Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 08:23 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,921,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Looks like that’s how they’re seeing it. He packed them up, unharmed. I believe the college Republicans have them. His taking them down was an equal act of free speech as the group who put them in the ground.
The proper way to handle his offended self was to take his complaint to proper authority. Sorry those who set them up has rights too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I completely and totally get that, as we all do. It’s raw. It’s also raw for him, how many of his culture were killed post 9/11 as a backlash
He is also apart of our culture and why is he living here if he’s that upset?

Old 09-12-2021, 08:29 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,679,394 times
Let’s calm down folks, it’s not like he stole a BLM flag or anything. If it were BLM flags I assume he’d get 14885 months in prison, 2977 flags x 5 months per flag. He’d probably get some extra charges for terrorism and hate crimes. Luckily, it was only American flags, whew!!

Old 09-12-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
He didn’t steal them. He picked them up. You’re not giving this guy credit for knowing exactly what he was doing. He’s not being charged.
Would you feel the same way about someone stealing BLM flags?

ETA: I didn’t see the above post till after I posted

Old 09-12-2021, 08:35 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,239,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
See post #46. We are approaching this from way different frames of mind which at the core don’t actually have much to do with hair. I don’t think either of us are wrong or right, but there’s a definite perspective gap.
I get that not every man that puts his hair in a bun is an effeminate leftist, but stereotypes exist for a reason. 90% of the so-called men I have seen that wear man buns (literal buns of hair on top of their head) are effeminate leftists millennials that wear skinny jeans and couldn't change their own tire or clean a fish.

I have a fishing buddy Jose, wears his hair in a damn bun every time we hang out. And I give him hell about it. And he gives me hell about White man stereotypes. It is a beautiful friendship.

But he can still change a tire and clean fish. This punk that desecrated a 9/11 memorial is the typical boy bun liberal.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:42 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Would you feel the same way about someone stealing BLM flags?

ETA: I didn’t see the above post till after I posted
100% I would feel the same way.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:43 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,747,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I understand that you like the mental gymnastics of it - the "display," the "opposing voice" and the rest of the show - the way you perceive it apparently.

And I understand that this middle easterner has his own agenda to push.

But here is the thing; he can leave the people that commemorate the death of their compatriots alone, and to take his agenda elsewhere instead.

That's what the civilized people do.
Although I don’t really follow the prevailing opinion on this thread, I do agree that something about this goes beyond a simple protest. He’s what my Ma would call a “S*** disturber”. Someone who goes beyond delivering a message into pushing buttons which make his cause even less amenable to the people whose attention he is trying to grab.

That said, a few comments.

Were I the University president, I would instantly suspend this young man, mostly as a pretext for, and buying time to, getting a reason to boot him out of my institution. Protest like a normal person, don’t stab and twist a knife like that.

Were I instead the local DA, my understanding is that someone would have to want to press charges (correct me if I’m wrong). It wouldn’t be hard to find multiple ones to charge him with. However, I think the law-and-order types disregard how bad a felony conviction can be for someone even after release - it’s a life sentence of its own. I’d then go out of my way to keep any felony charges off the table.

And a third thing: I’ve already talked about the hair, which I just don’t get as a part of this. But then we bring up middle easterners, etc...aside from encroaching on some race things, I don’t remember any Islamists wearing man buns, so to me, putting his potential ethnicity and hairstyle side-by-side, all I see is a dumb kid who in all likelihood isn’t on an Islamist path. The inferences made about some middle eastern origin probably have more to do with the general atmosphere of Islamophobia here than any real desire to wage jihad against the “evil and imperialist west”.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:56 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,747,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
I get that not every man that puts his hair in a bun is an effeminate leftist, but stereotypes exist for a reason. 90% of the so-called men I have seen that wear man buns (literal buns of hair on top of their head) are effeminate leftists millennials that wear skinny jeans and couldn't change their own tire or clean a fish.

I have a fishing buddy Jose, wears his hair in a damn bun every time we hang out. And I give him hell about it. And he gives me hell about White man stereotypes. It is a beautiful friendship.

But he can still change a tire and clean fish. This punk that desecrated a 9/11 memorial is the typical boy bun liberal.
In an ideal world, I would hope we would operate more like your anecdote (my Latina wife and I (whitey) freely trade horrible race barbs which we wouldn’t share publicly) than on those stereotypes. And yeah, I probably got a few funny looks running a 1911 out on the range under my man bun, but I’ve met and worked with more than a few guys who were “real” men who wore man buns, many of whom were truckers or ripped gym rats or running forklifts, etc., traditionally manly stuff, and like myself it’s mostly donned because of the expediency when you have long hair. It didn’t correlate that well with politics, it ran the gamut and was a poor predictor of your values/beliefs/politics/whatever. But that’s just my opinion, and we know just how much opinions are worth

Ask any nearby woman why she wears her hair similarly.

Old 09-12-2021, 08:57 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,561,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Although I don’t really follow the prevailing opinion on this thread, I do agree that something about this goes beyond a simple protest. He’s what my Ma would call a “S*** disturber”. Someone who goes beyond delivering a message into pushing buttons which make his cause even less amenable to the people whose attention he is trying to grab.

That said, a few comments.

Were I the University president, I would instantly suspend this young man, mostly as a pretext for, and buying time to, getting a reason to boot him out of my institution. Protest like a normal person, don’t stab and twist a knife like that.

Were I instead the local DA, my understanding is that someone would have to want to press charges (correct me if I’m wrong). It wouldn’t be hard to find multiple ones to charge him with. However, I think the law-and-order types disregard how bad a felony conviction can be for someone even after release - it’s a life sentence of its own. I’d then go out of my way to keep any felony charges off the table.

And a third thing: I’ve already talked about the hair, which I just don’t get as a part of this. But then we bring up middle easterners, etc...aside from encroaching on some race things, I don’t remember any Islamists wearing man buns, so to me, putting his potential ethnicity and hairstyle side-by-side, all I see is a dumb kid who in all likelihood isn’t on an Islamist path. The inferences made about some middle eastern origin probably have more to do with the general atmosphere of Islamophobia here than any real desire to wage jihad against the “evil and imperialist west”.

That is correct, it's not usually their custom to wear "man buns."
It was initially the OP's assumption that it was some typical "lefty" involved, so the "man bun" was a reference to that. Just to add a "finishing touch" to a proverbial "portrait."
But in reality, it's not a "man bun" wearing "lefty," but a young middle easterner.

A middle easterner, that has his own agenda to peddle.

"Since 9/11 Islamophobic hate crimes have been higher than they ever were before.
The United States invaded countries in the Middle East and Central Asia, and over 900,000 people have been killed because of the wars the United States have propagated."

That's his statement, that's his agenda.

You can read the rest here.

That's why I've said that he needed to leave the people commemorating those deaths alone, and to bring his agenda ( to organize actions) elsewhere if he wished.

As civilized people do.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:01 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
The whole thing was childish. Thousands of lives were lost on 9/11. You don't remove a little memorial that people put up on the 20th anniversary of the most horrific attack on our country in modern times. Do something else if you feel Muslims are being unfairly attacked.

He acted like a child who didn't get his way so he knocked down the sand castle. Grow the hell up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies