Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 10:42 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times

Advertisements

WHO discourages booster shots among wealthy countries and instead prefers surplus vaccines be donated to poor countries.

Nonetheless, at least 3 countries intend booster shots.

Israel has been giving boosters to those 60 and older and is considering reducing the eligibility age to 45.

Both France and Germany intend to make boosters available to the most vulnerable beginning in September.

CDC estimates at least 1.1 million people have received unauthorized booster shots. Florida is among the states reporting highest number of people opting for a third shot, followed by Ohio, California, Illinois and Tennessee.

https://abc11.com/covid-nc-vaccine-b...-3rd/10944499/

Despite noise to the contrary, county, state and federal governments do not have the ability to track vaccine status, real time. I was inoculated in April. SS #was not required. Nor was an ID. So much for the crapola about the deep state plan to issue vaccine passports and track movement.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:43 AM

7,379 posts, read 3,539,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
That's why I am back to masking at the grocery store when I go at off-peak times and no longer going into restaurants.
But instead of doing that because I feared hospitalization or death, it's now that I don't want to risk being down and out for a few weeks. While the vaccine unfortunately might not be as effective at the variant (something that is no shock if you opened a newspaper in the past year - we knew this was a possibility), it is still very effective at preventing serious illness.
That’s certainly your choice and I respect that but I hope you consider your age and your Inevitable mortality . They are locking down nursing homes in my area where the patients aren’t able to leave their rooms. These people don’t have much time left anyway, and now have to abstain from life in order to live.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:49 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
And many flus cycle through the economy with flu vaxxes with lower efficacy which why reaction/policy should've been much closer to the annual flu
Eventually, but not yet as Covid 19 is still way more dangerous than Influenza. IMO Influenza gives us a basic idea about deciding on the Pandemic's acute endpoint, before it becomes more like Influenza.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:50 AM

43,132 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
This is why it's logical that getting vaccinated becomes annual. Not all vaccines are a one-and-done thing.
Semi annual. Pfizer said "up to 6 months" back in Jan.

Israel, UK and Italy are giving third shot now to people who got vaccinated 5+ months ago.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:51 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Focus on the “ yes, but” statement within your link.

No data so far has found either vaccines protection against severe disease and death is significantly less against Delta.

Bottom line, this study implies Pfizer vaccine appears to be less effective against a breakthrough infection of the Delta variant than original Covid, while offering compariable protection against severe disease and death.

All vaccines were developed, trialed and approved before the Delta variant emerged.
Yes, that's just it. The Pfizer vaccine still prevents death and serious disease very well. It's just that you have a higher chance of getting mild disease than you do with Moderna.

I care about as much about getting mild COVID as I do about getting a cold or mild flu. It is the death and severe disease that I really care about, and the Pfizer vaccine does very well preventing that.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:51 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
This is why it's logical that getting vaccinated becomes annual. Not all vaccines are a one-and-done thing.
It’s looking much more like twice a year boosters for life.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:54 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma_Duce View Post
Interesting……

Pfizer vaccine was only 42% effective against the Delta variant

A new preprint study that raises concerns about the mRNA vaccines' effectiveness against Delta — particularly Pfizer's — has already grabbed the attention of top Biden administration officials.

What they're saying: The study found the Pfizer vaccine was only 42% effective against infection in July, when the Delta variant was dominant. "If that's not a wakeup call, I don't know what is," a senior Biden official told Axios.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-va...0be357070.html
So now you're mad because the Biden Admin is monitoring and willing to adapt as new data comes in? Jeez, I thought I'd seen it all, but this is a new one.

You might recall, the Pfizer Vax was created "pre-Delta", so it's a good thing to monitor, and I give credit to anyone who is willing to admit that the solution they had applauded is no longer as effective (for any reason), and they are willing to take action to fix it.

Why is this a bad thing?

Old 08-11-2021, 10:56 AM

43,132 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
So now you're mad because the Biden Admin is monitoring and willing to adapt as new data comes in? Jeez, I thought I'd seen it all, but this is a new one.

You might recall, the Pfizer Vax was created "pre-Delta", so it's a good thing to monitor, and I give credit to anyone who is willing to admit that the solution they had applauded is no longer as effective (for any reason), and they are willing to take action to fix it.

Why is this a bad thing?
This is NOT new data.
Pfizer said back in January that their high efficacy would be good for "up to 6 months".

It's news that the MSM nor the government bothered to tell you.
But it was stated by Pfizer.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:02 AM

2,367 posts, read 910,329 times
I don't think it's all because of a variant. I think Pfizer never had 95% efficacy outside of the clinical trials.

This is how they got the 95% :

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...vid-19-vaccine

(To summarize, 43,000 participants, half given placebo, 170 got covid, with 162 unvaccinated and 8 vaccinated. 10 became seriously ill, 9 of them unvaccinated and 1 of them vaccinated)

First we notice only 170 out of 43,000 became infected. So the study was not done in a place and time when coronavirus was raging.

For efficacy against serious illness, it came down to only 10 people. You say it's ok since the study was random. But we don't know if it's random, because we don't know which demographics are predisposed to becoming seriously ill with covid. That's why normally vaccines require years of multiple studies to be approved.

Lastly, the Pfizer vaccine needs to be kept at minus 70 degrees Celsius, that's 70 degrees below the freezing point of water. That was the clinical trial condition.

But in actual distribution of the vaccine, the FDA allows thawed doses to be stored in office refrigerators for up to 30 days.

And now Pfizer is pushing for the booster shot. But it's still the same stuff. I had hoped they'd continue to improve the vaccine.

I'm not anti-vac. I got the Pfizer vaccine. I just think the vaccinated should continue to be vigilant.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:04 AM

4,960 posts, read 2,240,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma_Duce View Post
Interesting……

Pfizer vaccine was only 42% effective against the Delta variant

A new preprint study that raises concerns about the mRNA vaccines' effectiveness against Delta — particularly Pfizer's — has already grabbed the attention of top Biden administration officials.

What they're saying: The study found the Pfizer vaccine was only 42% effective against infection in July, when the Delta variant was dominant. "If that's not a wakeup call, I don't know what is," a senior Biden official told Axios.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-va...0be357070.html
Any mention of the effectiveness of a previous COVID infection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies