Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 11:05 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Your answer to the first question answers the second question. If you want to spend so much time talking about "full understanding of the black experience in this country, along with the vast and varied contributions by black people to the birth and development of this nation," there won't be much time to talk about anything else. Many things happened in U.S. history, and the country comprises many different people. You really think that there's time to talk about everything that happened in this country for the past few hundred years in a one-year high school course? And no, I don't see how a group of people that made up around 10-15% of the country's population needs to be a major focal point. If anyone is crying and foaming at the mouth here, it's you. Talk about projection.

How much do you even know about U.S. history? If I asked who the second president was, or about the background of the War of 1812, would you be able to tell me, without looking it up?

Black vets... denied home loans... thoughts? Any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 11:13 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I swear on my grandmother's grave that the following things have been taught to teachers at trainings or/and have been taught to students in some classes at the school I teach at:

-Only white people can be racist.

-Whiteness is defined and with negative spins. No other race defined.

-White people are solely responsible for global mass pollution.

-White people are an invasive species.

-If you support capitalism then you support racism.

-Black people have to fear violence everyday from whites.

-All white people are racist.

These teachings are racist and/or illogical.

This leftist racism is being made into systemic racism as the racist teachings become institutionalized.

Racism doesn't belong in schools.
Not saying they aren’t to some degree but it isn’t as widespread as people are making it. Acting as though it is, is dishonest. The above is just plain wrong but the push back against CRT goes beyond that into opposing the teaching of accurate history events. CRT was born because of that refusal. It is a backlash against the denial that exists. CRT supporters need to be honest about the fact that the rhetoric above is purely backlash, dangerous, and has no place in instruction.

Both sides are nauseating.

Old 11-10-2021, 11:16 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
Black vets... denied home loans... thoughts? Any?
They don’t want to teach that. They cry about CRT but CRT is backlash against their denial. Their kids can play video games with physical abuse and murder but don’t teach them about how black vets were treated due to their skin color. That’s too much.

Old 11-10-2021, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
I will opine from an immigrant's perspective.

When I came to the US, it was quickly imprinted to me that there is a contrast between whites and blacks in American society. As I entered the American education system, I learned more details of that contrast, including slavery.

So after my decades of living in the US, including my yrs in the military, my (rhetorical) question to everyone is this: What is the point of learning the details of how blacks were treated after slavery?

1. Do we want to learn how blacks were mistreated so that we can recognize the MECHANISMS of discrimination? Redlining is one such mechanism.

2. Or do we want to learn how blacks were mistreated so that we can demonize whites?

The difference between 1 and 2 are important.

Item 1 is for learning and in my opinion, is best to create a more harmonious society. Clearly, we remove the mechanisms of discrimination wherever we can, and where we cannot, we do not replicate elsewhere and let that particular location of discrimination slowly die. For example, since we cannot change a Klansman's mind, we do not teach our children that set of beliefs.

Item 2 will divide the American people, and from reading Critical Race Theory literature, which I have some in my home library, division is the unspoken intent of CRT supporters. Using the KKK as example, it is not enough to say Klan beliefs are evil, it is another to imply that all whites have inherent Klan moral and genetic potential.

Personally, as an immigrant, I do not want item 2. I started out as a stranger to the US and now I am a family member. I do not want to see all whites as one moral group and all blacks as another moral group, and me not knowing where I stand strictly because my skin tone is in the middle of the two.

Personally, in my opinion as an immigrant, Critical Race Theory does not belong in common American discourse, let alone being taught at any education level. Let CRT be in the fringes like Klan beliefs.

I'm a second-gen immigrant, first-born American with an ambiguous skin tone also that reads Latin to most, but "stranger-danger" to racists. I live in the south, so when I travel outside of the safe zones into the hinterlands, the prolonged stares are hysterical. It's like, I know these people have electricity and must have TV's. Surely, they've seen people like me before. But I like camping, so I gotta deal with the "Deliverance" people. Anyway, to my point.

I don't care about CRT because I know all the drama is manufactured. Cons no longer have gay marriage as a wedge issue. Abortion is hit or miss, and transgender issues are sporadic and localized. But CRT as a driver of conservative angst and agitation is freaking brilliant. Having originated in either a think tank or the bowels of 4-chan, simplifying CRT to a "hate-whitey" distillation is potent enough, but toss in education and you've got parents ready to roll. Virginia is a result of two years worth of work to make CRT the new battle cry and it was played to perfection. Watch for the big fireworks next fall.

Note the responses to my previous posts, though - no mention of the unfairness to whites. But rather complaints about spending TOO much time on anything black related. Black history is "minutiae", not worthy of consideration in an academic setting. That's my problem - the white-washing of history. That black people are only a small percentage of the population so their experiences and contributions aren't good enough to have space and time for children to learn from and about. That's insidious and chilling to me.

And I've been on this forum long enough to see the pattern of denial and/or justification when it comes to atrocities - black and Native American especially.

However, I do wish the wokesters would relax with the constant drumbeat about white people having so much power. A majority of white Americans don't have two nickels to rub together and can't affect anyone's life in any significant fashion, other then getting red-faced angry and coming out to vote.

AND...there are millions of white people who would step in to defend a person of color if under attack, millions of good people who would welcome an accurate history education for the betterment of us all.

Old 11-10-2021, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
They don’t want to teach that. They cry about CRT but CRT is backlash against their denial. Their kids can play video games with physical abuse and murder but don’t teach them about how black vets were treated due to their skin color. That’s too much.

And I asked that guy three times for a comment on the graphic from another poster. Nothing, nada... It's like a mental block "bad things don't happen to black people, bad things don't happen to black people, it's a lie, it's a lie..."

Old 11-11-2021, 01:20 AM

1,874 posts, read 650,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajo13 View Post
That's my problem - the white-washing of history. That black people are only a small percentage of the population so their experiences and contributions aren't good enough to have space and time for children to learn from and about. That's insidious and chilling to me.
Your point is valid. While blacks maybe numerically less than whites, slavery as a gross immorality deserves a distinct section, not a footnote, in teaching American history.

Still, as an immigrant who lived in the US most of my life, and a good portion of that life in military service, I have nowhere else to go. The yrs of psychological and emotional investments I have in the US, in my opinion, made me no less of a citizen than anyone native born. Likewise, where else can American blacks go? The US is their home. When I was active duty and stationed in the UK, my British friends said they can make out an American just from how we walk the streets. In the same vein, American blacks will stand out in any African country. Tolerated but unable to fit in.

Critical Race Theory is not the solution.

Old 11-11-2021, 02:09 AM

24,642 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
I’m black and I don’t want any CRT taught in schools, whatsoever.

Teaching blacks that we’re permanent helpless victims and that whites are permanent superior beings is absurd, and only increases that narrative that we blacks need reparations.

There are many ways to implement curriculum that shines a bigger light on the historic contributions from people of color without framing it through the lease of a victim.

“Hey kids, today we’ll learn about how evil and oppressive white people are, and how blacks still don’t have reparations.”

Not thanks, CRT is a joke.

Old 11-11-2021, 03:54 AM

26,504 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
Not saying they aren’t to some degree but it isn’t as widespread as people are making it. Acting as though it is, is dishonest. The above is just plain wrong but the push back against CRT goes beyond that into opposing the teaching of accurate history events. CRT was born because of that refusal. It is a backlash against the denial that exists. CRT supporters need to be honest about the fact that the rhetoric above is purely backlash, dangerous, and has no place in instruction.

Both sides are nauseating.
The Left is being extremely dishonest.

They push blatantly racist teachings under the guise of "anti-racism" and "diversity and inclusion" trainings.

Then when called out they hyper-focus on CRT and its definition instead of focusing on the reality that they are pushing and institutionalizing systemic racism.

Old 11-11-2021, 05:54 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,234,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The Left is being extremely dishonest.

They push blatantly racist teachings under the guise of "anti-racism" and "diversity and inclusion" trainings.

Then when called out they hyper-focus on CRT and its definition instead of focusing on the reality that they are pushing and institutionalizing systemic racism.
Precisely.

CRT proponents hide behind the smoke screen that being against CRT doctrine is against teaching history - which is utterly totally FALSE.

CRT purposely uses the glass half-empty mindset in its false narrative that US history/society was founded on racism, has racism built into it and will always be racist to only benefit whites.

It paints a dismal divisive past, present and future; the sole intent is to demonize everything that is not black - because everything that is not black represents was and is 'fixed' to oppress them.

It is the framework of this mindset that is dangerous and destructive to everything; from Govt institutions to businesses to schools to the minds of children.

Teach the facts, teach history - but CRT should be utterly rejected for the twisted narrative it weaves to only see the bad and pigeon hole people into roles based only on skin color.

Old 11-11-2021, 06:06 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,432,012 times
Quote:

So.......CRT is a thing and should be taught to school children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies