a weird one where all the levers of government belonged to one party, and still could not pass anything due to bickering amongst themselves. All while publicly pretending to be on the same page.

At this point I am convinced Republicans want border issues to holler about it but have no intention of fixing it or immigration. But they will fundraise and run on it.
There were Republicans in congress that didn't support Trump on anything and there was never a filibuster proof majority. Get your facts straight! It was mostly the Democrats that opposed the wall though and would not pass funding for it. I couldn't care less about the sell out Republicans in congress but the fact remains that Trump did manage to get 450 miles of replacement and new walls built so just WTH is your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies