Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 06:55 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,249,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
A Texan running for office in Georgia. Interesting.
He may live in Texas now but he's a born and bred Georgian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 06:59 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,310,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
He's probably going to lose because he lives in Texas. He's been gone from Georgia for way too long.

All his competitors will use this against him and it will be successful. He can't refute it. He left Georgia around 1983, it seems.

Old 08-24-2021, 06:59 PM

930 posts, read 334,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Hillary did it when she ran for NY Senate. She had no connection to NY at the time. I don't recall a lot of complaints from Democrats. Walker at least is originally from GA.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:03 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Awesome. Go Herschel!

Old 08-24-2021, 07:03 PM

900 posts, read 375,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
He's probably going to lose because he lives in Texas. He's been gone from Georgia for way too long.

All his competitors will use this against him and it will be successful. He can't refute it.
Yeah... the Republicans know that... his choice is just because he's the black Republican guy who's going to run against the black Democrat guy... they don't even believe in that victory.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:04 PM

1,768 posts, read 717,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t. raleigh fingers View Post
Hillary did it when she ran for NY Senate. She had no connection to NY at the time. I don't recall a lot of complaints from Democrats. Walker at least is originally from GA.
Add in Romney and Utah.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:38 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Why does anyone think this would be an automatic win for him.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:42 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
"ending intense speculation about whether he’d move from his home in Texas to Georgia to run for the office."

If he cared about Georgia he'd already be living there. I'd jump all over that if I was his opponent.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:01 PM

4,033 posts, read 2,719,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezo View Post
Add in Romney and Utah.

Yeah, but it could be argued that even if Romney wasn't *from* Utah (he'd gone to college there, and that was it), *culturally*, he has a lot in common with them, since Utah is very much a stronghold for the LDS, and always has been, and Romney has been a devout Mormon his entire life. So in terms of core beliefs, he fit in perfectly.

I don't know that the same could be said for Walker, since he hasn't lived in Georgia since 1983. That's almost 40 years, and the Georgia of 1983 is not the Georgia of 2021. It'd be like me moving back to my hometown and running for the Congressional seat there--I haven't lived there since 1988, I'm sure a lot of folks would say, "Well, nice to have you back Indigo, but you've been gone over 30 years, you really don't understand what's going on around here anymore." (And honestly, I don't know that I'd fit in the area so much any more after all this time.)

Granted, there is Hillary Clinton having no personal connections to New York State and establishing residency after she decided to run, and ultimately winning, so who knows? But I do remember there was a *lot* of criticism (which, quite frankly, I felt was deserved) for her running for Senate in a state that she'd never lived in. (One comment I remember hearing was "It's like carpetbagging in reverse.")

Though personally, I think it's kinda....'eh'....to move to a state just to run for Senate. I don't think you should have to be a lifelong resident of the state, but it seems to me that you should have to live there for some span of time *before* you run.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:55 PM

17,642 posts, read 6,923,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andtheblack View Post
This is the best news I’ve heard all day. Pretty much ensures Dr. Warnock will be re-elected. I was concerned the Republicans would run a serious person, but as it turns out, they had no such plans.
Unfortunately for you, the Democrats aren’t going to be able to successfully cheat in GA in 2022 like they did in 2020.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies