Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2021, 04:01 PM

29,500 posts, read 14,656,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shstoy333 View Post
Darwin at it's finest. The right are literally killing themselves for some kind of imaginary "Freedom". Fantastic for the democrats, on the political level, terrible for the unbiased business owners just trying to keep their doors open in fear of more lockdowns because of these dipsh*ts.
Except they aren't, at least here in MI. Much of northern MI, which is Trump country is vaccinated, Detroit and Flint for example have the lowest percentage of vaccinated out of the whole state. I bet, MI isn't the only state like that. You might hate those that vote different than you, for whatever reasons, but i don't think vaccinations are one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2021, 04:01 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I would think people who have health issues which makes it not possible to get the vaccine would want everyone else vaccinated. Having 40% of the public, most of whom do not have medical conditions running around spreading Delta should be something they do not like.

And just to be clear. I have no issues with people with legit medical conditions not getting the vaccine. Of course. They should not be lumped with the anti vaxx crowd. Who I do have a problem with.
My body, my choice
Your body, your choice
Their body, their choice

I try to be consistent in my beliefs, even when it creates a problem for me.

Old 07-23-2021, 04:11 PM

43,123 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Except they aren't, at least here in MI. Much of northern MI, which is Trump country is vaccinated, Detroit and Flint for example have the lowest percentage of vaccinated out of the whole state. I bet, MI isn't the only state like that. You might hate those that vote different than you, for whatever reasons, but i don't think vaccinations are one of them.
Only 39% in Detroit got their first shot.

Who would have thought Detroit was full of right wing anti-vaxxer White Republican supremacists ....

https://www.clickondetroit.com/healt...rest-of-state/
As of Thursday, 39.5% of Detroit residents have received at least one dose. That’s compared to the 62.9% statewide rate.
The least likely to be vaccinated were still in communities of color and those under 40.

Old 07-23-2021, 04:13 PM

29,500 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Only 39% in Detroit got their first shot.

Who would have thought Detroit was full of right wing anti-vaxxer White Republican supremacists ....

https://www.clickondetroit.com/healt...rest-of-state/
As of Thursday, 39.5% of Detroit residents have received at least one dose. That’s compared to the 62.9% statewide rate.
The least likely to be vaccinated were still in communities of color and those under 40.
Exactly, people just want to hate anyone they think is right leaning and will find any excuse to do so. Its a sorry state that our country is in right now.

Old 07-23-2021, 04:15 PM

6,117 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Just more bigoted nonsense from the state of Alabama. Only this time it is medical bigotry instead of racist bigotry.

From the OP link, my italics: “I want folks to get vaccinated. That’s the cure. That prevents everything,” Ivey, a Republican, told reporters in Birmingham, Ala., on Thursday. [
end quote]

Hasn't she heard that those who are vaccinated can ALSO spread COVID? Or that they can get COVID? And that, in very rare cases, they can even die? Evidently not. Maybe it is time for her to retire to an old folks home!

And since when are unvaccinated folks not regular folks? I would guess that would mean, in her opinion, anyone who does not fit with her beliefs.
The Governor is simply urging citizens in Alabama to get vaccinated so that they don't get deathly ill or make others deathly ill from COVID-19. She is making a compassionate plea, and I don't agree that she needs to go into an "old folks home" as you say.

People who have been vaccinated do rarely get breakthrough infections, but they are far less likely to be severe, and far less likely to spread due to the vaccine's reduction in the viral load that is transmissible:

https://news.arizona.edu/story/covid...l-get-infected

Old 07-23-2021, 04:21 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Their body, their choice
I am highlighting this response as an example of what NOT addressing the issue looks like.

The issue is not: Their body, their choice

The issue is: Their body, their choice, our problem

The question is whether those who make personal decisions, against medical and public health recommendation, that lead to a heavy societal burden deserve blame.

The answer is YES, for Governor Ivey and many others.

Old 07-23-2021, 04:34 PM

2,335 posts, read 815,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellopity View Post
I am highlighting this response as an example of what NOT addressing the issue looks like.

The question is whether those who make personal decisions, against medical and public health recommendation, that lead to a heavy societal burden deserve blame.

I don't really care if that is Governor Ivey's answer. I'm more concerned about how her solution of blaming is solving the problem. The answer is IT ISN'T.

Not being vaccinated in no way has to lead to a societal problem either (that is a misnomer). For those that believe in "the science", those that are unvaccinated can certainly continue to follow the same protocols that were already in place. In addition, those that are vaccinated, instead of being defiant and play this childish blame game, can also mask up to prevent immunocompromised people and children from being infected. Will they? Doubtful (and I personally know a few that dgaf and clearly aren't interested in being selfless for others, despite the fact that millions did that for them over the last year).

Old 07-23-2021, 04:40 PM

6,117 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:

Exactly. The statement you are responding to doesn't really work when the circumstances and facts at hand don't support it.

Saying "my body, my choice" works fine for getting an ugly nose ring, tattoos, and dying one's hair pink, but it doesn't work for not being vaccinated against communicable diseases that will be spread to others and create other related fallout (economic, social, etc.).

Last edited by Jowel; 07-23-2021 at 04:53 PM..

Old 07-23-2021, 04:40 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
I don't really care if that is Governor Ivey's answer. I'm more concerned about how her solution of blaming is solving the problem. The answer is IT ISN'T.

Not being vaccinated in no way has to lead to a societal problem either (that is a misnomer). For those that believe in "the science", those that are unvaccinated can certainly continue to follow the same protocols that were already in place. In addition, those that are vaccinated, instead of being defiant and play this childish blame game, can also mask up to prevent immunocompromised people and children from being infected. Will they? Doubtful (and I personally know a few that dgaf and clearly aren't interested in being selfless for others, despite the fact that millions did that for them over the last year).
Finding ways to increase vaccination rates and blaming the willfully unvaccinated - those without medical contraindications to vaccine who reject their providers’ and public health recommendations - are not mutually exclusive propositions at all.

Old 07-23-2021, 04:43 PM

43,123 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Finding ways to increase vaccination rates and blaming the willfully unvaccinated - those without medical contraindications to vaccine who reject their providers’ and public health recommendations - are not mutually exclusive propositions at all.
Pointing the finger at the unvaccinated, who can't be identified, doesn't solve anything.

No different than Biden going on TV blaming Facebook for killing people.

The shaming, the guilt trips, the blaming...won't change peoples' minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies