Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 06:41 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,598,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Everybody who ignored the conditions that lead to 9-11 is as guilty as sin.

It's all Biden's fault is BS. He screwed up, but he's not the only one.
I don't remember people hanging on the wheels and falling off US military aircrafts, or Americans being lifted off the US embassy in Afghanistan since the war in Astan started 20 years ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 06:44 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,220,900 times
Quote:

This. The handling of the withdrawal was completely bungled, I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise. But to somehow say that every death from terrorism from here forward is solely the responsibility of Biden is high hyperbole. He'll have a portion of the blame, but to ignore other events and other actors in shaping history seems a little short-sighted.

Old 08-21-2021, 06:52 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,047,952 times
Quote:

Trump officials back away from 2020 Taliban peace deal after withdrawal chaos

"A number of former senior Trump officials have sought to distance themselves from the Taliban peace deal that was signed in February 2020, with chaos erupting after the militants took control of Afghanistan this week.

Why it matters: The agreement has come under new scrutiny for laying the groundwork for the U.S. military's withdrawal from Afghanistan, which coincided with a sweeping Taliban offensive that ended in the fall of Kabul on Sunday.

What they're saying:

Former UN ambassador Nikki Haley, who resigned from the Trump administration before the agreement was finalized, tweeted Wednesday: "Negotiating with the Taliban is like dealing with the devil."

Flashback: Haley praised Trump's goal of reaching a deal with the Taliban in January 2018, and she was still in the administration when it started seeking direct talks with Taliban officials in July 2018.

Former acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller told Defense One this week that Trump's agreement was actually a "play" to mask his administration's true intentions, which were to broker a Taliban-led government that would allow a small number of U.S. troops to remain in the country to conduct counterterrorism missions.

Miller's claims come despite Trump repeatedly publicly revealing his desire to end the Afghanistan War and his significant troop reductions in the final months of his administration.

Lisa Curtis, a former senior National Security Council official who sat alongside Afghanistan envoy Zalmay Khalilzad during the negotiations with the Taliban, told AP: "The Doha agreement was a very weak agreement, and the U.S. should have gained more concessions from the Taliban."

Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper, who was fired by Trump in November 2020, said he believed at the time the agreement was signed that it should have been "conditions-based," which is in part why he later objected to Trump's call for a Christmas homecoming for U.S. troops.

Esper told CNN that although Biden is responsible for the outcome in Afghanistan, Trump "undermined" the agreement and weakened U.S. leverage in negotiations by impatiently calling for troop reductions in the country.

John Bolton and H.R. McMaster, two former Trump National Security Advisers known for their hawkish views, have lambasted both Trump and Biden for the withdrawal — though both have long been critical of the Taliban agreement.

"Our Secretary of State [Mike Pompeo] signed a surrender agreement with the Taliban," McMaster said on Bari Weiss' podcast. "This collapse goes back to the capitulation agreement of 2020. The Taliban didn’t defeat us. We defeated ourselves."

Bolton told CNN: "Had Trump been re-elected, he’d be doing the same thing. On this question of withdrawal from Afghanistan, Trump and Biden are like Tweedledee and Tweedledum."

https://www.axios.com/trump-taliban-...51bd47ed6.html

Last edited by World Citizen; 08-21-2021 at 07:28 AM..

Old 08-21-2021, 07:07 AM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
I don't remember people hanging on the wheels and falling off US military aircrafts, or Americans being lifted off the US embassy in Afghanistan since the war in Astan started 20 years ago
Do you remember that young girl who "testified" before what was supposed to be a congressional hearing about human rights in Kuwait? That media pr stunt by Hill and Knowlton convinced Americans that we should protect Kuwait from Iraq. Thanks to H Bush who had the sense to get in and get out it was brief. But it also got Iraq in the news 24/7 for years after.

Do you remember When Cheney was head of Halliburton when they did a deal without doing due diligence. Halliburton was days from declaring bankruptcy.

Simultaneously, the people accounting for weapons in Iraq could account for the weapons down to the part numbers. But, Cheney's pension was at stake. So into Iraq we go. Rumsfeld said they'd be throwing roses at out feet. How long did that last, how many dead troops, how much taxpayer money did it take?

I just ordered another copy of Charley Wilson's War to refresh my memory of the millions and millions in weapons almost secretly given to the wonderful fighting men of Afghanistan by the USA, Saudi Arabia and Israel.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:08 AM

21,945 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
I'm a Biden voter and was a supporter..now I think he should fire all of his foreign affairs advisors and then resign..
I am going to guess that you had no idea he had dementia because wherever you get all your news wasn't telling you.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:22 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,068,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Jill is also responsible for this. She knows her husband, like no one else does. She knows he should not be president.....she just wanted to be First Lady Dr Jill Biden.
I agree

Old 08-21-2021, 07:23 AM

14,232 posts, read 4,598,157 times
Quote:
Do you remember that young girl who "testified" before what was supposed to be a congressional hearing about human rights in Kuwait? That media pr stunt by Hill and Knowlton convinced Americans that we should protect Kuwait from Iraq. Thanks to H Bush who had the sense to get in and get out it was brief. But it also got Iraq in the news 24/7 for years after.

Do you remember When Cheney was head of Halliburton when they did a deal without doing due diligence. Halliburton was days from declaring bankruptcy.

Simultaneously, the people accounting for weapons in Iraq could account for the weapons down to the part numbers. But, Cheney's pension was at stake. So into Iraq we go. Rumsfeld said they'd be throwing roses at out feet. How long did that last, how many dead troops, how much taxpayer money did it take?

I just ordered another copy of Charley Wilson's War to refresh my memory of the millions and millions in weapons almost secretly given to the wonderful fighting men of Afghanistan by the USA, Saudi Arabia and Israel.
I don't remember any of that either, but i do remember Biden voted to go to Afghanistan and then Iraq 20 years ago.

But hey let's blame Trump who's only been active in politics for 4 years.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:24 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,068,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
This. The handling of the withdrawal was completely bungled, I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise. But to somehow say that every death from terrorism from here forward is solely the responsibility of Biden is high hyperbole. He'll have a portion of the blame, but to ignore other events and other actors in shaping history seems a little short-sighted.
Sorry he is thenPresident he is making the decisions..he is 100% responsible. And if the Taliban makes it to American soil and hurts anyone it is his responsibility, and that of the demcorats..they voted for him.

Can’t have Trump responsible when he is President for everything and let Biden off this would be morally wrong and we would t want that.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:28 AM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I am going to guess that you had no idea he had dementia because wherever you get all your news wasn't telling you.
As someone living with a person at the beginnings of memory loss, IDK if they just let Biden out in public on his good days or what.

And even though I voted for the not Trump candidate, I have never been a fan of Biden. Especially since he was the one who did not allow the other 2 to testify, giving us Clarence Thomas.

That said, he didn't do this alone. There is a 50 year history and thousands of government workers involved.

Biden said when he asked the military when the Afghans would be ready to defend their nation, he was told IDK.

Just look at the division in this country over Covid masks. Now imagine the tribal warfare in Afghanistan. We never should have been there in the 1st place. And why any country or person has anything to do with Pakistan and SA is a mystery to me.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:28 AM

17,804 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger84Ag View Post
Sorry he is thenPresident he is making the decisions..he is 100% responsible. And if the Taliban makes it to American soil and hurts anyone it is his responsibility, and that of the demcorats..they voted for him.

Can’t have Trump responsible when he is President for everything and let Biden off this would be morally wrong and we would t want that.
And when nothing happens we can still say it's because the Taliban is still scared of Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies