Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 03:26 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times

Advertisements

Here's a thread where we can relax a little and talk to our fellow humans, instead of bickering with our political rivals.

Quite a lot of us have been here for some time. But what do we really know about each other? Sure, we have our opinions and perceptions of individuals on here, but every one of them is wrong. This is an opportunity to correct the record of your C-D persona a little bit, if you'd like.

The idea is to tell everyone something about yourself that they wouldn't have guessed, based on the discussions you enter and positions you take in them. I think that most of us stick to discussing certain topics, and leave others alone, for lots of valid reasons, but it does leave a hole in other peoples' perceptions of the people we are.

I figure that most people here have me pegged as hard right, or maybe center-right, if they're conservative or more moderate themselves, because of the topics I'll discuss and the hardness of my stance in them.

But I don't think that anyone here knows that I'm kind of a bird guy. Owned parrot(s) my entire life and have always been amazed with the grace and intelligence of almost all birds. I volunteered for a while with an organization which electronically tracked the handful of California Condors remaining in the wild at the time. I pleaded with hunters in California - and took a lot of heat for it - to use lead free ammunition when hunting.

Most people aren't who they portray themselves as (or are perceived to be) online. Throw us a bone. Who are you, really?

ETA - Oh, I couldn't leave this out, once I remembered it just now. My first voter registration was with the Green party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2021, 04:27 PM

552 posts, read 223,385 times
When I go out to eat at restaurants, I always end up getting hugs from the waitstaff.

One waitress actually took the time to write me a beautiful thank you note. She said I was the nicest person
she had ever waited on.

I have had waiters and waitresses cry on my shoulder after speaking to me about their lives and private
matters.

If I go to a party or family dinner at someone's home that I do not know, any baby or child or pet will end
up at my feet, insisting on my attention. The adults all clear out, but any child or animal will stick by me
like a magnet.

Politics never mattered to me until after I left the Navy, and Bush sr. started sending troops to Iraq. I
watched that announcement with dread in my soul. It was so ominous. I was never as active as a voter
as I am now until I moved to Texas and a very strange woman ran for the local education admin. slot
which was unpaid. She was so disturbing a candidate that I voted in my first small district local election
just to vote for her rival. After that, I started paying more attention to all elections and tried to vote for
the person and not the party.

I used to have great respect for Lindsay Graham, I considered him a hero before he worked for Trump.
He still has my admiration, despite some personal questions about his motives. I find him to be an
outstanding former military officer, and I thank him for his service.

Last edited by Tylerrose; 06-27-2021 at 04:36 PM..

Old 06-27-2021, 04:32 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
I ride a big green motorcycle.

Old 06-27-2021, 04:41 PM

19,037 posts, read 27,614,590 times
I lived for 38 years in the USSR and for 28 in the US. Gives me very interesting perspective on events, as I always do AUDITE ET ALTER PARS on any of them. Amount of open info I have from THERE, that will never be disclosed HERE is stunning.

Old 06-27-2021, 04:45 PM

11,270 posts, read 11,032,046 times
My wife died last year from kidney failure. I'm finding that the dating scene is a whole lot different than it was 18-20 years ago!

Old 06-27-2021, 04:52 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,547,998 times
When I was tested for intelligence and aptitude for vocational rehabilitation after an injury, one of the testers said I was the smartest person they had ever tested in their 10 year career.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:05 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,075,105 times
I’m really good at scrabble and gin rummy; I always lose at Monopoly.

I’ve been to all 50 states and 15 countries.

I like cats.

I love all kinds of music, from classical to pop to country to jazz...everything except rap.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:06 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
I've snow skied somewhere between 3500-4000 days - not as many as some folks, but more than most.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:08 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Voted Democrat all my life until this past election. I can’t believe the direction of Democrats. Wow. Men are in young girl’s bathrooms now. Damn.

Old 06-27-2021, 05:10 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,075,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
My wife died last year from kidney failure. I'm finding that the dating scene is a whole lot different than it was 18-20 years ago!
I’m sorry for your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies