Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2021, 06:28 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Conservatives of course want to preserve the future, but not based on pseudoscience. There is no evidence man is causing climate change. How much CO2 is currently in the atmosphere? How much has it increased? What evidence is this CO2 affecting the climate?

The drastic steps you want to take is not based in science. There isn’t a scientist who can definitively state man is the cause of climate change, yet you want to put in place life altering mandates to curb climate change?
Absolutely arrogant.

The science is not clear and hardly settled. Science is guess work and a discovery process that is always changing. Scientists do not have a 97% agreement on climate change. Where are you getting that stat?

You do not know what you are talking about.
Well, I could get that stat of 97% from many sources, but I’ll cite NASA which lists many other esteemed scientific organizations like The American Medical Association, the American Meteorological Society, and Geological Society of America as others who also take the official position that Anthropomorphic Climate Change is real and poses an existential threat to humanity.

Check it out if you’d like:

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

There’s also the US Armed Forces, which agree that climate change is a massive threat to human life and world peace and are trying to plan for it as best as they can. Do you trust the American Armed Forces or is it a bunch of woke hippies running the DOD?

https://www.army.mil/standto/archive/2021/05/14/
https://www.defense.gov/Explore/News...change-crisis/
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...limate-change/
https://www.americansecurityproject....litary-basing/

I’m sorry but the science is not on your side. Climate change is real, poses an existential threat to human life on this planet, and can be dealt with if we were willing to make a few lifestyle changes and pressure industry to adopt technology that massively reduced C02 emissions. Meanwhule, the tech for electric vehicles is available and there is no reason why we can’t shoot for all electric in 10 years. That alone would make a big difference.

Old 08-10-2021, 06:34 PM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
in just 140 years of climate record-keeping...laughable.
you have to pay attention....and know where to look

Berkeley Earth "claims" they have recreated the temperature history for Florida...back 228 years...starting at 1793

...but one thing is obvious from their temperature history of Florida

Temperatures go up and down....for instance 1980 was a period of extreme unusual cold

moral is....depending on where someone wants to cherry pick their start and end date...you can show just about anything on a temperature reconstruction

the temp in 1827 was 22.67C...... in 2020 it's 23.38....an increase in temp of 0.71C in ~200 years

...is that accurate....of course not....is it cherry picking....of course

but it's no more cherry picking that someone/scientists starting when temps were abnormally low....and claiming a fake increase in temperatures either

when what actually happened....is after an extremely cold event...temps returned to normal

Climate scientists are famous for doing that....starting their temp reconstruction in the 1970's....unusually cold period....when it they would just go back a few more years....they can't show the rapid increase in temps they are trying to show....their agenda

Florida temp history > Whats New - Berkeley Earth

Old 08-10-2021, 06:50 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Fact is there is no God, no deus ex-machina that is going to save us. There is no God that makes our planet a magic planet, miraculously disposing of our waste and letting us pursue our growth-at-any-cost ways forever. It’s simply not physically possible.
Are you suggesting we return to the days of the Stone Age? Or that all of us except for the privileged do so? You unintentionally revealed the psychology behind the Chicken Little prophecies; :...letting us pursue our growth-at-any-cost ways forever. It’s simply not physically possible." There is no fear of specific activity; it's guilt about doing well.

Old 08-10-2021, 06:58 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,178 times
Looks like 98% of economists also believe in man-made climate change. They also support immediate and drastic action be taken to stop it. You gotta be willing to ignore a lot these days to engage in climate change denial. Reminds me of the people who continued to insist smoking was safe well into the 70’s and 80’s.

https://policyintegrity.org/files/pu...on_Climate.pdf

Old 08-10-2021, 07:04 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times
I suppose the dinosaurs didn't believe in climate change either -- until they went extinct.
A shame we humans aren't smarter. Guess we'll keep driving our mammoth SUV's and trucks until our bodies become oil for future generations...if any are around ...

Old 08-10-2021, 07:09 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post

And no, Aussiehoff. No one said we were “all meant to be flooded by now.” Maybe you should familiarize yourself with the science before posting about it.
I didn't post about the Science, as one so learned as yourself should have been able to discern.... I posted about what Climate change activists have been saying for many many years.

It may give you a hint as to why many people place little faith in the models and projections.

By the way, I support the science of climate change, but can recognise the negative impact Climate Change communication tactics of "scare" has had on the preparedness of people to act.

And yes, 10 years ago and longer, we were told of catastrophic events that would be happening by now.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:10 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Are you another one who doesn't pay attention to current international environmental news?

I pay very close attention to it. Are you another who jumps to conclusions???

Old 08-10-2021, 07:56 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,406,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Are you suggesting we return to the days of the Stone Age? Or that all of us except for the privileged do so? You unintentionally revealed the psychology behind the Chicken Little prophecies; :...letting us pursue our growth-at-any-cost ways forever. It’s simply not physically possible." There is no fear of specific activity; it's guilt about doing well.
Look. We have two choices:

1) Find a way to scale back (fossil fuel-driven) growth in general while also moving on to nuclear energy. Why nuclear? Because renewables just aren’t going to cut it. Humanity used renewable energy for millennia, but it was only the turn to fossil fuels that allowed the industrial revolution. We need some equally powerful energy source to replace fossil fuels and nuclear is the only one that comes close.

Why scale back growth? Because to avoid severe affects of climate change we need to have started seriously addressing the problem a couple of decades ago. And we didn’t so here we are already starting to stew in our own waste products. Maybe with enough innovation and restructuring of our energy sources we can eventually return to a growth model … but that will be pretty pretty pretty far in the future at this point.

2) Do little to nothing to change business as usual … and have the esrth effectively stop growth for us (by making crops ungrowable, whole regions uninhabitable, running out of fossil fuels, etc.)

In either case growth will stop. It’s just a question of do you take control (and mitigate the chaos) or do we simply let chaos overtake us?

You say:
Quote:
There is no fear of a specific activity; it’s guilt about doing well.
No, there is no fear of one specific activity because it is not one specific activity that is the problem, but a whole system. And the motivating factor is reason and science, not guilt.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:58 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,406,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
I didn't post about the Science, as one so learned as yourself should have been able to discern.... I posted about what Climate change activists have been saying for many many years.

It may give you a hint as to why many people place little faith in the models and projections.

By the way, I support the science of climate change, but can recognise the negative impact Climate Change communication tactics of "scare" has had on the preparedness of people to act.

And yes, 10 years ago and longer, we were told of catastrophic events that would be happening by now.
There are catastrophic events happening now. Or maybe you somehow missed all the record-smashing heat waves, floods, droughts. and wildfires all over the world this summer … and this past winter … and last summer.

Old 08-10-2021, 08:01 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
I pay very close attention to it. Are you another who jumps to conclusions???
Depending on the way another person says things, yes, I might jump to conclusions about them. The way you phrased your question seemed to imply that you believe in and expect predictions, prognostications and prophesies to happen and then you get unhappy when you think they aren't happening your way when they actually are happening but not exactly when, where and in the way you expected them to happen.

So I asked if you are one of those who aren't paying close attention to current international environmental news. Maybe I could jump to the conclusion that, like so many others, you're simply being selective about the news you want to hear and pay attention to?

Heat comes first before melt, rain and flood. The exceptionally high heat and fire is turned on now, the melting is happening in all cold places and the rain and the flooding is happening but not in all places yet, and not as fast as you were expecting according to the prognostications. Have patience Grasshopper and don't count on the prognosticators to be as accurate as you expect. The floods that you're expecting will follow soon enough.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-10-2021 at 08:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies