Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2021, 10:17 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,300,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Just to drive anywhere or eat anything you have to pay an arm and a leg. I dont see companies rolling over backwards to help their employees out financially. They just assume keep the revolving door going and just hope they can find one eyed unicorns to work for the cheapest wage possible while stockpoling all the revenue for themselves. . . How does anyone afford themselves to live much less a family of 5-6 or more.
Hopefully everyone that didn’t vote for this clown will be fine. For those that did can fend for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2021, 10:19 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,300,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Consumer goods are up 5% or so. That doesn’t tell nearly the whole story because it excludes food and energy and housing.

Global food prices are up 33%.

US house prices are up 18% over last year.

Rents are up 9%.

Gasoline as of today is on average up 56% from one year ago. Gas prices are the highest they’ve been in 7 years).

Used car prices are up an average of 32.7%.

Considering the largest amount of monthly expenses are put towards housing, food, car payment and fuel, this is extremely bad.

https://ycharts.com/indicators/us_gas_price

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...st-in-7-years/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...p-in-june/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill...ansitory%3famp
Bingo…and those defending this are delusional.

Old 11-07-2021, 01:32 AM

2,047 posts, read 867,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Inflation started ramping up during the last administration.
Lmao! As they say, “whatever helps you sleep at night“. That is the biggest bunch of nonsense I’ve heard on this form yet. We all know what’s happening. The cost of gasoline? For the first time in US history the United States was completely energy independent prior to the Biden administration taking over and shutting down our pipelines. Shutting down our own production. While voting to allow foreign pipelines to be built. He empowered the oil cartel while depleting our own. He has done everything in his power to prevent the Americans from going back to work, he’s created shortages of everything. The man is mental! And now we find out he most likely was molesting his own daughter while she was growing up.

Old 11-07-2021, 01:05 AM

177 posts, read 122,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSkyz View Post
How many troll accounts do you have?

None. Been here since June of 2017, posting under my only username.

How about you?

Looks like a few days ago you joined right? Or is that just YOUR latest troll account?

Old 11-07-2021, 01:11 AM

33,335 posts, read 12,645,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Just to drive anywhere or eat anything you have to pay an arm and a leg. I dont see companies rolling over backwards to help their employees out financially. They just assume keep the revolving door going and just hope they can find one eyed unicorns to work for the cheapest wage possible while stockpoling all the revenue for themselves. . . How does anyone afford themselves to live much less a family of 5-6 or more.
People shouldn't have families of 5-6 unless they are beyond the point where inflation would matter (materially) to them.

Gas has gone up, but my food cost has gone down. My main staple has stayed exactly the same, and my second staple has gone down because HEB developed their own house brand and it is quite a bit less than even Walmart. I purchase my vitamins when I am close to needing to replenish them and they are on their same periodic sale. Circle K has a 'Sip and Save' program where you get one of any fillable beverage a day for $5.99 per month. You pay, and it doesn't automatically renew. It's controlled by your phone number, so I have one for each of two cell numbers. I get two extra large fresh ground by me coffees, with condiments, each day...so 60 per month that would cost me $1.94 each....$116.40 per month....but I'm paying $12.96 (2 x $5.99 + tax) total instead. Some toiletries have gone up. Car insurance went up, but that is the first renewal since a fender bender I had in South Carolina last year. Homeowner's insurance stayed the same.

Old 11-07-2021, 01:41 AM

33,335 posts, read 12,645,784 times
Quote:
This is the liberal answer to your post:

“But see, these are rich people problems. You should be eating canned peas, not filet. Drive to work? Why aren’t you walking or riding a bicycle? It’s free, it’s good for you, and you’ll save the planet! Feeding your family? We’re overpopulated! Why did you even have kids? And put a sweater on if you’re cold!”
No, that's your view ^^^^^ of a stereotype.

I agree with some of those things, but on some things I'm so conservative most conservatives probably wouldn't agree with me.

Old 11-07-2021, 01:53 AM

2,335 posts, read 819,476 times
Quote:
Consumer goods are up 5% or so. That doesn’t tell nearly the whole story because it excludes food and energy and housing.

Global food prices are up 33%.

US house prices are up 18% over last year.

Rents are up 9%.

Gasoline as of today is on average up 56% from one year ago. (Gas prices are the highest they’ve been in 7 years).

Used car prices are up an average of 32.7%.

Considering the largest amount of monthly expenses are put towards housing, food, car payment and fuel, this is extremely bad.

https://ycharts.com/indicators/us_gas_price

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...st-in-7-years/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...p-in-june/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thehill...ansitory%3famp
Wow, consumer goods are up 5%? I hadn't noticed but BFD. Maybe I'm just a good shopper or am just lucky on when I buy things (recent purchases include a couple of big screen TVs, lots of furniture, and the normal food shopping).

Comparing gas prices to last year is sheer idiocy and as disingenuous as it gets. Most people weren't driving much so clearly demand was at an all time low so DUH, that's going to impact pricing. With that said, I'm paying 50 cents more per gallon since January and that ain't 56% (and really probably about 20% than what's normal in my parts). I'm not too concerned about paying $260 more per year on gas (that's not going to break the budget).

Rents and house prices are up? You say that like it's a bad thing. Some of us don't care and some of us are quite happy about that. We already live in our houses that we bought quite some time ago. Most have gotten a nice windfall on a refi, some have sold, netted out a sweet profit and moved to a lower COL area. Sounds like a win to me.

I guess when I need a new car, I'll have sticker shock, but I usually drive my car into the ground (won't be looking for at least another 7-8 years).

And despite the fact that you don't seem to like people bringing up past inflation, it is absolutely relevant. If you're going to scream about inflation being insane, you need to compare it to something (otherwise how can you claim it's insane). As others have mentioned, most of these posters making this claim are either very young or have amnesia. There's nothing "insane" about where we're at right now.

Got anything else Henny Penny? Right now I'm seeing a big yawner.

Last edited by dicipher; 11-07-2021 at 02:17 AM..

Old 11-07-2021, 01:54 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,279,689 times
What do you consider insane inflation? 300%, 200%? That will be difficult for most families outside the top 1-3%. I don’t think we will get there. We are no where near that now.
Officially inflation is at 5.5%. Let’s say people are reporting a 10% overall inflation rate - which is probably an exaggeration but ok. I do think almost anyone can adjust their budgets to handle that. There was extra money last year from stimulus, ppe and this year from enhanced child tax credits coming in to most family bank accounts. Wages have gone up. Extra employment is available. Doesn’t feel dire at the current level. Shocking yes, but not dire.
The continuing demand for high priced consumer goods and leisure activities is telling a difference story. Plenty are still able to afford the “luxuries”.

Old 11-07-2021, 02:18 AM

24,816 posts, read 9,583,652 times
Liberals said as long as you can finance a $50K Tela, everything else will sort itself out.

Old 11-07-2021, 02:26 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,401,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
Wow, consumer goods are up 5%? I hadn't noticed but BFD. Maybe I'm just a good shopper or am just lucky on when I buy things (recent purchases include a couple of big screen TVs, lots of furniture, and the normal food shopping).

Comparing gas prices to last year is sheer idiocy and as disingenuous as it gets. Most people weren't driving much so clearly demand was at an all time low so DUH, that's going to impact pricing. With that said, I'm paying 50 cents more per gallon since January and that ain't 56% (and really probably about 20% than what's normal in my parts). I'm not too concerned about paying $260 more per year on gas (that's not going to break the budget).

Rents and house prices are up? You say that like it's a bad thing. Some of us don't care and some of us are quite happy about that. We already live in our houses that we bought quite some time ago. Most have gotten a nice windfall on a refi, some have sold, netted out a sweet profit and moved to a lower COL area. Sounds like a win to me.

I guess when I need a new car, I'll have sticker shock, but I usually drive my car into the ground (won't be looking for at least another 7-8 years).

And despite the fact that you don't seem to like people bringing up past inflation, it is absolutely relevant. If you're going to scream about inflation being insane, you need to compare it to something (otherwise how can you claim it's insane). As others have mentioned, most of these posters making this claim are either very young or have amnesia. There's nothing "insane" about where we're at right now.

Got anything else Henny Penny? Right now I'm seeing a big yawner.
Oh Kay, Baghdad Bob.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies