Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 11:46 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Yes, that's just it. The Pfizer vaccine still prevents death and serious disease very well. It's just that you have a higher chance of getting mild disease than you do with Moderna.

I care about as much about getting mild COVID as I do about getting a cold or mild flu. It is the death and severe disease that I really care about, and the Pfizer vaccine does very well preventing that.
I respect your opinion given your profession and front line experience, especially last year.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:51 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,763,837 times
And here I have been living as I have my entire life wondering what this virus everyone's talking about is.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:53 AM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
That is EXACTLY my point.

The Delta Variant was first detected in the USA in March: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/22/h...ant-covid.html

Pfizer's statement was made based on information at the time. The information did not "Turn out to be wrong", rather new variables were introduced (aka "new").

So again, put down the propaganda pipe, and just slow down enough to realize that (thanks in part to anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers) the virus has mutated, and as such, a shot that was 95+% effective against the strains that were out when they made that statement, may not be as effective against strains that had not even been identified in the USA at the time.
The pfizer vaccine is waning. it was never a one and done like polio, smallpox, chickenpox.

And a covid/flu annual vaccine is already in trial. Both are mRNA.

That's not propaganda. It's out there on medical sites. Just not on CNN or the CDC's website.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:25 PM

2,367 posts, read 910,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I seem to remember hearing about large amounts of vaccine that were discarded because they hadn't been stored properly.
Yes I am glad some bad doses were indeed discarded. But I was referring to the change in policy.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/pres...vid-19-vaccine

I am skeptical when conditions required by "The Science" goes from -70 degrees to +8 degrees for the exact same medicine, and for no apparent reason except to allow for faster distribution.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:28 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
That’s certainly your choice and I respect that but I hope you consider your age and your Inevitable mortality . They are locking down nursing homes in my area where the patients aren’t able to leave their rooms. These people don’t have much time left anyway, and now have to abstain from life in order to live.

I didn't survive stage IV cancer at 23 only to further impact the quality of life on my already damaged lungs by not taking every precaution against COVID. It has been 10 years and my lungs will never allow me to do the things I did before chemo, but I have hard fought for every bit of the regained functionality. Friends experiencing long COVID have very similar symptoms to when chemo cured my cancer but wrecked my lungs... and it's not something I wish on anyone.

My 90 year old grandmother lives in an assisted living home which has individual apartments. Her next door neighbor has COVID (for the 2nd time) and is home, and there is no testing available at the site for residents. And yet the staff is not vaccinated and no one is even checked at the door to visit. The staff does not regularly wear masks and, unfortunately, I am missing the last years of my beloved grandmother's life because it's too risky for me to visit that environment.

And when we tried to find another facility for her, all had similar plans and none required vaccination for staff, residents, or visitors. We (including my grandmother) would prefer a lockdown to what is currently happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
And many flus cycle through the economy with flu vaxxes with lower efficacy which why reaction/policy should've been much closer to the annual flu

In the worst flu season in recent history, 61,099 died with no precautions- including my healthy 30-something best friend whose body I found in her apartment. It was all over the news because of how serious it was.

More than 600,000 have died in the US from COVID despite extreme precautions. On what world is it logical that policy should have been anywhere close to how we address the flu?

Old 08-11-2021, 12:30 PM

2,367 posts, read 910,049 times
There's talk of using Sputnik V as Pfizer third dose. I would take that if offered.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:36 PM

5,517 posts, read 2,407,298 times
Looks like they grouped single and double vaccinated in the same group. I would take these specific results with a grain of salt.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:45 PM

7,378 posts, read 3,536,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I didn't survive stage IV cancer at 23 only to further impact the quality of life on my already damaged lungs by not taking every precaution against COVID. It has been 10 years and my lungs will never allow me to do the things I did before chemo, but I have hard fought for every bit of the regained functionality. Friends experiencing long COVID have very similar symptoms to when chemo cured my cancer but wrecked my lungs... and it's not something I wish on anyone.
Sorry you have to deal with that. Sounds like you are a high risk due to your lung issue. That would honestly make me not leave the house. Unfortunately there is no way out of this

Old 08-11-2021, 12:55 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,001,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It’s looking much more like twice a year boosters for life.
Which can easily be scheduled at an CVS, Walgreens, doctors office rather than an infection is rather hard to schedule.....

Old 08-11-2021, 12:55 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Since Pfizer was the first vaccine to be distributed, it should be the first to lose effectiveness over time, if it's protection fades at all.
Your post is a bit misleading, as 9 months ago, Pfizer's vaccine was much more protective. Since it is radically new, Pfizer had no way to predict how long the protection would last, how much it would fade, or how quickly it would lose effectiveness.

Their problem isn't their vaccine. It's the ability of the Covid-19 virus to mutate very rapidly and radically.
Never forget the fact that Covid itself is brand new, and has found a brand new feeding ground in humans.

It's the super-virus scientists feared when SARS appeared. SARS is more spectacular, with bleeding from the eyes and all, and much more lethal, but it's very hard to catch, which means the virus had a big problem.

Viruses have no brain, so the only way they can survive is to mutate. If they kill their prey, the virus dies off. Since their prey is always developing defenses about as fast as most viruses mutate, we get sick, but we don't die or are hospitalized.

The Delta 4 variant is the mutation that works the best for Covid-19 to survive. It didn't exist when Pfizer released their vaccine. It's the super star of the family, but it's still Covid-19, so Pfizer's vaccine will still work against it at 97% effectiveness after 2 shots, 2 weeks apart.

We all may need booster shots soon. If Covid finds another big mutation that's even better for it, we may need another vaccine to protect us against Covid-20.

Do not believe this virus will just leave us alone and go away. It's here to stay until there are enough people everywhere that are vaccinated to force Covid to starve and die.

Until that happens, we are in the fight, like it or not, and if any of us lose, it could cost our life. If you are not protected, you will be infected.
Even at 42% protection, that's much more than none. Especially when your life is at stake.
I agree with all you say except there is no Covid-20. Despite what the Nuge said.

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/ted...d-1-through-18
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies