Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2021, 11:05 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,657,325 times

Advertisements

Not necessarily true:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jvchama...h=6a8c1d0514a0

Old 08-11-2021, 11:09 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,464,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Any mention of the effectiveness of a previous COVID infection?
Very effective. I've been trying to find data related to the Delta, and so far can't find much. The recommendation remains that we get vaccinated.

I had Covid 19 in March 2020, and got Moderna jab #1 in Jan of 2021. But not #2 since it made me so sick.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:09 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma_Duce View Post
Interesting……

Pfizer vaccine was only 42% effective against the Delta variant

A new preprint study that raises concerns about the mRNA vaccines' effectiveness against Delta — particularly Pfizer's — has already grabbed the attention of top Biden administration officials.

What they're saying: The study found the Pfizer vaccine was only 42% effective against infection in July, when the Delta variant was dominant. "If that's not a wakeup call, I don't know what is," a senior Biden official told Axios.

https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-va...0be357070.html

Competing Interest Statement

AP, PJL, ES, MJN, JC, AJV, and VS are employees of nference and have financial interests in the company. nference is collaborating with Moderna, Pfizer, Janssen, and other bio-pharmaceutical companies on data science initiatives unrelated to this study. These collaborations had no role in study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript. JCO receives personal fees from Elsevier and Bates College, and receives small grants from nference, Inc, outside the submitted work. ADB is supported by grants from NIAID (grants AI110173 and AI120698), Amfar (#109593), and Mayo Clinic (HH Shieck Khalifa Bib Zayed Al-Nahyan Named Professorship of Infectious Diseases). ADB is a paid consultant for Abbvie, Gilead, Freedom Tunnel, Pinetree therapeutics Primmune, Immunome and Flambeau Diagnostics, is a paid member of the DSMB for Corvus Pharmaceuticals, Equilium, and Excision Biotherapeutics, has received fees for speaking for Reach MD and Medscape, owns equity for scientific advisory work in Zentalis and nference, and is founder and President of Splissen Therapeutics. MDS received grant funding from Pfizer via Duke University for a vaccine side effect registry. JH, JCO, AV, MDS and ADB are employees of the Mayo Clinic. The Mayo Clinic may stand to gain financially from the successful outcome of the research. This research has been reviewed by the Mayo Clinic Conflict of Interest Review Board and is being conducted in compliance with Mayo Clinic Conflict of Interest policies.

Any studies from people that aren't financially invested in the result?

Old 08-11-2021, 11:12 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,358,282 times
Quote:
Interesting……

Are you saying people shouldn't get vaccinated? With no shot a person is almost twice as likely to get covid and pretty much guaranteed to get a stronger case. Sounds like a pretty good argument for the Pfizer vaccine. Or better yet, the Moderna one.

Quote:
“Based on the data that we have so far, it is a combination of both factors," said Venky Soundararajan, a lead author of the study. "The Moderna vaccine is likely — very likely — more effective than the Pfizer vaccine in areas where Delta is the dominant strain, and the Pfizer vaccine appears to have a lower durability of effectiveness.”
Or get the updated vaccine:

Quote:
In a statement, Pfizer said it and BioNTech "expect to be able to develop and produce a tailor-made vaccine against that variant in approximately 100 days after a decision to do so, subject to regulatory approval."

Old 08-11-2021, 11:17 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
This is NOT new data.
Pfizer said back in January that their high efficacy would be good for "up to 6 months".

It's news that the MSM nor the government bothered to tell you.
But it was stated by Pfizer.
That is EXACTLY my point.

The Delta Variant was first detected in the USA in March: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/22/h...ant-covid.html

Pfizer's statement was made based on information at the time. The information did not "Turn out to be wrong", rather new variables were introduced (aka "new").

So again, put down the propaganda pipe, and just slow down enough to realize that (thanks in part to anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers) the virus has mutated, and as such, a shot that was 95+% effective against the strains that were out when they made that statement, may not be as effective against strains that had not even been identified in the USA at the time.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:27 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,874,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
This is why it's logical that getting vaccinated becomes annual. Not all vaccines are a one-and-done thing.
Good luck with all those extra spike proteins floating around inside your body.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:29 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Quote:
Interesting……

A new preprint study that raises concerns about the mRNA vaccines' effectiveness against Delta — particularly Pfizer's — has already grabbed the attention of top Biden administration officials.

What they're saying: The study found the Pfizer vaccine was only 42% effective against infection in July, when the Delta variant was dominant. "If that's not a wakeup call, I don't know what is," a senior Biden official told Axios.

Since Pfizer was the first vaccine to be distributed, it should be the first to lose effectiveness over time, if it's protection fades at all.
Your post is a bit misleading, as 9 months ago, Pfizer's vaccine was much more protective. Since it is radically new, Pfizer had no way to predict how long the protection would last, how much it would fade, or how quickly it would lose effectiveness.

Their problem isn't their vaccine. It's the ability of the Covid-19 virus to mutate very rapidly and radically.
Never forget the fact that Covid itself is brand new, and has found a brand new feeding ground in humans.

It's the super-virus scientists feared when SARS appeared. SARS is more spectacular, with bleeding from the eyes and all, and much more lethal, but it's very hard to catch, which means the virus had a big problem.

Viruses have no brain, so the only way they can survive is to mutate. If they kill their prey, the virus dies off. Since their prey is always developing defenses about as fast as most viruses mutate, we get sick, but we don't die or are hospitalized.

The Delta 4 variant is the mutation that works the best for Covid-19 to survive. It didn't exist when Pfizer released their vaccine. It's the super star of the family, but it's still Covid-19, so Pfizer's vaccine will still work against it at 97% effectiveness after 2 shots, 2 weeks apart.

We all may need booster shots soon. If Covid finds another big mutation that's even better for it, we may need another vaccine to protect us against Covid-20.

Do not believe this virus will just leave us alone and go away. It's here to stay until there are enough people everywhere that are vaccinated to force Covid to starve and die.

Until that happens, we are in the fight, like it or not, and if any of us lose, it could cost our life. If you are not protected, you will be infected.
Even at 42% protection, that's much more than none. Especially when your life is at stake.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:41 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,927,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
I don't think it's all because of a variant. I think Pfizer never had 95% efficacy outside of the clinical trials.

This is how they got the 95% :

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...vid-19-vaccine

(To summarize, 43,000 participants, half given placebo, 170 got covid, with 162 unvaccinated and 8 vaccinated. 10 became seriously ill, 9 of them unvaccinated and 1 of them vaccinated)

First we notice only 170 out of 43,000 became infected. So the study was not done in a place and time when coronavirus was raging.

For efficacy against serious illness, it came down to only 10 people. You say it's ok since the study was random. But we don't know if it's random, because we don't know which demographics are predisposed to becoming seriously ill with covid. That's why normally vaccines require years of multiple studies to be approved.

Lastly, the Pfizer vaccine needs to be kept at minus 70 degrees Celsius, that's 70 degrees below the freezing point of water. That was the clinical trial condition.

But in actual distribution of the vaccine, the FDA allows thawed doses to be stored in office refrigerators for up to 30 days.

And now Pfizer is pushing for the booster shot. But it's still the same stuff. I had hoped they'd continue to improve the vaccine.

I'm not anti-vac. I got the Pfizer vaccine. I just think the vaccinated should continue to be vigilant.
You're right about the original trials. With only 170 people getting Covid, that's a pretty small N and so not likely to be very accurate. Real world experience found it to be more like 85-90%, I believe. I question the part about storage temperature. I seem to remember hearing about large amounts of vaccine that were discarded because they hadn't been stored properly.

Agree about the booster shot. The vaccine works by eliciting antibodies against the spike protein. If the spike protein has mutated, those antibodies might no longer bind or bind less strongly. Boosting against the alpha variant doesn't seem like it would help much - you need a new vaccine with the delta variant spike protein.

The question about protection by previous Covid infection is interesting. If you were infected with the alpha variant you might not be protected against delta variant, for the same reason as above. But you might have less severe disease, same as with the vaccine.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
That’s certainly your choice and I respect that but I hope you consider your age and your Inevitable mortality . They are locking down nursing homes in my area where the patients aren’t able to leave their rooms. These people don’t have much time left anyway, and now have to abstain from life in order to live.
In many cases, nursing home residents were not allowed to leave, have guests or engage in communal activities for a year, +/- Nonetheless, nursing homes had and continue to have disproportionately high infection rates.

So how come nursing home residents continue to be infected at disproportionate rates?

Covid walks in the door with every shift change. In my state, the vaccinated rate among employees at some private and VA nursing homes is as low as 20%. Weekly testing of all employees does not address the gap between tests nor test and results.

Every nursing home is dependent on state Medicaid and Medicare for a portion of their income. It is surprising how most states have not mandated all nursing home employees be vaccinated. There are chronic staffing shortages in most nursing homes which dates back nearly 2 decades. Nursing homes are required to have only 1 RN on duty for 8 hours a day. The majority of nursing home employees are RELATIVELY low paid and educated.

There are 3,006 counties in the US. There is no standard in terms of how nursing home acquired infections are reported, given most deaths occur in hospitals or hospice.

Families, if any, are free to bring the elderly/ disabled relative home and provide round the clock care and companionship as once was common. Easier said than done.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:43 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,361,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Good luck with all those extra spike proteins floating around inside your body.
Good luck with all that Covid virus floating around inside your body! I mean its not like some folks believe it was a intentionally designed weapon.....right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies