Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2021, 12:39 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
So there are statues of GW all over the world.
And they must all come down because George Washington is a world famous traitor to Britain.

Why do Democrats think treason is only limited to their southern confederate history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2021, 12:42 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
And they must all come down because George Washington is a world famous traitor to Britain.

Why do Democrats think treason is only limited to their southern confederate history?
One man's treason is another man's freedom from tyranny --- why do people not get that from own their history?

Old 07-11-2021, 12:48 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Folks, this is not about slaves.

This is about removing statues honoring traitors who attacked our nation.

Old 07-11-2021, 01:11 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No one can refute what the Confederate cause was about. No one can give a cogent reason why Confederate statues should remain up. A whataboutism is a sign of that. I'd have more respect for said persons if they just said they were pro-Confederate and not give any excuses for it, rather than bring up whataboutisms.
I know I've asked this before, & you've replied to clarify, but I feel I have to ask again. Are you sure you're not a NYer?

It's the part about expecting folks to 'man up' about who they are, & having the courage of one's convictions. Some see NYers as rude for that expectation.

As for the other part about refuting what the Confederate cause was about, some folks seem to have sortof mental block about it. It's as if they can say that there was 1, or 10, or 3,000 black people who fought for the Confederacy, then the Confederate cause could not be about race-based enslavement.

Or, because slaves built the pyramids, then the Confederate cause could not be about race-based enslavement.

Or, because race-based enslavement benefited the wealthiest individuals, then the Confederate cause could not be about race-based enslavement.

It boggles the mind in its illogic & ridiculousness.

Information from the 1850 & 1860s census suggest that somewhere between 75% & 90% of adult white Americans were literate.

Granted, literacy rates were higher in the Free States but the majority of white Americans at the beginning of the Civil War could read & write. Newspapers alone reached millions, & so did books.

To perpetuate the belief that no one really knew what was at stake is just more Lost Cause ridiculousness.

Old 07-11-2021, 01:29 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I know I've asked this before, & you've replied to clarify, but I feel I have to ask again. Are you sure you're not a NYer?

It's the part about expecting folks to 'man up' about who they are, & having the courage of one's convictions. Some see NYers as rude for that expectation.

As for the other part about refuting what the Confederate cause was about, some folks seem to have sortof mental block about it. It's as if they can say that there was 1, or 10, or 3,000 black people who fought for the Confederacy, then the Confederate cause could not be about race-based enslavement.

Or, because slaves built the pyramids, then the Confederate cause could not be about race-based enslavement.

Or, because race-based enslavement benefited the wealthiest individuals, then the Confederate cause could not be about race-based enslavement.

Information from the 1850 & 1860s census suggest that somewhere between 75% & 90% of adult white Americans were literate.

Granted, literacy rates were higher in the Free States but the majority of white Americans at the beginning of the Civil War could read & write. Newspapers alone reached millions, & so did books.

To perpetuate the belief that no one really knew what was at stake is just more Lost Cause ridiculousness.
Quote:
Or, because race-based enslavement benefited the wealthiest individuals
Omit for convenience sake the wealth and property holding of the African --- omit for convenience sake the States that voted to grant them citizenship with the protections that come with. Omit for convenience sake the States, that made the importation of any individual brought from abroad as a slave, illegal. (Omit for convenience sake, the achievements of the African race)

That that gets omitted is the 1 to 10 to 3000 holes that get drilled into that official narrative, passed down throughout history at it gets taught in the government school system.

Old 07-11-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Omit for convenience sake the wealth and property holding of the African --- omit for convenience sake the States that voted to grant them citizenship with the protections that come with. Omit for convenience sake the States, that made the importation of any individual brought from abroad as a slave, illegal. (Omit for convenience sake, the achievements of the African race)

That that gets omitted is the 1 to 10 to 3000 holes that get drilled into that official narrative, passed down throughout history at it gets taught in the government school system.
What the heck is your point? Other than the Confederate cause could not be about race-based enslavement?

Old 07-11-2021, 01:51 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Default Social Justice Whites

"Social Justice Whites have a problem. Their world-view depends on blaming the problems of black people (and other minorities) on white racism. However, there is very convincing evidence that in reality, racism is a small problem at this point in time. For this reason, it is very common for SJWs to cite historical racism, and through magical thinking, use this as proof that people are motivated by racism today."

https://www.socialjusticesurvivalgui...cit-bias-hoax/

Old 07-11-2021, 01:54 PM

Lost Cause, The

Quote:
The Lost Cause is an interpretation of the American Civil War (1861–1865) that seeks to present the war, from the perspective of Confederates, in the best possible terms. Developed by white Southerners, many of them former Confederate generals, in a postwar climate of economic, racial, and social uncertainty, the Lost Cause created and romanticized the “Old South” and the Confederate war effort, often distorting history in the process.

For this reason, many historians have labeled the Lost Cause a myth or a legend.

... The Lost Cause has lost much of its academic support but continues to be an important part of how the Civil War is commemorated in the South and remembered in American popular culture.

Six Tenets

The Lost Cause interpretation of the Civil War typically includes the following six assertions:

1. Secession, not slavery, caused the Civil War.
2. African Americans were “faithful slaves,” loyal to their masters and the Confederate cause and unprepared for the responsibilities of freedom.
3. The Confederacy was defeated militarily only because of the Union’s overwhelming advantages in men and resources.
4. Confederate soldiers were heroic and saintly.
5. The most heroic and saintly of all Confederates, perhaps of all Americans, was Robert E. Lee.
6. Southern women were loyal to the Confederate cause and sanctified by the sacrifice of their loved ones.
https://encyclopediavirginia.org/ent...ost-cause-the/

Begone With the Wind.

Old 07-11-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
"Social Justice Whites have a problem. Their world-view depends on blaming the problems of black people (and other minorities) on white racism. However, there is very convincing evidence that in reality, racism is a small problem at this point in time. For this reason, it is very common for SJWs to cite historical racism, and through magical thinking, use this as proof that people are motivated by racism today."

https://www.socialjusticesurvivalgui...cit-bias-hoax/
The Lost Cause mythologies & propaganda are great examples of magical thinking.

Old 07-11-2021, 02:02 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:

I'm not a New Yorker. I've never been to New York. I've grown up in the South (suburbs of the Atlanta area). I've lived in the western USA though.

I would figure some of these pro-Confederates would have more conviction about who they are as well.

Some people are hoping that whataboutisms and any other information will negate what the Confederate cause is about. It hasn't. Said persons are looking for every way to claim "the Confederates weren't so bad".

If the newspapers and media were mentioning how important slavery was to the South, I think about something else. How could the UDC spread the Lost Cause lies throughout the South? Well, I have my theories about that. However, I think about how easily the Lost Cause mythology could have been debunked back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies