Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 02:39 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Right you are.....
These colleges USED to be mostly white. So lets call them that. Lets call them "historically white". We call other colleges "historically black". Lets call each what they really were in the past OR lets try living in the present and refer to neither type of college by race / color. Get it?????
Actually those colleges used to be all white. Now they are mostly white. Historically black colleges came about because black students could not attend all-white schools. Now they can. Great. Whites can attend historically black schools as well.

So what am I supposed to get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 02:44 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Actually those colleges used to be all white. Now they are mostly white. Historically black colleges came about because black students could not attend all-white schools. Now they can. Great. Whites can attend historically black schools as well.

So what am I supposed to get?
I understand all that. Exactly you are right.

Why call some colleges today "historically black" but not call others "historically white"?

Either all colleges should be referenced by their historical nature, or we should live in the present and not refer to either type by race / color. Surely you understand?

Old 04-16-2009, 02:49 PM

863 posts, read 2,785,460 times
Quote:
I understand all that. Exactly you are right.

Why call some colleges today "historically black" but not call others "historically white"?

Either all colleges should be referenced by their historical nature, or we should live in the present and not refer to either type by race / color. Surely you understand?
Come on, surely there are bigger racial issues you can argue. This is really just nitpicky and infantile.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:28 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,013 times
Quote:
Well if some places want to be called "historically black" why can't a place be called "historically white"????? Equality.

I don't believe no one stated that they couldn't not. More power to them.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:32 PM

541 posts, read 985,134 times
you know if there were more equal opportunity,say,telling everybody to go F@#K themselves equally,the world may be a better place..I use it and every day is great from beginning to end...food for thought

Old 04-17-2009, 06:26 AM

366 posts, read 1,186,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeINIL View Post
Come on, surely there are bigger racial issues you can argue. This is really just nitpicky and infantile.
Thank you.
People totally ignore history and the context, and then whine about the most petty details that have little to no effect on their lives.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:24 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Right you are.....
These colleges USED to be mostly white. So lets call them that. Lets call them "historically white". We call other colleges "historically black". Lets call each what they really were in the past OR lets try living in the present and refer to neither type of college by race / color. Get it?????
I think those colleges probably don't want to call themselves "historically white" because they don't like to really highlight the fact that when they originated black people weren't allowed on their campuses. I've seen some schools acknowledge their first black or female students though.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:11 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,628,778 times
A Saudi placed an application to the UNCF. Heard that a mine was a "terrible thing to waste".

Old 04-17-2009, 07:26 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,888 times
Historically White = racism

NAACP good cause

NAAWP racist cause.

You see the difference?

Look at public schools today I defy you to find one with more than 90% White students. There are no White colleges, Black colleges (if you look) are generally about 99% black.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:43 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Historically White = racism

NAACP good cause

NAAWP racist cause.

You see the difference?

Look at public schools today I defy you to find one with more than 90% White students. There are no White colleges, Black colleges (if you look) are generally about 99% black.

So what was it called when black students weren't allowed in white schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies