Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 06:11 PM

10,482 posts, read 6,999,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
This is a pointless thread. We will never unload all of those American citizens in PR.

There is not even a 1% chance of this happening.

That said, I would be in favor of it.
Puerto Rican American citizenship is not protected by the 14th Ammendment and be taken away.

Old 12-03-2021, 06:15 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedster24 View Post
Just drag Greenland far south enough to grow palm trees.
Hank Johnson says we can't do that... it might tip over!

Old 12-03-2021, 06:16 PM

13,458 posts, read 4,292,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Wrong. The President is basically the only person who can do treaties and only needs 67 Senators to agree (not even congress). Also precedent has already been made with Thomas Jefferson and the Louisiana purchase. Andrew Jackson purchasing Alaska with 2/3 approval of the Senate.
Please, you take comedy too far. Why don't you stop. The Constitution gives to the Senate the sole power to approve, by a two-thirds vote, treaties negotiated by the executive branch. Congress(it means also the Senate) has ONLY the power to admit territories and states in the Union.

That means the Senate has the final say not the President in this topic.

Old 12-03-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Please, you take comedy too far. Why don't you stop. The Constitution gives to the Senate the sole power to approve, by a two-thirds vote, treaties negotiated by the executive branch. Congress(it means also the Senate) has ONLY the power to admit territories and states in the Union.

That means the Senate has the final say not the President in this topic.
Thanks for repeating what I said to correct you. Yes, the Senate approves however it is the President who initiates the treaty. The Senate doesnt go rougue making treaties, they are responding to the Presidents request.

Old 12-03-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Puerto Rican American citizenship is not protected by the 14th Ammendment and be taken away.

Another lie. All U.S. Citizenship (There are only 2, natural and naturalization) are protected by the 14th amendment. Puerto Rico are natural born citizen by an act of Congress (the constitution gives only Congress the power to do this) The Supreme Court already ruled on this decades ago that Congress once it declares U.S. Citizenship it can't be taken away involuntarily. Just stop, you take comedy too far.

by the way, since you know what are you talking about, name 1 time the U.S. government have taken U.S. Citizenship involuntarily ever? Name 1. Wake me up.....

Old 12-03-2021, 06:25 PM

Quote:

You are 104 years late. The debate to make Puerto Rico a U.S. territory and make them U.S. Citizens was decided and passed in 1917. If you have any objections then you should take a time machine and make your case in the U.S. Congress. It wouldn't matter because it was passed with a super majority in the House and Senate. So your opinion would be like today, worthless.
The territorial map of the world 100 years ago looks alot different than it does today, it looked much different 100 years before that and will look much different 100 years from now.

Just for argument sake yes, Citizenship can be taken away from Puerto Ricans as outlined by the law. Also, Puerto Rico is not homogeneous to America and can easily be packaged and traded.

Old 12-03-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Another lie. All U.S. Citizenship (There are only 2, natural and naturalization) are protected by the 14th amendment. Puerto Rico are natural born citizen by an act of Congress (the constitution gives only Congress the power to do this) The Supreme Court already ruled on this decades ago that Congress once it declares U.S. Citizenship it can't be taken away involuntarily. Just stop, you take comedy too far.

by the way, since you know what are you talking about, name 1 time the U.S. government have taken U.S. Citizenship involuntarily ever? Name 1. Wake me up.....
Im not even going to argue with you about PR citizenship being taking away. Its black and white even in Wikipedia that it can be.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impl...litical_status

As such, the American citizenship of Puerto Ricans can be taken away by the U.S. Congress unilaterally.

Old 12-03-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks for repeating what I said to correct you. Yes, the Senate approves however it is the President who initiates the treaty. The Senate doesnt go rougue making treaties, they are responding to the Presidents request.

Then what I wrote originally is correct. The Senate approves any treaty. A President can write what he wants on a paper but if the Senate doesn't approves it, it's meaningless. Just like Congress (that's Senate for you also) are the only ones that can admit new territories and states and are the only body in our constitution that can declare a territory under full jurisdiction of the federal government, U.S. Citizens. Not the President. So you lost me that Trump or any President will do what you wrote. It's comedy.

Old 12-03-2021, 06:39 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Wrong. The President is basically the only person who can do treaties and only needs 67 Senators to agree (not even congress). Also precedent has already been made with Thomas Jefferson and the Louisiana purchase. Andrew Jackson purchasing Alaska with 2/3 approval of the Senate.

I would just say dump Puerto Rico. No longer a territory and they are no longer citizens. The government is difficult and ungrateful. Its not in our interest to have these territories. Especially when they are in hurricane zones and have to rebuild them every few years.

Old 12-03-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Then what I wrote originally is correct. The Senate approves any treaty. A President can write what he wants on a paper but if the Senate doesn't approves it, it's meaningless. Just like Congress (that's Senate for you also) are the only ones that can admit new territories and states and are the only body in our constitution that can declare a territory under full jurisdiction of the federal government, U.S. Citizens. Not the President. So you lost me that Trump or any President will do what you wrote. It's comedy.
Its not comedy, Trump wants Greenland, and the idea has been proposed.

I dont know if an approval rating has ever been made of American favoritism of Puerto Rico, but its a fair make conjecture that Americans would be okay with giving PR its own independence or giving it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies