Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 10:49 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,444,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
@ deadspeak
I'm retired now, but I worked for an electric utility in Florida USA..
Think.... large construction sites , like building power plant or switch yards and substations, all had dedicated water and ice kegs through out the work sites. Helpers took care of these tasks among other things.
Union job ? Have never seen anything like that before

Old 08-24-2021, 10:54 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
I'd just quit ... It's nice to have enough leverage that you can tell an employer to pound sand when they treat you like slaves. We get 20-30 minute breaks every 2 hours, which we can stretch out more if the machines are running.

Old 08-24-2021, 11:03 AM

19,845 posts, read 12,113,717 times
OP, your thread title is a lie and you should be ashamed of yourself.

NO ONE IS TRYING TO BAN WATER BREAKS

Old 08-24-2021, 11:07 AM

18,501 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Because cities do not have a higher authority than the state in which they are located and the nation in which they exist. Thems the rules.
Republicans are funny. They believe in weak centralized government and more local control, unless local government enact laws to protect labor. Funny how that works.

Old 08-24-2021, 11:09 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
LOL.

Well looks liked we have well established that Texas isnt trying to ban water breaks.
The OP is attempting to deceive or is deceived.

Texas is simply doing its job in preventing idiot leftist moron local government from causing mayhem for businesses. This is covered by federal employment law. No one is being told they cant have a break. no company is being told they can deny breaks.

thats stupid.

and very leftist

Old 08-24-2021, 11:11 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
You deliberately misconstrued what I meant. What is stopping the employees from bringing a thermos of water to work? That has always been the norm for outside workers. If you know you are going to be working in the heat, why wouldn't you do the reasonable thing? To quote your own comment, it's not that hard for them. Seems like taking basic responsibility for yourself if becoming a rarity.
Workers on a highway crews are seldom close to their cars or lunchboxes. Sometimes they are miles away. Where do you suggest the carry this thermos in the 100 degree heat?

Old 08-24-2021, 11:11 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Republicans are funny. They believe in weak centralized government and more local control, unless local government enact laws to protect labor. Funny how that works.
no. Republicans believe that government has a limited role
that where government has a role, it does so with the least amount of impact to liberty possible.

Where radicals at any level attempt fascist acts, one role of government is to stop the fascists. In this case, the State government is insuring that local government does not overstep its bounds.

Old 08-24-2021, 11:14 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtheblack View Post
But isn’t that what Republicans are doing with their attempt to build Trump’s border wall with funds redirected from the state’s transportation budget? Immigration enforcement is a federal responsibility. Why are Republicans trying to supersede federal law?
Immigration authority *is* federal law. States are free to give surplus funds back to the federal government if they desire.

Old 08-24-2021, 11:18 AM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
We have state and federal laws that protect workers and ensure proper rest periods. All the State of Texas is attempting here is to prevent cities from gaining the power to supersede existing state and federal employment laws with their own regulations. Cities should not have the freedom to dictate employment law for private employers.
This is what I sort of figured. I was too lazy to dive into the details, but the premise of the thread sounded a bit loaded and it turns out it was. I don't think anyone of good faith expects people to work in the hot sun without water breaks. Even the meany Republicans.

Like you mentioned there are laws in place protecting employees etc etc.

Old 08-24-2021, 11:20 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,511,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
This is what I sort of figured. I was too lazy to dive into the details, but the premise of the thread sounded a bit loaded and it turns out it was. I don't think anyone of good faith expects people to work in the hot sun without water breaks. Even the meany Republicans.

Like you mentioned there are laws in place protecting employees etc etc.
Just imagine the cluster of repercussions if cities/counties/states were allowed to create their own employment laws. We’d cease to function.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies