Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 05:33 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Could you be any more racist and paint with a wider brush in that commentary?
Whatever, dude. I've heard plenty of white people say stuff like...
"Why can't we have the United Caucasian College Fund?" "The blacks have their own, what is racist about us having ours?"....
While he could have clarified his thread better, I don't think he was doing what you are saying.
Try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 05:56 PM

45 posts, read 79,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
The United Negro College Fund happens to be pro-black; it is not anti-anyone, which is quite another thing. Thirty years ago I had to explain to a priest that 'black is beautiful' does not mean white is ugly. Similarly, HBCU's are not anti-anyone; they happen to be pro-black. No, this is not just sophistry, either.

Most white pride groups (and their inaccurate emails) are more anti-minority than pro-white. The St. Patrick's Day parade is pro-white; the skin head marches are not.
So then any white or any other race can join the Miss Black USA?

Old 01-25-2009, 07:23 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
You know, I have never really given much thought to the subject of the United Negro College Fund. I always figured there must be some system of checks and balances to prevent the possible racism the name could entail.
I mean, the name of the organization is the United Negro College Fund. This would lead many to believe that the only people who can get money from this fund are black.

If you don't see what I mean or where my reasoning comes from, think about this. What if I start an organization tomorrow called the United Aryan College Fund or the United Caucasian College Fund. Would that be kosher. Should I not expect a major backlash from the black and possibly Jewish community. See, it's all about perception and frankly, most Americans only see what is right in front of their faces. So the name of an organization can very well undo them here in the US.

Side note: If any of these organizations actually exist, please forgive me for putting them in the context of possibilties instead of realities. I do not know if there actually is a United White People College Fund or somethng like it.
I'm sure that you know the name was created when there was a need for a college fund for Negros because they weren't getting the money from anywhere else. The name hasn't been changed for historical reasons - same as the NAACP - you don't think we haven't noticed that the C stands for colored . The organizations were created for a purpose and there was a need for them when they were created - as times have changed and more opportunities have become available they have also changed in the way they operate but have maintained the original name. Nothing wrong with that.

Now if someone were to create an organization today with the words Negro or Colored I'd look at them sideways

Old 04-16-2009, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,734 times
I'm a "white guy", and I can't wait for the day when we are all just people, not a color. I can't wait for the day when we don't have a NAACP, a UNCF, etc. I think that people should be interested and proud of their heritage, but when it comes down to it, I'm not German and Cherokee, I'm an American. Most Black people in the USA have never been to Africa, so, you may be African by race, as I am German, But you are an American and that is a great thing to be. So until there is actual equality in America, and I think we are close in most parts of the country, let's work together as Americans to not only "get along" but to embrace people of all nations here as brothers ans sisters. My great Grandparents walked the trail of tears, some of my Cherokee ancestors were slave right along side of Blacks in the Carolina's. My Grandfather and my Father fought in two wars to keep us free. Let's not spoil that freedom by holding grudges from the past. Look for solutions for your personal life today. Be a person who is proud to be judged by the content of your character.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:37 AM

1,843 posts, read 2,371,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
One of the biggest LIES that the white people believe is that the United Negro College Fund is somehow "racist" against white people. Of course you try to tell them the FACTS- the UNCF gives money to COLLEGES and not to students often falls on deaf ears. After all most whites do not want to hear FACTS but they would rather believe LIES (which is why we get "leaders" like The Idiot W). Yes the UNCF gives money to colleges that are HISTORICALLY black but they are not 100% black these days. Such a thing would be highly illegal.
So I thought the front page story on the Atlanta Journal today was nice. It shows the WHITE valedictorian or Morehouse College. BTW he was also elected Student President- so much for "blacks won't vote for a white" myth! So for the four years this WHITE guy spent at Morehouse, the United Negro College Fund assisted him!

Morehouse valedictorian stands out -- he's white | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/services/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/05/11/morehouseman_0512.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=13 - broken link)

Here is a list of the COLLEGES that the United Negro College Fund Helps:

UNCF

So remember that the mind of a white student is a terrible thing to waste! Support the UNCF!

Oh c'mon, give us credit! Many of us believe much bigger lies than this one.

Last edited by fatchance2005; 04-16-2009 at 12:37 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 11:50 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
I don't know the stats but I wish more whites, hispanics and asians would attend historically black colleges.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:57 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I don't know the stats but I wish more whites, hispanics and asians would attend historically black colleges.
I'm curious as to why.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:59 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Where are the "historically white colleges"?

Old 04-16-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
I'm curious as to why.
There's nothing wrong with it. It's just that some people seem to think they can't enroll because they are not black and that is not the case.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Where are the "historically white colleges"?
I'll have to look them up. Way back in the day, they had to create these historically white colleges because the other colleges wouldn't accept whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies