Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2021, 09:03 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
That is correct, it's not usually their custom to wear "man buns."
It was initially the OP's assumption that it was some typical "lefty" involved, so the "man bun" was a reference to that. Just to add a "finishing touch" to a proverbial "portrait."
But in reality, it's not a "man bun" wearing "lefty," but a young middle easterner.

A middle easterner, that has his own agenda to peddle.

"Since 9/11 Islamophobic hate crimes have been higher than they ever were before.
The United States invaded countries in the Middle East and Central Asia, and over 900,000 people have been killed because of the wars the United States have propagated."

That's his statement, that's his agenda.

You can read the rest here.

That's why I've said that he needed to leave the people commemorating those deaths alone, and to bring his agenda ( to organize actions) elsewhere if he wished.

As civilized people do.
And isn't it coincidental with students in another university talking about how we should remove the blame when talking about 9/11? It's like they're all reading from the same play book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 09:20 PM

10,034 posts, read 9,512,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This is very nuanced. This display was put there by a university club, on public property, and he didn’t damage anything. The fact that the cops kept him away the night before I’m not sure Is material. He certainly seems to know his stuff if you read more recent articles about the incident.
Certainly creates a bad precedent if the College doesn’t take action and reprimand him. If he was allowed to pick up and hold on to someone else’s property in a bag and move it to a location of his choosing, what is stopping a counter protestor from dismantling an organizations booth set up. You know like unscrew everything and tossing it in a box.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:24 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,750,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
That is correct, it's not usually their custom to wear "man buns."
It was initially the OP's assumption that it was some typical "lefty" involved, so the "man bun" was a reference to that. Just to add a "finishing touch" to a proverbial "portrait."
But in reality, it's not a "man bun" wearing "lefty," but a young middle easterner.

A middle easterner, that has his own agenda to peddle.

"Since 9/11 Islamophobic hate crimes have been higher than they ever were before.
The United States invaded countries in the Middle East and Central Asia, and over 900,000 people have been killed because of the wars the United States have propagated."

That's his statement, that's his agenda.

You can read the rest here.

That's why I've said that he needed to leave the people commemorating those deaths alone, and to bring his agenda ( to organize actions) elsewhere if he wished.

As civilized people do.
We actually agree quite a bit. He went beyond protest. I don’t know where the 900k number he claimed came from, but I definitely think that he has a point. Add to that what I think is an actual sense of islamophobia, and call me crazy, but I kinda get it.

That point should have been registered by writing legislators, protesting, etc., rather than plucking all the wrong heartstrings. Don’t disturb a solemn marker of an event. He’s a kid, I don’t think he really even understood how badly that would backfire. He probably thought it would be a shot heard around the world and just instantly wake everybody up. Wrong! You don’t approach a valid cause by insulting a lot of your potential allies.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:45 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,239,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
In an ideal world, I would hope we would operate more like your anecdote (my Latina wife and I (whitey) freely trade horrible race barbs which we wouldn’t share publicly) than on those stereotypes. And yeah, I probably got a few funny looks running a 1911 out on the range under my man bun, but I’ve met and worked with more than a few guys who were “real” men who wore man buns, many of whom were truckers or ripped gym rats or running forklifts, etc., traditionally manly stuff, and like myself it’s mostly donned because of the expediency when you have long hair. It didn’t correlate that well with politics, it ran the gamut and was a poor predictor of your values/beliefs/politics/whatever. But that’s just my opinion, and we know just how much opinions are worth

Ask any nearby woman why she wears her hair similarly.
Interesting….

I’ve never seen my wife wear a bun, but when she breaks out the ponytail I know that I’m going to have a good night.

Last edited by Mad_Jasper; 09-12-2021 at 10:15 PM..

Old 09-12-2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Interesting….
I agree. Who typically wears long hair, and has experience in managing it?

Once upon a time, hair was just hair and before the idea of cutting it came along, there was no gendered hair thing.

I’m sure you’ve seen Vietnam vets with long hair. My Pa was one until his cancer, chalk him up as a long-haired Trump guy.

In my world, I’ve seen women with short hair who are lesbians, and who are straight, some who do it for convenience and some who are just in the punk scene and are more anarchist. I’ve seen guys of all stripes whose hair lengths don’t correlate with politics.

I’m sorry this hair thing has become such a kerfuffle. My point is that the hair isn’t such a sure bet, at least not the way it used to be, and that in today’s world it’s not a reliable predictor for any kind of beliefs. I’m going to just leave it at that.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:23 PM

4,511 posts, read 1,866,083 times
Quote:
What role did the hair play?
It’s just a friendly reminder of how to spot a traitorous enemy to America, otherwise known as a biden voter

Old 09-12-2021, 10:24 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Quote:
Just real life stuff. If you encounter enough people that look a certain way, you form an opinion. It is called life experiences. When you get over 50 you start realizing you encounter so much crap you can spot it. Sure every once in a while you are wrong, but rarely.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
It’s just a friendly reminder of how to spot a traitorous enemy to America, otherwise known as a biden voter
LMFAO. I again point you to post #46 and subsequent posts by myself in this thread.

The hair angle is just weird to me. But then again, I’ve only done a half million miles here in the lower 48 driving trucks, or been in the buckle of the Bible Belt for 16 years seeing how it has changed, so I guess I haven’t seen that many people from that many places or that many changes.

I also wonder how it is that I managed to sport one for reasons stated in post #46 while being ...not a traitor, and kind of a traditional man, maintaining my car, enjoying shooting sports, attending concerts and festivals, taking care of a family which she and I made the traditional way...hmm, my man bun must surely have been a sign of failure. And all those other dudes with man buns must also surely be a real failure. You might not expect that I am gathering scarce ammo to get out to the range, that I’m gathering parts and tools to change my timing belt and adjust valve lash, or that I’m gunning for a promotion at work.

As to voting, I haven’t made a major party vote for president since 2008. They suck.

I guess I should mention some things which support your assertion. Flags are just cloth to me. Printed cloth doesn’t mean anything, and it’s arbitrary and ethereal, as are nations and borders. History teaches you that. It would only take one fluke for Hitler to have had our flag and us to adopt the red, white and swastika. They’re symbols, not idols. The important part is what’s behind the people you’re surrounded by in terms of beliefs and ethics, which is certainly less arbitrary and ethereal than a flag. In all honesty, the pledge of allegiance could be shortened to “I pledge allegiance to liberty and justice for all”. I’m bisexual, and not that beholden to gender roles or rules, so there’s some small bit for why the man bun thing is weird. And generally speaking, I can’t crack the code for fashion vs politics. That might have been a thing when I was a kid and didn’t know; but it certainly isn’t a thing now. Lastly, as a non-interventionist, I think we kind of asked for *******s like these the moment we invaded Afghanistan and Iraq. We made “not our business” into “totally our business”, pissed people off, then more or less failed in a non-shocking turn of events, and wonder why people think we suck.

John Quincy Adams had some sage words on why we should not find foreign monsters to pursue. The longer we try to globally flex, the more I feel he was right.

People are complex and often weird. My own hair wasn’t connected to politics, nor did it necessarily correlate. I’ve found that outside of politics junkies, that’s pretty typical. You can’t really judge things by appearance, and even if you nail one part, you fail to correctly judge the whole human.

Last edited by jcp123; 09-12-2021 at 11:26 PM..

Old 09-13-2021, 02:24 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,255,257 times
Never trust the man-bun..

Old 09-13-2021, 03:05 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Identifies him as a toxic, Woke, hipster IDIOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies