Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2021, 05:12 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,602,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I realize you think labor and delivery -- well I guess technically, it's delivery -- offers magical alchemy that turns whatever you think is in the mother's womb into a baby.

What, is it a turnip, quilt, playstation or ice skates beforehand? A clump of odd cells just stuck to each other? A sheep or walrus?

How does that alchemy of birth work again... you know where the tractor in the womb miraculously turns into a 5-9 pound baby with separate blood type and DNA from his or her mom?

What a religious experience.
It's a fetus, not a baby.

There is a legal distinction between the two.

Word definitions matter, and the law matters.

You may eventually get your way re the definition in the U.S., but you haven't yet.

If that happens, people in many other countries are still going to be, correctly for them, distinguishing between the two.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:22 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,974,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
It's a fetus, not a baby.
Is the baby less dead if you call it by a different name?

Does the mother give birth after a fetus is aborted, since the baby wasn't harmed?

LMK when an abortion saves a baby's life, since apparently babies aren't killed during an abortion, and all the women who got abortions are still pregnant, since abortions don't kill babies.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:30 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,602,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
The race will be on to see who can put the most women barefoot and pregnant in their kitchens!
Some of the posts in this thread reveal that such a race could easily go on between some of the posters in this thread.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:36 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,974,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Some of the posts in this thread reveal that such a race could easily go on between some of the posters in this thread.
Point them out.

I haven't seen one post that matches that description.

I've seen a lot of posts promoting death culture, promoting the idea women are idiots and don't know how to prevent pregnancy, don't understand that sex makes babies, and that women are too dumb to choose sex partners wisely.

All those pro abortion posts come across as extremely insulting to women.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:38 AM

15,555 posts, read 7,577,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Are you saying their doctor didn't tell them that pregnancy was unlikely, but still possible, after tubal litigation? (In the real world, everyone knows this and doesn't need to be told by a doctor). It's not an absolute certainty that you will die if you drive your car into a tree at 70mph, but it would be pretty dumb to bet against it. I'm not sure you understand the concept of personal responsibility. I'll make it easy for you: Prior to engaging in an action, understand the consequences, no matter how unlikely, and accept them before proceeding.
The doctor told them the tubal ligation was 100% effective. She got pregnant 2 1/2 years after the operation, at which point anyone would assume that it was effective.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:44 AM

89,257 posts, read 44,992,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
But you look at it as killing another human. If I kill a human in self defense and another person kills someone because they are annoying, then we have both killed someone. However, I get an exception because I was acting in self defense. The other guy goes to prison. In your world, that's denying the guy who was convicted of murder equal protection under the law. You don't get to have it both ways.
No it isn't. because ANYONE who kills in self-defense is protected. Killing an unborn child for the sake of one's own convenience isn't killing in self-defense. That's why it's unconstitutional for a state law to allow only some but not others to kill an unborn child for any reason other than continuing the pregnancy poses an imminent threat to the mother's life.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
The one constant in these discussions is that women are ill-informed, misinformed, ignorant, or just plain stupid about getting/using birth control in spite of the relentless advertising, as well as condoms in almost every store, and they are also somewhat confused as to how babies are made.

But *somehow* they all know what an abortion is and where to go to get one.
You folks are the ones accusing women of being stupid. The rest of us understand that no one is perfect, and that birth control fails even with perfect use. The only 100% effective birth control is abstinence, and expecting abstinence unless pregnancy is desired is unrealistic - sex is the third strongest human drive after eating and sleeping. We also understand that it's none of our business what decisions a woman and her doctor make about medical procedures.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:47 AM

89,257 posts, read 44,992,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
No, those laws have not set any kind of precedent. They make certain killings of unborn children a crime, but not others.
That's where the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause kicks in. State law has to treat everyone the same. Either anyone can legally kill an unborn child for reasons other than an imminent threat to their own life (aka self-defense), or no one can. Can't have it both ways.

Old 12-13-2021, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Roe was never a federal matter, and soon it will again be a state's decision to make.

The Constitution as written is the focus of SCOTUS again, as should have been the case every year.

Not creative interpretations. The real document, as written, works perfectly.

Don't like it? Fine. We have a system to add amendments. It takes just 38 states to approve one once it passed the legislative process.
So, if I think abortion laws are not constitutional, I can't go to the Supreme Court to get a ruling? Or are you saying the Supremes should have said "sucks to be you, move to another state because we think forced birth is only a state thing, and have no problem tying women to a bed until they give birth."?

Old 12-13-2021, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
In the same traditional way as I, which means we both have the right to live, we may choose our careers, where we live, who we marry, etc.

The Constitution did not cover abortion at all. That was not an accident. It did state all rights not granted the federal government belong at the local level.
The Federal Government is granted powers, not rights. And, the 9th Amendment says that not all rights are enumerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.