Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 12:48 PM
gg

26,134 posts, read 26,151,146 times

Advertisements

Just California being California. Nothing new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 07:09 AM

17,063 posts, read 12,694,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
I think it is happening all over. The pet adoption agency my friends up north support have their adoptees trucked up from shelters down here in the south. So sad for those abandoned pets.
This has been going on from years and years. Many norther states have spay neuter laws. many in the south do not.

There was a shelter near my last retail job. All the dogs they got were from NC, SC, GA, FL, or AL. This is 5 years ago.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:16 AM

36,986 posts, read 31,262,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
This has been going on from years and years. Many norther states have spay neuter laws. many in the south do not.

There was a shelter near my last retail job. All the dogs they got were from NC, SC, GA, FL, or AL. This is 5 years ago.
I wish my state did.
Twice in my life I got a dog from my local shelter (years ago). I was required to sign a form promising to get the dog spayed/neutered. They never follow up on that though. I think they even give discount coupons. We do have a spay/neuter clinic that does it free or on a sliding scale for those that cant afford to pay. Their prices are very reasonable, much less than the vet. That is where I take all my rescues even though I have a regular vet, 60$ vs. 160$.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:32 AM

9,655 posts, read 5,447,130 times
I can't even bear thinking about this.

It's like people who 'give up' old dogs....dogs they have had since they were a puppy. How can a person do that? Perhaps I am overly sentimental. And not to anthropamorphise, but imagine the dog's bewilderment. I just can't.......

Old 07-15-2021, 07:35 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,555,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post

It's like people who 'give up' old dogs....dogs they have had since they were a puppy. How can a person do that? Perhaps I am overly sentimental. And not to anthropamorphise, but imagine the dog's bewilderment. I just can't.......
I’m right there with you.

I wish the worst things in the world for people so careless and awful. Some day perhaps they’ll be abandoned by someone they loved and lived for, and will change their ways.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post

Its not just you. I have had a lot of pets in my time. I usually have a pack, cant remember the time when I only had one pet at a time. I have watched so many get old and sick and die. I've had to have a few euthanized also and even that was soo emotional. I felt guilt even though I knew it was the humane thing to do and would wish that when I'm old and in pain someone would do the same for me.
I cant imagine how someone just kids a companion to the curb because they are old or a bit of an inconvenience.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:57 AM

45,902 posts, read 61,339,950 times
Not necessarily wanting to be a prick, but how many of you really believed this would turn out differently?

Old 07-15-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not necessarily wanting to be a prick, but how many of you really believed this would turn out differently?
Your not being a prick. I dont think anyone did.
We see this kind of stuff all the time. Disney is a big culprit. Every time there is a movie staring a particular breed of dog, folks go out and get one then realize life is not a Disney movie and dump the poor animal. People get pets for the wrong reason and dont think it through. Dont consider the time, commitment and money it takes to care for a pet, housing or community restrictions or the breed characteristics and their particular lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies