Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 04:48 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,524,650 times

Advertisements

LOS ANGELES, July 8 (Reuters) - Pet adoptions surged during the coronavirus pandemic as people in lockdown sought companionship. But as the world has opened up again, the future looks less rosy for a growing number of animals sent to shelters or adoption centers by owners without the time or money to care for them.

"In the rescue world, we kind of saw it coming," said Chloe Esperiquette, development coordinator at Wags and Walks adoption center in Los Angeles.

"We received prior to the pandemic five to 10 inquiries per month for people who couldn't care for their dogs anymore. ... That's like doubled since in recent months."

If they saw it coming then why did they agree to the adoptions? The shelters have to shoulder some of the blame here too. Anyone who has attempted to adopt a pet in the last 5 years is aware of the hoops they make you jump through. They could have easily screened the adopters who were only temporarily at home.

I saw it coming too. The result was talked about on the dog boards. People in a responsible position to adopt found the shelters wiped out. This forced many to buy instead of adopt. Many of those people were victims of price gouging. Even mixed breed doodle type puppies were going for $5K. Many threads about this over the last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2021, 04:50 PM

13,733 posts, read 9,073,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
infuriating.
people with no business owning a dog flocked to get one during Wuflu lockdowns, and now are kicking them to the curb.
highly doubtful that this is confined to CA.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/cal...se-2021-07-08/
We have the same problem in Texas. I was delighted when the shelters literally ran out of dogs last year, but now many are being dropped off again.

Old 07-10-2021, 05:07 PM

35,476 posts, read 17,391,002 times
Quote:
infuriating.
people with no business owning a dog flocked to get one during Wuflu lockdowns, and now are kicking them to the curb.

Just horrible. My sister-in-law in California just adopted two dogs. She, her husband and two college-age children are "dog people." They'd be horrified to hear this.

Old 07-10-2021, 05:20 PM

327 posts, read 213,260 times
Just proves that people today are very sensitive snowflakes and get bored easily while living in their wasteland states.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:53 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,457,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
LOS ANGELES, July 8 (Reuters) - Pet adoptions surged during the coronavirus pandemic as people in lockdown sought companionship. But as the world has opened up again, the future looks less rosy for a growing number of animals sent to shelters or adoption centers by owners without the time or money to care for them.

"In the rescue world, we kind of saw it coming," said Chloe Esperiquette, development coordinator at Wags and Walks adoption center in Los Angeles.

"We received prior to the pandemic five to 10 inquiries per month for people who couldn't care for their dogs anymore. ... That's like doubled since in recent months."

If they saw it coming then why did they agree to the adoptions? The shelters have to shoulder some of the blame here too. Anyone who has attempted to adopt a pet in the last 5 years is aware of the hoops they make you jump through. They could have easily screened the adopters who were only temporarily at home.

I saw it coming too. The result was talked about on the dog boards. People in a responsible position to adopt found the shelters wiped out. This forced many to buy instead of adopt. Many of those people were victims of price gouging. Even mixed breed doodle type puppies were going for $5K. Many threads about this over the last year.
We did see it coming, we did screen the best we could, to sort out those who were covid idiots all of a sudden looking for a pet. But it is hard, some were obvious, others were not, we are not mind readers.

We cannot just stop adoptions all together, nor can we just go with gut feelings or some sort of wayward standards, because it may cause PR issues, thus impacting our funding.

Old 07-14-2021, 06:22 AM

5,301 posts, read 5,283,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Here in the Seattle area it's a bit different . . . people are quitting their jobs rather than give up their "Covid-Dogs." Some large employers are fighting back by allowing them to bring their dogs to work.
If I could bring my dog to the office I would do so every day.

Old 07-14-2021, 06:35 AM

6,625 posts, read 5,042,286 times
Quote:
infuriating.

Slightly disappointed that you didn't blame leftists for this one.

Old 07-14-2021, 06:40 AM

17,119 posts, read 8,745,284 times
I dont understand why they were able to have one during the pandemic but not now? What changed?

Old 07-14-2021, 06:57 AM

5,301 posts, read 5,283,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Doesn’t surprise me. Liberals are the most selfish people on the planet and California is full of them. They used these dogs and now the dogs are a burden. It’s sickening to me.
Conservatives are always more selfish. Ever conservative I know that owns a dog doesn't do nearly as much for their dogs that I do for mine and my mom's dogs.

Old 07-14-2021, 06:59 AM

36,883 posts, read 31,169,667 times
Quote:
infuriating.

I'm sure it is worse now but this is nothing new. It is one of my pet peeves (no pun intended). I have lost friends and made enemies by voicing my opinion of those who get a pet and later "kick it to the curb" when the new wears off or it becomes inconvenient, or they are having a new baby, or moving, or it is tearing stuff up, or they cant house break it, etc.
I understand sometimes life happens and things cant be helped, but good people will work diligently to find a good home for their pet in that situation not just take them to the pound or worse yet dump them on the road somewhere.

Nearly every dog/cat I have had over the past 40 years has been a rescue of some sort. Currently 4 of my 5 dogs are rescues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies