Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 10:11 AM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Entitlement. Never being taught when they were a child how to carry themselves respectfully in public.
I'd probably add narcissism to the list too I think. We've churned out over the last couple of decades people that are way way more narcissistic and self-centered and think the world revolves around them than any other time in our history.

I think that there is a few factors at work and I also think that social media most certainly hasn't helped. No, no one really cares that you just got back from the mall and made a Starbucks run.

So many people on FB and other places update with the most boring stuff. I've got one FB friend that does this all of the time. I'm about ready to put them on block, don't wanna be rude, but damn, bored of it. People don't need to be updated every two three hours with your latest crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 10:11 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,594,869 times
I would be more concerned with someone being too fat to fly, blocking the aisle.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:16 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Dude, this man was repulsive. His breath was like a combination of sauerkraut and Jonny Walker dipped into used chewing tobacco and topped with stale coffee. On top of that, his body odor was off the charts. I really had to reach deep into my bag of politeness to not say anything rude to him.
You lasted longer in your seat than I would have. Just reading your description is making me gag.

Lucky for you they had a spare seat!

Old 09-07-2021, 10:18 AM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
Dude, this man was repulsive. His breath was like a combination of sauerkraut and Jonny Walker dipped into used chewing tobacco and topped with stale coffee. On top of that, his body odor was off the charts. I really had to reach deep into my bag of politeness to not say anything rude to him.
Whew!!

I was grossed out on your first post, this little descriptive gem is making my stomach lurch.

I was working in a loud environment one time and I was talking to this old guy on the project. He's leaning in to me talking at me because it was so loud and his breath was the most horrid thing I've smelled in a long time. He finally turns away and my god, I almost barfed. I'm not kidding here. If he would have kept it up for another few more seconds I would have literally threw up right then and there. I don't know if it was his dentures or coming from his gut, but damn, breath that bad you need to get your ass to a doctor and see if there's something more going on with your health.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:25 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,512,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You lasted longer in your seat than I would have. Just reading your description is making me gag.

Lucky for you they had a spare seat!
I was raised to be tactful and let the little things go. And I tried on that flight. Oh lord I tried. In the end, keeping my cool scored me an upgrade into Business. And that’s not the first time that being kind and gentle with an FA scored me an upgrade. It happened on a British Airways flight from Austin to London; their entertainment system had a major malfunction and several seats including my husband’s lost use of it. A few people resorted to loud meltdowns, while my husband remained calm and polite. An FA came to us, bent down, and whispered for my husband to please come with her. I figured she was just giving him some drink coupons or flight miles. But then she came to me and quietly asked me to come with her. She led me to a pod in First Class, where my husband was already stretched out and smiling. She asked us to lay low and stay out of the section we’d been sitting in - she even went and retrieved all our stuff from our previous seats. We enjoyed that Transatlantic flight like rockstars … all for the price of not being aholes.

It really can pay off to be nice, polite, and tactful. Especially to overworked and underpaid flight attendants.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I was raised to be tactful and let the little things go. And I tried on that flight. Oh lord I tried. In the end, keeping my cool scored me an upgrade into Business. And that’s not the first time that being kind and gentle with an FA scored me an upgrade. It happened on a British Airways flight from Austin to London; their entertainment system had a major malfunction and several seats including my husband’s lost use of it. A few people resorted to loud meltdowns, while my husband remained calm and polite. An FA came to us, bent down, and whispered for my husband to please come with her. I figured she was just giving him some drink coupons or flight miles. But then she came to me and quietly asked me to come with her. She led me to a pod in First Class, where my husband was already stretched out and smiling. She asked us to lay low and stay out of the section we’d been sitting in - she even went and retrieved all our stuff from our previous seats. We enjoyed that Transatlantic flight like rockstars … all for the price of not being aholes.

It really can pay off to be nice, polite, and tactful.
I completely agree with you. I hate when people take things out on folks just trying to do their jobs. Be nice and state your case calmly. Great upgrade!

Old 09-07-2021, 10:32 AM

29,510 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'd probably add narcissism to the list too I think. We've churned out over the last couple of decades people that are way way more narcissistic and self-centered and think the world revolves around them than any other time in our history.

I think that there is a few factors at work and I also think that social media most certainly hasn't helped. No, no one really cares that you just got back from the mall and made a Starbucks run.

So many people on FB and other places update with the most boring stuff. I've got one FB friend that does this all of the time. I'm about ready to put them on block, don't wanna be rude, but damn, bored of it. People don't need to be updated every two three hours with your latest crap.
Agreed. Another thing we can thank social media for.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:33 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,512,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I completely agree with you. I hate when people take things out on folks just trying to do their jobs. Be nice and state your case calmly. Great upgrade!
I’m a world where people scream and yell when they don’t get their way, why not be the monk?

Old 09-07-2021, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I’m a world where people scream and yell when they don’t get their way, why not be the monk?
Always. I've even intervened and de-escalated situations when I'm not involved. Bullies love yelling at women and young people, as though they were the ones responsible for incorrect pricing at the register or items going off sale the day before.

Be the monk. Great saying. Like 'Be the change you want to see in the world.' (NOT said by Gandhi.)

Old 09-07-2021, 10:50 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,923,440 times
Quote:

It really can pay off to be nice, polite, and tactful. Especially to overworked and underpaid flight attendants.
I wish it paid off for me . Where my seat was, there was a drip coming from the overhead right into my coffee, I checked and someone’s lotion spilled out of someone’s bag. The FA gave me a roll of paper towels and I cleaned it all out, another passenger gave me his bottle water to use to clean. I just got offered a free snack box. Yes, I thanked her with a smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies