Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 05:17 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,448,539 times

Advertisements

How is it disrespectful to have subtitles in a language for a film playing in a country that most of the population speaks that language?

That makes zero sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2021, 05:18 PM

15,680 posts, read 10,464,474 times
why would i pay to see a movie if i wouldn't understand the dialogue? i wouldn't.

too bad non-spanish speaking audiences will be excluded from enjoying the film.
non-spanish speaking people are most of the world's population by the way: english, mandarin chinese, hindi, and then spanish.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:18 PM

2,367 posts, read 916,316 times
What's the point of this remake? The whole success of West Side Story was Leonard Bernstein's music. There's not much acting and dialogue. It's all singing, all about music, and dance choreography. Someone is trying to out-do Jerome Robbins?

Old 12-07-2021, 05:27 PM

14,831 posts, read 12,107,229 times
The question is will they be providing Spanish subtitles over the English speaking bits so that Spanish speakers can understand what they're saying?

Old 12-07-2021, 05:29 PM

6,882 posts, read 3,111,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The question is will they be providing Spanish subtitles over the English speaking bits so that Spanish speakers can understand what they're saying?
Alright,..we gotta draw the line somewhere!

I'd only do that if I were watching a Nolan movie

Old 12-07-2021, 05:33 PM

16,767 posts, read 8,756,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
That is about as stupid as stupid gets.

An overwhelming number of Americans do not speak Spanish, so how is his predominantly English speaking audience suppose to keep up?
Seriously!

One of my favorite sub warfare movies is "Das Boot", and is considered in the top 3 of all time. However if it did not have English subtitles, I wouldn't have understood most of the movie.

I guess Spielberg has been infected with PC wokeness, and the fact he said he might have Indiana Jones be a woman in the next movie, was not some absurd joke.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:40 PM

12,449 posts, read 8,249,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
One more reason not to bother paying to see it. First reason is that remakes are never as good as the original.

Did he cast all the Jets from Italian Americans? For authenticity, you know.
Tony might have been Italian but the original movie made a point about the multiethnic Jets but all White boys. One of them being called out as Polish and another named Arab.

Old 12-07-2021, 05:41 PM

6,882 posts, read 3,111,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
That is about as stupid as stupid gets.

An overwhelming number of Americans do not speak Spanish, so how is his predominantly English speaking audience suppose to keep up?
Seriously!

One of my favorite sub warfare movies is "Das Boot", and is considered in the top 3 of all time. However if it did not have English subtitles, I wouldn't have understood most of the movie.

I guess Spielberg has been infected with PC wokeness, and the fact he said he might have Indiana Jones be a woman in the next movie, was not some absurd joke.
I'm trying to think of a movie where I 'got' it even though I didn't understand the words and the first thing that came to mind was funnily enough, that Romeo & Juliet movie with Leonardo. ;p

It comes down to the performance to convey. Stuff like the opening of UP, where there wasn't any dialogue but you still got it. I wonder if that's the angle he is going for.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:16 PM

26,170 posts, read 19,118,493 times
This is one place where my opinions differ significantly from the "right." Languages. I have nothing against languages. I speak Spanish. And a little Norwegian and French. English is my native language, but from a linguistics point of view, I certainly see it is not a perfect language at all. I'm not and never have been an "English only" person. I believe that if you live in the US, you should be able to communicate in English. But what you choose to speak on your own time is none of my business. That's the way liberty works. Sometimes we have to put aside our opinions and practice what we preach if we truly believe in liberty.

As far as the movie, so what? I don't watch woke attempts at movies, regardless of the language. No skin off my nose.

And as far as "what the Spanish did"... I'll bet not a one of you have read of the cultures they encountered and what THEY did. There were no good guys. Just winners and losers. Do you folks really think a couple of hundred Spaniards with muskets and crossbows that were not really that much superior to archers took over the entire Aztec Empire all alone? If so, you are dreaming. The Aztecs had enemies long before the Spaniards arrived. And you should read about what the Aztecs did to those enemies before you start casting stones at the Spanish and their quest for gold. You're choosing one poisonous snake over the other.

Old 12-07-2021, 06:25 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,699,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPibbs View Post
What's the point of this remake? The whole success of West Side Story was Leonard Bernstein's music. There's not much acting and dialogue. It's all singing, all about music, and dance choreography. Someone is trying to out-do Jerome Robbins?
Not to mention, the theme is no longer relevant. It was based on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet and pairings among different classes, races, ethnicities, and religions are no longer pearl-clutching and taboo.

If they really wanted to be woke, they'd have Tony played by Ashton Sanders and Maria played by Anthony Ramos.

Last edited by MPowering1; 12-07-2021 at 06:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies