Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2022, 08:35 PM

73,138 posts, read 62,801,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
He's a psychopath who hates everyone. He literally doesn't care what happens next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2022, 08:37 PM

73,138 posts, read 62,801,778 times
Darrell Brooks most likely admires the attention he's getting. He might have mental illness. He might just be a psychopath. Maybe both.

Old 10-13-2022, 04:00 AM

29,860 posts, read 24,990,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post

Wasn't the guy in the middle of a domestic dispute before the incident? It sounds more like he snapped while in an emotional state.

His whole life was probably one continuous domestic dispute after another. Not a fun way to go through life for him, his family, people who were close to him, etc. The combination of mental illness, anger, drugs, poor outcomes in life, etc, probably led to him acting out this way. He needs to be put somewhere where he is not going to have a chance to hurt others. He has demonstrated he is not fit for civilized society. We all shouldn't have to suffer for his life of trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Darrell Brooks most likely admires the attention he's getting. He might have mental illness. He might just be a psychopath. Maybe both.

Pretty sad that someone would resort to this to get their "15 minutes" of fame. He should have just stuck with making crappy rap songs.

Old 10-13-2022, 07:49 AM

35,262 posts, read 17,174,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
... is an insanity plea involved in his behavior?

Death penalty would wipeout all of this nonsense.
They don't have the death penalty in Wisconsin. He is deserving of it though.
Unfortunately, even the death penalty takes years of elegant, endless hearings, trials and appeals. In the case that is the subject of this thread, there is no serious dispute as to whether Darrell Brooks plowed his car through a holiday parade, resulting in mass carnage. While he withdrew the insanity defense, any trial basically involves a dissection of Darrell Brooks' intentions and his mental health. Since there is no prospect of his safe return to society (except perhaps in the mind of some woke DA's) there is no purpose to allowing him to torture victims and witnesses to the horrific events. This is not the first case.

Recently we passed the 45th anniversary of the arrest of David Berkowitz, the "Son of Sam" murderer (link). Mr. Berkowitz was arrested after a year plus long rampage where he shot people, usually in parked cars late at night, at random. Allegedly, he was commanded by a 1000 year old man talking through a Labrador Retriever owned by a neighbor whose first name was Sam. He was caught when his vehicle received a parking ticket near the scene of a July 31, 1977 murder. He was arrested as he strolled towards the car which had the murder weapon, in plain view, in the back seat.

We have also watched Dylan Rooff, Jared Lochner and James Holmes commit massacres. They were rested at our shortly after the killings. In no case was there serious doubt about their guilt. Jared Lochner's trial was repeatedly delayed until he was medicated to the point where he was "competent" to stand trial. A lot of money on psychiatry and meds down the drain. Similarly, James Holmes, after a trial and sentencing phase somehow escaped capital punishment. It is hard to find a more horrific crime. Thankfully, Adam Lanza and Stephen Paddock died at their own hands during the massacres.

The trials of these people amounted to a psychological dissection of their lives. I frankly don't care about their mental health; they were butchers.

I know we can't officially allow police officers to serve as judge, jury and executioners. The question I have is why more of these people don't perish during a struggle during arrest. Failing that why aren't they mixed with the general prison population or die during an escape attempt? I am not amused by the lengthy imprisonments or, in the case of Manson, the wild, theatrical trials that make a mockery of the court system.

I even argue that Maybe Arrests of Low-Level Criminals Need to Get a Bit Rough and Tumble. I know, I know, this point of view is unpopular among my fellow lawyers but I agree. I have no problem with the police getting more than a little be rough during the arrest. Maybe in the struggle the guy can be badly beaten or killed. I'm sorry, when someone does something so egregious there should be a real penalty, not just some stern-sounding judge doing the finger-wag and letting the guy off with time served, which is often a few minutes with cashless bail. The fact is we don't have the resources for lengthy imprisonment, nor should we use them that way.

The fact is, somehow there should be consequences for putting a Home Depot employee who did nothing wrong but come to work into a hospital in critical condition. See, for example, Man punched Home Depot cashier in the face.

Old 10-13-2022, 10:29 AM

15,467 posts, read 9,161,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The judge is an idiot. Anybody with half a brain could have expected him to turn the trial into a circus.

Old 10-13-2022, 10:34 AM

35,262 posts, read 17,174,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The judge is an idiot. Anybody with half a brain could have expected him to turn the trial into a circus.
Unfortunately, and I am not going to do a Westlaw search, he may have an almost absolute right to self-represent.

Old 10-13-2022, 11:16 AM

8,000 posts, read 3,528,183 times
Scr*w that domestic dispute crap. If a white guy in the middle of a domestic dispute went in a rage and ran a car in to a bunch of black people it would be considered a hate crime especially if he had white nationalist stuff on his social media(but even if he didn't).

Old 10-13-2022, 11:23 AM

31,134 posts, read 22,180,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
Scr*w that domestic dispute crap. If a white guy in the middle of a domestic dispute went in a rage and ran a car in to a bunch of black people it would be considered a hate crime especially if he had white nationalist stuff on his social media(but even if he didn't).
Yep, pretty much

Old 10-13-2022, 10:41 PM

17,760 posts, read 6,999,390 times
Of course this psychopath is also wearing a useless cloth mask. Nice of the judge to let him turn the trial into a circus.

Old 10-14-2022, 11:33 PM

45,712 posts, read 27,332,929 times
The judge has had enough.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies