Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2021, 04:47 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,346,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Exactly. The statement you are responding to doesn't really work when the circumstances and facts at hand don't support it.

Saying "my body, my choice" works fine for getting an ugly nose ring, tattoos, and dying one's hair pink, but it doesn't work for not being vaccinated against communicable diseases that will be spread to others and create other related fallout (economic, social, etc.).
It was the perfect opportunity to illustrate the essence their argument in its distilled form, and to show how the rhetoric completely misses the issue under discussion. That is the reason I highlighted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 04:49 PM

2,335 posts, read 815,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
Finding ways to increase vaccination rates and blaming the willfully unvaccinated - those without medical contraindications to vaccine who reject their providers’ and public health recommendations - are not mutually exclusive propositions at all.
Nice dodge and deflect. Ignoring the comment won't make it go away. Again, how does that solve a problem? And I think the answer from you and this governor is clearly you dgaf (and you certainly have no respect for a difference of opinion from others, despite the fact that millions sacrificed for you last year).

Old 07-23-2021, 04:55 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
It was the perfect opportunity to illustrate the essence their argument in its distilled form, and to show how the rhetoric completely misses the issue under discussion. That is the reason I highlighted it.
It was. Libertarianism only works when someone who wishes to be left alone in their decisions doesn't infringe on someone else (i.e. my right to swing my arm ends when it whacks someone else's face).

Old 07-23-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Nice dodge and deflect. Ignoring the comment won't make it go away. Again, how does that solve a problem? And I think the answer from you and this governor is clearly you dgaf (and you certainly have no respect for a difference of opinion from others, despite the fact that millions sacrificed for you last year).
I'm not the person your post was quoting but I'll chime in. Plenty of those essential workers were serving others and sacrificing their own comfort, and also being good citizens when it came to abiding by public health precautions, and continuing to do so by getting vaccinated.

It's very fair for someone to respect and admire one action someone was taking, but still saying they (and certain segments of society) need to step things up when it comes to something else that they need to do that they aren't doing. It's not an either-or proposition.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:01 PM

5,992 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
So? It's also different than suicide by jumping off a building. Besides it's a risk not a suicide attempt. More akin to base jumping than defenestration. Have you ever heard of a suicide method that had a 99% survival rate?
Yeah, I can think of lots of much more effective ways than that.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:02 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
2021 will be remembered as the Year of the Great Republican Flip-Flop on Vaccines.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:03 PM

2,335 posts, read 815,227 times
Quote:
Plenty of those essential workers were serving others and sacrificing their own comfort, and also being good citizens when it came to abiding by public health precautions.

It's very fair for someone to respect and admire one action someone was taking, but still saying improvements are needed in how they do things in another way. It's not an either-or proposition.
It's called the principle of reciprocity. Something you and the OP don't seem to understand. People sacrificed for you. However, you feel no need to reciprocate, which would actually make you a free loader or welch. You also don't seem to care about those that can't vaccinate. The knife cuts both ways.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:05 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Fully vaccinated no. I believe around 56%. And there are still states under 40%

Imagine pearl harbor happened in 2021. 40% of the population does not believe it actually happened. Almost half are more concerned about their own personal safety and refuse to fight the enemy. No wonder we are losing the battle with covid.
I totally agree there are like 3 to 5 states still with less than 50% of the people that are not fully vaccinated and most will never even get one shot. I really think the true number of full vaccinated people is like 56% to 59%

Old 07-23-2021, 05:07 PM

5,992 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Exactly. The statement you are responding to doesn't really work when the circumstances and facts at hand don't support it.

Saying "my body, my choice" works fine for getting an ugly nose ring, tattoos, and dying one's hair pink, but it doesn't work for not being vaccinated against communicable diseases that will be spread to others and create other related fallout (economic, social, etc.).
News Flash! Getting vaccinated doesn't prevent a person from catching Covid. And it likely doesn't prevent them from transmitting it either, but I don't have proof of that at the moment.

"SAN ANTONIO – Forty-two people are now in isolation after testing positive for COVID-19 at a San Antonio assisted living facility, a management company for the facility confirms.

The positive cases were reported among 31 residents and 11 staff members last week at Heartis San Antonio Assisted Living and Memory Care on the far North Side.

All 31 residents are fully vaccinated; four staff members are fully vaccinated, three have their first doses and four have not been vaccinated, officials said.
"

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2021...cials-confirm/

Old 07-23-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
It's called the principle of reciprocity. Something you and the OP don't seem to understand. People sacrificed for you. However, you feel no need to reciprocate, which would actually make you a free loader or welch. You also don't seem to care about those that can't vaccinate. The knife cuts both ways.
You seem to be throwing around a lot of personal assumptions without actually having evidence of what I think or don't think about what you're asserting as a fact.

I have much sympathy for people who can't vaccinate for legitimate medical reasons, especially given that they are more vulnerable than ever around people who are taking no precautions because they simply don't want to. You also seem to be making a lot of personal assumptions that I do not appreciate other peoples' services, but you have no evidence for making such a false claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies