Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2024, 04:06 PM

8,231 posts, read 3,488,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Wisconsin has a "hidden" death penalty, they just don't do it all official like some states do.

Go read up how Geoffrey Dahmer died in prison (alongside another inmate).

If they had a DP, they could have offered the guy life no parole in a plea deal and saved a lot of time and money.
Did you watch any of the trial? This piece of bleep had no remorse. He would not have taken a plea deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2024, 04:47 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
If Darrell Brooks had been given the death penalty, I would not bother me. On the other hand, I'm convinced we have a segment of the U.S. population which consists of many individuals who don't value life. Individuals who are so steeped in nihilism that the threat of the death penalty means nothing to them. Some of the highest murder rates are among states with the death penalty. Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, etc. There are people who don't care if they live or die. The death penalty won't be enough to have a drastic drop in violent crime.

Last edited by green_mariner; 01-01-2024 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Rest of post should be a separate post.

Old 01-01-2024, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Did you watch any of the trial? This piece of bleep had no remorse. He would not have taken a plea deal.
In my opinion, I don't think Darrell Brooks cares if he lives or dies.

Old 01-01-2024, 04:51 PM

What happened in Waukesha is a clash of two worlds. Waukesha is a Republican-led suburb 21 miles west of Milwaukee. It's a predominantly White (75%), middle class suburb with a Black population around 3.5% (Hispanics are the largest minority in Waukesha, at 14%). Where Darrell Brooks drove from, is Milwaukee. The largest city in Milwaukee, and a considerable part of Milwaukee is rough and dangerous. Wisconsin as a whole has a low violent crime rate. Most of the violent crime comes from Milwaukee. Most of the violent criminals in Wisconsin (and in Wisconsin's prisons) are Black and come from Milwaukee and Racine. BTW, Blacks are 6.3% of Wisconsin's population, which is half of what the national average is.

Wisconsin is basically two worlds. There is the Wisconsin that's part of Americana. Middle America. Modest, low crime, mostly White (with increasing Hispanic populations in some places, and small Black populations in a few smaller cities such as Madison and Green Bay). This Wisconsin consists any part of Wisconsin that isn't Milwaukee proper, Racine proper, or Beloit proper.

And then there is the Wisconsin of Milwaukee, Beloit, and Racine. Cities that have been hit hard by losses in the manufacturing industry. Blacks are 6.3% of Wisconsin's population. 7 out of 10 Blacks live in Milwaukee, Beloit, and Racine. In many cases, some of the poorest, most crime-ridden areas of those respective cities. Wisconsin has one of the poorest Black populations of any American state. Wisconsin has the highest Black incarceration rate of any American state. Wisconsin has one of the highest Black murder rates in America.

When I see the Waukesha murders, I see all of this. I see a clash of two contrasting Wisconsins. I see a violent, mentally unstable, nihilist thug who wanted to kill White people. However, for me, this is just the tip of the iceberg. I think about the social problems that exist in southeast Wisconsin.

Old 01-01-2024, 05:04 PM

30,156 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
How do you stop this? Pop-up spike strips everywhere? Concrete blocks along the parade route?
You worry about your own personal safety and don't go to them.

Old 01-01-2024, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
You worry about your own personal safety and don't go to them.
Parades are a part of American life. Why should anyone stop going to parades?

Old 01-01-2024, 05:19 PM

6,661 posts, read 2,966,569 times
Why we still talking about this bozo?

He killed kids but he wasn't a pedo, sooo, I really am not sure of the prison pecking order there.
If some prison dudes take him out then so be it, let him feel some consequences for once in his life.
But in the meantime, at least he is never going to be on the streets again.

He was toxic thug who lost his mind. what makes him stand out is he is also a Sovereign Cit. and all that comes with it that turned this case into an entertaining train wreck.

Some dude plowed onto the sidewalks in midtown this new years eve too. Similar reasons probably, got into a dispute.,.disrespected,..panicked when confronted and drove into people.

Only difference is I don't think he is a sov cit so his case will be 'normal'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrjHpKdIKyY

Old 01-02-2024, 04:03 AM

3,735 posts, read 2,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
..The death penalty won't be enough to have a drastic drop in violent crime.
I agree.
But I always wonder about this critique of the death penalty.
It's not a solid deterrent, it's a form of proportional justice. If someone takes a life, they lose their life. I don't think the death penalty should be evaluated as a success or failure as a deterrent. I believe it should be measured by its justness.

Old 01-02-2024, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
I agree.
But I always wonder about this critique of the death penalty.
It's not a solid deterrent, it's a form of proportional justice. If someone takes a life, they lose their life. I don't think the death penalty should be evaluated as a success or failure as a deterrent. I believe it should be measured by its justness.
This is the thing though. I seek prevention, a strong deterrent. The death penalty isn't going to be a deterrent to those who just don't care if they live or die. It isn't only justice that I seek. It's success that I see. To me, the whole point is to get the murder rate as low as the murder rates in countries like Japan, South Korea, Canada, New Zealand, etc.

Old 01-02-2024, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
Why we still talking about this bozo?

He killed kids but he wasn't a pedo, sooo, I really am not sure of the prison pecking order there.
If some prison dudes take him out then so be it, let him feel some consequences for once in his life.
But in the meantime, at least he is never going to be on the streets again.

He was toxic thug who lost his mind. what makes him stand out is he is also a Sovereign Cit. and all that comes with it that turned this case into an entertaining train wreck.

Some dude plowed onto the sidewalks in midtown this new years eve too. Similar reasons probably, got into a dispute.,.disrespected,..panicked when confronted and drove into people.

Only difference is I don't think he is a sov cit so his case will be 'normal'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrjHpKdIKyY
Anyone in prison who hurts children gets beaten up and even killed. Pedophiles aren't the only crimes against children that will get an inmate killed.

Darrell Brooks will never be on the streets again. That is guaranteed. However, I look at this crime as just the tip of the iceberg. There are more toxic, violent thugs like him out there. The violent, ghetto parts of Milwaukee have more violent thugs like Darrell Brooks. Darrell Brooks drove his SUV to Waukesha to commit murder. If he can do it, anyone can.

Generally, the whole idea has been to just leave the inner city and go to the suburbs. And most of the time, that's worked. It's worked in terms of getting away from violent crime. However, Darrell Brooks driving from Milwaukee from Waukesha has proven something. Sometimes the violent crime can come to you anyway. This is more than just mental health. There are more problems to consider. Milwaukee itself has a high violent crime rate. Milwaukee itself has many problems that some people are good at ignoring, or think won't reach them. Generally, those problems won't reach the suburbs. However, it can happen. Back in March, two women from Milwaukee stabbed a man in Wauwatosa over a missing burger order. In 2021, there was a shooting at a Red Lobster in Wauwatosa. The suspects were from Milwaukee. Crime has been bleeding over into Brown Deer too.

What made Waukesha look really crazy was who was doing it and where. A Black male criminal from inner city Milwaukee, driving to a predominantly White, Republican suburb, with the explicit purpose of killing White people. If anyone wants to use this story to whip up unlimited fear, this would be the story to do with it. It could easily be used to paint the picture of "You can't escape from Black crime. Black crime will come to you no matter where you go". Anyone with an unscrupulous mindset could use it for that purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies