Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 09:43 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,589,005 times

Advertisements

Glad I got to see the Stones back in the day....

Now, I gotta say I'm not a fan of geriatric rock and roll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 09:51 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,964,873 times
This song has been off their set list for decades. It was written for Angela Davis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atnvJG6zJLc

Old 10-14-2021, 09:52 AM

3,332 posts, read 1,965,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Democrats sure do have a lot of free time on their hands these days. "Its Wednesday, lets see what 50 year old song we can cancel"

And the song was actually about HEROIN. Most songs back then were about some kind of drug. Mr. tamborine man for instance
The title is a slang term for unrefined heroin but that's not what the song is about.
You would be stunned and amazed by the original lyrics and working title.

Old 10-14-2021, 09:53 AM

11,223 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Democrats sure do have a lot of free time on their hands these days. "Its Wednesday, lets see what 50 year old song we can cancel"

And the song was actually about HEROIN. Most songs back then were about some kind of drug. Mr. tamborine man for instance
1. The Stones are British. Hone up on your talking points Dorian. They are not Democrats. LOL
2. It is not about Heroin. Read the book, it's about black prostitutes in the South (Sold in a market down in New Orleans....) Keith describes EXACTLY what it's about.

The Stones were notoriously sympathetic to the African American Community, and the related musical history. Unlike many others, they acknowledge where they got their influence from, and celebrate and respect it, rather than just steal it.

With the vast library of songs they have, they don't need to sing one that would alienate a large swath of their paying audience. Why can't you see that it just makes smart business to do this, and quit trying to make a social statement out of everything. Yes, they don't play it anymore, because it is insensitive. When did the right start being against people making their own choices? Is being a racist SO IMPORTANT to you that you have dis someone for trying to be kind to others? What a sad state of affairs.

BTW: Saw them in Charlotte, NC this year. My first time. Great show. If it makes you feel any better, they played Let it Bleed, which also references Keith's love for black prostitutes in the south. And it has a drug reference too, so you should be happy. (They didn't play Happy. I was hoping that would be one of Keef's two songs he sang, but it came the in the show before or after instead....)

Old 10-14-2021, 11:11 AM

7,388 posts, read 3,542,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Have you been to a Stones concert?

took my son born in 1997 a few years back -- he was one of the youngest.

And for the record my kids would all scoff at the idea of banning a song....much the same way many of us scoffed when others campaigned on censoring lyrics.

There was zero public outcry about the song before or while they toured.

The story only started because they dropped the song -- not because of any campaign to ban it.

The Stones decides. They are in their 70's.
They didn't wake up from their coffins one day and decide this on their own. To think that is intellectually dishonest. Something happened and it resulted in this. Trust me.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:26 AM

23,571 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Wait until the wokies discover the Blues, BB King and Lucille will be reviled. Johnny lee hooker, lead belly, jelly roll morton, etc. Wokies have something for every demographic

Blues, born of black origin, will be next on the chopping block?

stalkers favorite refrain, Air Supply..... "Can't live w/o you"....... 'All i need is the air that I breathe just to love you"

Bobby Vee......Go away little girl'....Oh, go away, little girl. Go away, little girl.
It's hurtin' me more each minute that you delay.
When you are near me like this,
You're much too hard to resist.
So, go away, little girl, before I beg you to stay."

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/s/ste...irllyrics.html

sedaka's sweet sixteen,

Tonight's the night I've waited for
Because you're not a baby anymore
You've turned into the prettiest girl I've ever seen,
Happy birthday sweet sixteen

Elvis... now or never

As MO stated in a 2008 in a speech in PR we have to rewrite our history... and the Taliban agreed.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:30 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Maybe they should hire Nick Cannon to sing it.

Old 10-14-2021, 11:37 AM

41,976 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Actually, I think you missed the point completely. Typical I guess.
I'm not the one going on about German voters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
They didn't wake up from their coffins one day and decide this on their own.
You're not paying attention. They've been struggling with this song for quite some time.

Quote:
Trust me.
Hahahaha. No.

Old 10-14-2021, 12:05 PM

13,474 posts, read 4,304,071 times
Listen, the Stones have a long library of songs and they can't play them all in 1 concert especially at their age. They earned the right to play whatever playlist they like live. If you don't like it go buy or download their library and you play whatever you like in your house or car. I think their best stuff is from the 60's when Brian Jones was in the band.

Old 10-14-2021, 12:48 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times
Amazing what some folks will get their knickers in a knot about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies