Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2021, 09:55 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Republicans seemed to have found the winning formula: Make it difficult for those who support the other side to vote. Gerrymander legislative districts locally and nationally to ensure Republicans will be elected. In some states they have even gone so far as to have their gerrymandered legislatures declare that they, not the vote totals, will determine the outcome of elections. Finally, have a highly partisan Supreme Court so that all of the above assaults on the constitution will be ignored.

We are in for a protracted period of minority rule in this supposed democracy.
I'm not sure. Extremist Republicans may have so much success getting their agenda passed that it may turn off enough moderate Republicans to vote against them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 09:56 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
What is going on now is Americans are sorting themselves into camps by moving. Where I live in Tennessee almost all the new residents seem to be people who are conservative that are escaping New York, California, Illinois and Michigan. Seems no one wants to live in these places anymore. California was once the American dream.
What part of Tn are you in?

I lived in Nashville suburbs 1997-2014, only in Northeast a few years as older family is fading away. It was wonderful in Tn-will retire there next decade, for sure.

I was a Ct escapee, as was my deceased brother-in-law/sisters family. They now have adult grandkids in Florida & Missouri, btw.

Old 09-06-2021, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
30 years ago only Democrats were elected in Missouri. Now it is all Republican.
That was because Democrats believed in government welfare and more of it, whether it's for a worthless deadbeat, or not. As many people believe in Missouri, if you don't work, you can't eat.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
That's for sure. As one who fled that hell hole. I had the unfortunate experience of spending the greater part of my life there. Getting out was the most liberating experience of my life.
And now you swelter in Arizona wondering how much longer in this long drought the water supply will hold out before your town has to start trucking in bottled water around the clock. Liberal or conservative, you can't win for losing.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Excellent responce!!!

So are the people who vote for, defend and support them.
What part of Az are you in? Best friends in Scottsdale-an area I love, considered moving to long ago.

Paradise Valley is the fitting name for the region.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:13 PM

1,517 posts, read 541,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Republicans seemed to have found the winning formula: Make it difficult for those who support the other side to vote. Gerrymander legislative districts locally and nationally to ensure Republicans will be elected. In some states they have even gone so far as to have their gerrymandered legislatures declare that they, not the vote totals, will determine the outcome of elections. Finally, have a highly partisan Supreme Court so that all of the above assaults on the constitution will be ignored.

We are in for a protracted period of minority rule in this supposed democracy.

You are right in many regards but the Republicans did not recently find the winning formula, they developed the formula over the last several decades. Republicans are much more astute when it comes to local elections, they emphasized the importance of local elections because control of the state gives them control of congress. Republicans are years ahead in terms of think tanks and national election strategy, the R's are playing chess and the D's are playing checkers. Thus the minority party rules.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasrollingstone View Post
You are right in many regards but the Republicans did not recently find the winning formula, they developed the formula over the last several decades. Republicans are much more astute when it comes to local elections, they emphasized the importance of local elections because control of the state gives them control of congress. Republicans are years ahead in terms of think tanks and national election strategy, the R's are playing chess and the D's are playing checkers. Thus the minority party rules.
Republicans pay attention to local needs superbly, plus usually manage in an efficient way which minimizes size of government, and therefore taxation charged.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
What is going on now is Americans are sorting themselves into camps by moving. Where I live in Tennessee almost all the new residents seem to be people who are conservative that are escaping New York, California, Illinois and Michigan. Seems no one wants to live in these places anymore. California was once the American dream. New York was the place to be and Detroit Michigan was a shining new boomtown building Henry Fords dream. Why does no one want to live in these once desirable places? Leftists ruined these places that is why. People are voting with their feet. I believe many blue states are getting bluer as conservatives flee them and red states getting redder as defectors arrive from blue states. This is all part of the lead up to the official breakup of the United States. All of this moving for political reasons is a sign of a very sick and dying republic. No one used to move simply because of politics. Moving across the nation for political reasons is major deal, people do not do it flippantly.
I don't see it that way at all. People want to move where the good, higher paying jobs are, not primarily for political reasons. In the red states, like Oklahoma, the rural counties are becoming redder simply because the not so red young people want to flee from them for better paying jobs in the big metros, such as Oklahoma City and Tulsa. As a result, Trump just barely won in Oklahoma County where the state's biggest city is, Oklahoma City.

Rural counties in America tend to be quite backward and on the economic decline with a lot of bright, ambitious young people wanting to get the hell out of them. In Oklahoma, most rural counties wanted nothing to do with legalized medical marijuana and quite strongly opposed it. But the heavy urban vote forced it upon them with urban Republicans unwilling to make rural counties an exception. The majority vote of the people had to be respected. As a result, the conflict in America is really rural vs urban. It isn't blue states vs red states. Further more, almost every single one of the rural counties in Oklahoma opposed extended Medicare as offered by ObamaCare. But once again the heavy urban vote overruled them.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I don't see it that way at all. People want to move where the good, higher paying jobs are, not primarily for political reasons. In the red states, like Oklahoma, the rural counties are becoming redder simply because the not so red young people want to flee from them for better paying jobs in the big metros, such as Oklahoma City and Tulsa. As a result, Trump just barely won in Oklahoma County where the state's biggest city is, Oklahoma City.

Red states gain every census in EC votes, blue states lose, which per your post indicates red states add good higher paying jobs, while, in aggregate (net), blue states lose them.

Government cost control aids in adding good high paying jobs btw. Blue states tend to fare badly in Business Friendly state rankings.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Red states gain every census in EC votes, blue states lose, which per your post indicates red states add good higher paying jobs, while, in aggregate (net), blue states lose them.

Government cost control aids in adding good high paying jobs btw. Blue states tend to fare badly in Business Friendly state rankings.
But I don't expect metros in Red States to become any more Republican than they currently are. Sooner or later they will finally overwhelm the huge red vote in the declining red counties.

Would you love to live in the Oklahoma red county that got the most Trump votes to the tune of 92%? It's in the county with the fewest number of people. It's so pitifully small that there is no Wal-Mart in that county. Needless to say, it's been declining in population, hardly over 2000. I'd have to be paid million$ to move in with those isolated Trump loving people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies