Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 05:32 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

It is anti-racist to oppose critical racist theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 05:32 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
Don't be so dense.

And my answer to your first question - as much as necessary for a full understanding of the black experience in this country, along with the vast and varied contributions by black people to the birth and development of this nation.

Black people and US history are intertwined and inextricable. So sorry, a one-pager glossing over slavery on one side and the civil rights movement on the other isn't going to cut it anymore.

We teach about white people ALL THE TIME. And now when room is made to shine a very harsh light on the realities of our history, you start crying about it. MLK Day must find you foaming at the mouth.

As to your second question - show me an occurrence in school, anywhere in this country where nothing else is talked about or taught besides black people. Otherwise, it's a retarded question.

Why are you afraid of the truth being taught to children?

And any thought on those black veterans getting shafted? Should we just sweep that under the rug and pretend it never happened?
I don't need an entire semester of 'what it's like to understand the black experience' being taught to my kids. There are more important things for my kids to learn...like math and science and critical thinking.

I hope at some point you people realize that constantly pitting one group against the other is going to result in war. Maybe that's what the left wants to it can gain more emergency authorizations.

Old 11-10-2021, 05:33 AM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
CRT is just a way of lining the pockets of the racebaiters of today.

Old 11-10-2021, 05:48 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
As a teacher I can 100% sincerely say that some of the trainings for teachers and lessons to students are objectively racist and illogical in the name of being woke, equitable, and for social justice.

For example, teaching that only whites are responsible for mass global pollution. That is in fact racist to teach that.
I'm not a teacher, but I can safely assume that this is true. "Some" of the trainings....

I think the issue here that one side sees "some" of the ways as racists, so they want to reject the whole thing. It's a MO that that the right follows and uses often.

On the other side, they see "some" things are being whitewashed, and they double-down and want to over-react and point out too much stuff, or even make up ideas that "being white is bad", or some nuance thereof. It is also an MO of "some" on the left, and then the right siezes on that, and tries to negate the entire movement. See above.

The better solution:
Realize that our country has "some" issues in our past that are not savory. We've got a wonderful history, but certainly not a perfect one. Teach where we made mistakes, acknowledge them, and try to educate so we are better, and so we don't keep making the same mistakes. People on BOTH SIDES need to realize that this does not imply that the descendants of those who made the mistakes are not inherently bad. They don't owe anyone anything, other than a fair chance. As such, there is still "some" pervasive ill-effects from our past in today's society. We need to ID these, and continue to improve.

My opinion is that it is not debatable that "some" lasting impacts of slavery, racism, and such still exist. I believe "most" people don't intent that, but it's ingrained in everything we've learned, and that is understandable because, as the saying goes, "history is written by the victors".

Example: I was raised in a Jewish household. I was taught about the evils of the Holocaust. I don't have an ill opinion of Germans, but I have learned enough to see the markings of how the Holocaust was able to happen, and as such, I would like to think I, along with "most" other people, are better equipped to recognize and intervene in some way. I think that is an analogy of how our Racial History should be taught. We should be able to recognize what did happen, what's been fixed, and what has not. To do that, we have to have the discussion. There will always be the noise on the fringe. It's part of the equation and we have to deal with it. We can't shut the whole thing down just because a "few" (aka: "Some") scream too loud. We have to learn and do better.

I guess that's my take. I'm not so concerned on if we call it CRT or something else. I think we have to put the facts on the table, we have to realize that "facts" are subjective when speaking of human nature, and somehow find a way to compassionately try to do better. Always, and in all subjects, not just CRT, not just history, but EVERYTHING. Always do better.

Old 11-10-2021, 06:01 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Don't be so dense.

And my answer to your first question - as much as necessary for a full understanding of the black experience in this country, along with the vast and varied contributions by black people to the birth and development of this nation.

Black people and US history are intertwined and inextricable. So sorry, a one-pager glossing over slavery on one side and the civil rights movement on the other isn't going to cut it anymore.

We teach about white people ALL THE TIME. And now when room is made to shine a very harsh light on the realities of our history, you start crying about it. MLK Day must find you foaming at the mouth.

As to your second question - show me an occurrence in school, anywhere in this country where nothing else is talked about or taught besides black people. Otherwise, it's a retarded question.

And any thought on those black veterans getting shafted? Should we just sweep that under the rug and pretend it never happened?
Agreed. Telling the whole truth about things like redlining creates fear in the hearts of many. And why? It happened. It’s history. Many want the end of slavery and the civil rights movement to put a pin in oppression of blacks and claim it ended right there. That’s nonsense not history.

Old 11-10-2021, 07:51 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Don't be so dense.

Your answer to the first question answers the second question. If you want to spend so much time talking about "full understanding of the black experience in this country, along with the vast and varied contributions by black people to the birth and development of this nation," there won't be much time to talk about anything else. Many things happened in U.S. history, and the country comprises many different people. You really think that there's time to talk about everything that happened in this country for the past few hundred years in a one-year high school course? And no, I don't see how a group of people that made up around 10-15% of the country's population needs to be a major focal point. If anyone is crying and foaming at the mouth here, it's you. Talk about projection.

How much do you even know about U.S. history? If I asked who the second president was, or about the background of the War of 1812, would you be able to tell me, without looking it up?

Last edited by fat lou; 11-10-2021 at 08:14 AM..

Old 11-10-2021, 08:01 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Surprised this was published in Newsweek.

Old 11-10-2021, 08:06 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Agreed. Telling the whole truth about things like redlining creates fear in the hearts of many. And why? It happened. It’s history. Many want the end of slavery and the civil rights movement to put a pin in oppression of blacks and claim it ended right there. That’s nonsense not history.
The U.S. has been involved in some major global events, things that have had a much bigger impact on the world than redlining has had. People in other countries say that Americans are ignorant, and know nothing of the world outside of the United States. You want to take it further than that, and have Americans focus on some very specific, navel-gazing facets of U.S. history.

So how much American history do you know? If I asked you some basic trivia questions, would you be able to answer them?

Old 11-10-2021, 12:42 PM

1,874 posts, read 649,757 times
Quote:
Don't be so dense.

I will opine from an immigrant's perspective.

When I came to the US, it was quickly imprinted to me that there is a contrast between whites and blacks in American society. As I entered the American education system, I learned more details of that contrast, including slavery.

So after my decades of living in the US, including my yrs in the military, my (rhetorical) question to everyone is this: What is the point of learning the details of how blacks were treated after slavery?

1. Do we want to learn how blacks were mistreated so that we can recognize the MECHANISMS of discrimination? Redlining is one such mechanism.

2. Or do we want to learn how blacks were mistreated so that we can demonize whites?

The difference between 1 and 2 are important.

Item 1 is for learning and in my opinion, is best to create a more harmonious society. Clearly, we remove the mechanisms of discrimination wherever we can, and where we cannot, we do not replicate elsewhere and let that particular location of discrimination slowly die. For example, since we cannot change a Klansman's mind, we do not teach our children that set of beliefs.

Item 2 will divide the American people, and from reading Critical Race Theory literature, which I have some in my home library, division is the unspoken intent of CRT supporters. Using the KKK as example, it is not enough to say Klan beliefs are evil, it is another to imply that all whites have inherent Klan moral and genetic potential.

Personally, as an immigrant, I do not want item 2. I started out as a stranger to the US and now I am a family member. I do not want to see all whites as one moral group and all blacks as another moral group, and me not knowing where I stand strictly because my skin tone is in the middle of the two.

Personally, in my opinion as an immigrant, Critical Race Theory does not belong in common American discourse, let alone being taught at any education level. Let CRT be in the fringes like Klan beliefs.

Old 11-10-2021, 12:50 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
I will opine from an immigrant's perspective.

When I came to the US, it was quickly imprinted to me that there is a contrast between whites and blacks in American society. As I entered the American education system, I learned more details of that contrast, including slavery.

So after my decades of living in the US, including my yrs in the military, my (rhetorical) question to everyone is this: What is the point of learning the details of how blacks were treated after slavery?

1. Do we want to learn how blacks were mistreated so that we can recognize the MECHANISMS of discrimination? Redlining is one such mechanism.

2. Or do we want to learn how blacks were mistreated so that we can demonize whites?

The difference between 1 and 2 are important.

Item 1 is for learning and in my opinion, is best to create a more harmonious society. Clearly, we remove the mechanisms of discrimination wherever we can, and where we cannot, we do not replicate elsewhere and let that particular location of discrimination slowly die. For example, since we cannot change a Klansman's mind, we do not teach our children that set of beliefs.

Item 2 will divide the American people, and from reading Critical Race Theory literature, which I have some in my home library, division is the unspoken intent of CRT supporters. Using the KKK as example, it is not enough to say Klan beliefs are evil, it is another to imply that all whites have inherent Klan moral and genetic potential.

Personally, as an immigrant, I do not want item 2. I started out as a stranger to the US and now I am a family member. I do not want to see all whites as one moral group and all blacks as another moral group, and me not knowing where I stand strictly because my skin tone is in the middle of the two.

Personally, in my opinion as an immigrant, Critical Race Theory does not belong in common American discourse, let alone being taught at any education level. Let CRT be in the fringes like Klan beliefs.
well said. CRT is anathema to a just and cohesive country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies