Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 10:06 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times

Advertisements

Well since only a few stores removed the knives it really isn't much different than our own Walmart and Dick's Sporting Goods taking "scary guns" off their shelves in an attempt to appeal to their PC customers.

As others mentioned a pointed stick can really do some damage to someone. Of course when it comes to the deranged there is nothing like a car driven onto a busy sidewalk to leave their mark. Of course for those that are bent on utter destruction there is a book of matches to set an entire forest on fire.

NZ as well as our own "Do Gooders" are missing the mark. The threat is not the inanimate object but the unstable person that uses it as a weapon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 10:48 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,967,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Is that why New Zealand is ranked top 10 in quality of life while the US is not top 15?
Is that why New Zealand is ranked higher than the US in human development index?

Is that why New Zealand ranks higher than the US in education, health, and crime?
Is that why New Zealand ranks 7th on the prosperity index while the US ranks 18th?

Is that why New Zealand is 10th in personal freedom while the US is 22nd?

As far as I recall, New Zealanders aren't shooting, stabbing, and beating the hell out of each other in airplanes, stores, and on the street over simple masks. New Zealanders are not having mental breakdowns to the point where people are going viral everyday.

No one cares that you dont want to live in New Zealand. I dont want to live there either - because it is extremely isolated from my family, not as diverse, and would be a culture shock. I do not care about New Zealands politics, but I can recognize they are a well run country.

You can s--- talk them all you want and call them nannies or sheep or sellouts or whatever you feel like coming up with, but your bizarre personal annoyance towards NZ doesn't change the reality that they have handled this better and are doing better. The inferiority complex here against New Zealand is very strange. They literally are harmless to you.

And NZ could get by just fine without us. Dont act like we're doing them favors. We are not their biggest trade partner and what they get from us they can get elsewhere. Thankfully, most normal Americans dont have a problem with NZ.
Blaaaaaaah blaaaaaaaaaaah blaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

If I only had a nickel for every time a liberal said another country "Ranks higher" (because the "experts" say so) than the USA I'd be a very rich person.

If you go by what geeks who write "rankings" think, instead of your own common sense, then I can't help you. You can find "rankings" that say anything you want.

I don't have a personal annoyance with NZ, I have a personal annoyance with apologists for "extreme protection nanny states" and those who want to implement then here, in the best country on Earth.

And by the way: NZ DOES need the USA. They'd be an afternoon project for a country like Russia or China if they knew the USA wasn't behind them. Don't kid yourself.

The Chinese could send someone in to cough on them and they would lock down for 3 months. Fight a war? HAHA right!

Old 09-07-2021, 11:01 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,527 times
Why are people still going to supermarkets in New Zealand? Don't they know about Covid? They should have drones drop shipping supplies to all the people. If they just locked up everyone, they could have zero covid and zero knife attacks. Somebody please tell Jacinda.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:09 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,510,294 times
Quote:
1. I'm not a liberal
2. These rankings do not come from "geeks" with blogs, they come from respected global data organizations.

3. The point is not who is better. Life is easier for some people in NZ. Life is easier for some people in the US. It's subjective. The point is clearly for all of NZ's "idiocy" it is doing quite well, better than the US in many areas.

4. I'm sorry if egos cannot handle that the United States is not God's greatest gift to mankind on the planet.
4b. I'm surprised this even triggers people considering how much you all have been s--- talking your own country on this forum and saying how its gone downhill and is headed for Civil War. There is no such sentiment in NZ.

5. NZ is not a nanny state. For starters, a nanny state is not an actual thing, it is a right-wing theory. And your thread was already disproven from the jump. In the theory of a nanny state, it is about government. The government did nothing here, it was a supermarket chain. It was a temporary measure.
5b. If New Zealand had actually banned knives - without input from NZ cities, then I'd see your point and I would give you and your thread credit - even though that still wouldnt be a literal nanny state.

6. No they dont. This is just more NZ inferiority complex.
7. Most countries dont have a beefed up military. The US does because that is where the plurality of the budget goes. NZ could have a stronger military if they felt it was necessary. They do not.

8. More Chinese/Russia boogeyman talking points...okay. That's nice. Have a good one.
Bless your little heart. You’re working so very hard here.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:11 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracord View Post
I think New Zealand has officially taken over as the top Nanny State in the free world.

Holy crap.

This is the same country that goes into national lockdown if ONE CASE of China Virus is found. They are the same country that basically stripped all gun rights from its people after the mass shooting a couple years ago.

I guess the freedom of their citizens depends on the whims of rogue states like China releasing viruses or nutcases stabbing or shooting people?

Surely even the liberals and staunchest supporters of government crackdowns on freedoms here understand that this is ridiculous?

https://thehill.com/policy/internati...fter-terrorist
that will fix things

Old 09-07-2021, 11:17 AM

2,953 posts, read 993,758 times
Quote:
I didn't say it didnt. Obviously being isolated helps. BUT, New Zealand also has an "us" not "me" culture. Their initial 2020 lockdowns were much more strict than the US. They closed fast food and grocery stores. And guess what? New Zealanders did not whine about it. They stocked up ahead of time and rode it out. That is the biggest reason they have gotten the virus controlled, because of their attitudes towards it.

It doesn't matter than the US share a land border with 2 other countries. If we had the same attitude, we would be in the same boat.

But that doesn't matter here. Yet, what does it any of it have to do with knives? Which you can still buy in the country? Nothing really.
I love how you assert what you think is an obvious and universally agreed upon state of goodness, i.e. that they have an "us" vs "me" culture like that's an indictment of us. You double down with "And guess what? New Zealanders did not whine about it." referring to the retarded closure of fast food and grocery stores. Something that "the science" does not support as necessary.

You're a collectivist and of course to you this is the only morally acceptable pov. So blindered and classically common among prog/collectivists. No, sublimating our freedoms in the interest of some notion-du-jour of public safety is not an unalloyed "good". It's downright stupid and guess what - "muh freedoms" as you so condescendingly refer to are in fact more important than your definition of the collectivist good. They are for you too but you're so deeply entrenched in a comfy herd mentality that you can't see it.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:23 AM

2,953 posts, read 993,758 times
Quote:
1. I'm not a liberal
Collectivist
Contemptuous of people who prioritize personal freedoms over collectivist joinerism.
Defensive about anti Russian/Chinese statements
Pro-lockdowns and other govt "emergency measures".

Agreed. Calling you a liberal is an insult to liberals.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:24 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,687,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
New Zealand can live well because they have countries like the U.S. watching out for them. If there was not a western power like the U.S. keeping the world safe, a China, Russia, Pakistan, North Korea, or even an Indonesia can just walk right in, take over, annexing them and there wouldn’t be anything they can do about it.

The New Zealand’s of the world are like sheep. We are the sheep dog. If not for us, the wolves and bears would pick them off one by one until there was none left.

Another reason why it’s important to have a strong military, something the Left wants to weaken and get rid of altogether if they had their (misguided) way.
No, it's just a size thing -the US has a large population and is well resourced, while NZ isn't.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:26 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,967,178 times
"Collectivism" has been the downfall of many a society.

It is against human nature and breeds corruption.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Way to distract from the point. The point is the thread title, like most of them in this forum, is dishonest. The New Zealand government did not remove or ban knives. A supermarket removed them, and - it is a temporary measure. You can still buy a knife in New Zealand.

And yes I did. Coming from people who actually live in New Zealand, their lockdowns have been quick and swift, and they have worked. Americans think everyone else in the world is wrong if they dont think like us and do what we think they should do. New Zealand does not care what we think.

New Zealand is not interested in the political debates. Any sign of the virus, they squash it. And now they have actual "freedom" and are functioning closer to how they did pre-virus. Not sure why that's such a point of contention. We are jealous I guess, but it's our own fault.
Thanks. You beat me to it.

Retailers have the FREEDOM to put anything they choose under lock and key, most everywhere.

As you know, NZ is an island with a population of about 5 million people.

As I understand it, one recent Aussie visitor tested positive and the government shut down the country and the majority of the population seems to get this is the best way to nip it in the bud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies