Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2021, 06:45 PM

34,290 posts, read 17,372,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Bless your heart if you think politicians were not behind this case lol.
The national parties had no say.

Old 12-05-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
Any voter with a decent IQ knows darn well when Trump appointed those three conservative justices that Roe v Wade is in danger of being overturned. Didn’t upset those voters enough to vote against the GOP in the Virginia election. Same can be said in other local elections that the GOP did well in.

There are pro-life and pro-choice in both parties. Then you break down age demographics, religious beliefs, etc. you realize the voting base that will switch party votes on abortion alone is insignificant.
Bingo. POTUS Trump published his SC candidate list early and many like I, adored the list then and now.

It did remain, even in 2016, well below other issues in exit poll importance for BOTH parties.

I do hope Dems continue wrecking the economy and promoting high spend, high taxation polciies foolishly thinking this issue will save them.

2022 elections, like 2021, will be sweet for GOP candidates.

Old 12-05-2021, 06:52 PM

15,778 posts, read 7,802,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Minor issue. Suburbs dominate midterms, as in more than average education relative to region, higher average income vs the region, have kids perhaps, but NEVER unplanned. The type where when they have a kid mom takes 3 months FMLA and is right back at her desk, w/o missing a beat.

Liberals tried saving McAuliffe and the Dems under ticket injecting issues not as relevant as what mattered-to no affect.

Meat and potato issues ("It's the economy, stupid") always prevail, and liberals have no acceptable answers on economic issues to the masses.

Btw: Typically, just 4% of US women are pregnant, and the amount seeking abortions measures in tenths of a single point. In addition, if SC gets rid of Roe, states will need months to enact new laws against abortion, if they desire to do so at all.
12 states have trigger laws that go into effect after Roe is overturned. In Texas, abortion, other than to save the live of the mother, becomes illegal 30 days after Roe is wholly or partially overturned. No exceptions for incest or rape. The Texas Legislature is full of moron thugs.

Old 12-05-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
That view is the reverse of reality. The higher the income, the more one thinks about these things.
Like a friend of mine who was making $350k per year before he retired, and was ranting one day about some tax related thing that was going to cost him $500. Called it an abomination, and how the government was ripping him off. I had to tell him to calm down, $500 was nothing to him. He spends more than that every month playing golf.

Old 12-05-2021, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
12 states have trigger laws that go into effect after Roe is overturned. In Texas, abortion, other than to save the live of the mother, becomes illegal 30 days after Roe is wholly or partially overturned. No exceptions for incest or rape. The Texas Legislature is full of moron thugs.
I am not sure Roe will be fully overturned, although I am confident Mississippi wins this case in terms of its laws being upheld, and I expect the viability standard to be eliminated from federal jurisdiction in full.

Now that would cripple Roe, but not sure SC overturns Roe altogether which is needed for trigger laws to be allowed w/o effective challenges.

Old 12-05-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Like a friend of mine who was making $350k per year before he retired, and was ranting one day about some tax related thing that was going to cost him $500. Called it an abomination, and how the government was ripping him off. I had to tell him to calm down, $500 was nothing to him. He spends more than that every month playing golf.
His money, his priority, and I am all for him making the judgment on his own.

Now had you handed him $500 that would change my POV.

Old 12-05-2021, 07:10 PM

21,422 posts, read 7,520,038 times
Quote:

Meat and potato issues ("It's the economy, stupid") always prevail, and liberals have no acceptable answers on economic issues to the masses.
National health care would be a game changer, despite many promises to the contrary Republicans never had anything to offer, at least the Democrats are willing to work on it.

The 'liberals' came up with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and the Republicans have been trying to kill it off ever since. Losing that would be a serious blow to the average working person and consumer. The Democrats protect it, the Republicans attack it.

The Democrats support raising the minimum wage, child care for working families & public infrastructure improvements (which creates jobs). To say the "liberals have no acceptable answers on economic issues to the masses" means they have nothing acceptable to YOU, but not necessarily unacceptable to the masses.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I am not sure Roe will be fully overturned, although I am confident Mississippi wins this case in terms of its laws being upheld, and I expect the viability standard to be eliminated from federal jurisdiction in full.

Now that would cripple Roe, but not sure SC overturns Roe altogether which is needed for trigger laws to be allowed w/o effective challenges.
Texas law says if Roe is partially overturned, abortion is illegal.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
His money, his priority, and I am all for him making the judgment on his own.

Now had you handed him $500 that would change my POV.
I am tired of people making that kinds of money complaining about high taxes, when their taxes aren't that high. Heck, he went on another rant about how his raise had a 32% marginal rate. Duh, that's the marginal rate bracket he was in. Same percentage on some of the amount before the raise. His average rate was less than 22%.

Old 12-05-2021, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I am tired of people making that kinds of money complaining about high taxes, when their taxes aren't that high. Heck, he went on another rant about how his raise had a 32% marginal rate. Duh, that's the marginal rate bracket he was in. Same percentage on some of the amount before the raise. His average rate was less than 22%.
It's his business, not anyone else's business to be jealous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies